Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Regarding the history of the project, from what I remember ...

Very early (before Gerwig was even announced as having involvement), Dinklage made his comments and Disney responded by saying they had spoken to the little person community (I have no idea what is the current politically correct language) and was taking a "different approach" to the seven characters. Shortly after that, the guy playing the love interest was announced and the rumors were that he wasn't a prince, but instead a Robin Hood-like character and that his seven companions would be stand-ins for the role the Seven Dwarfs played in the animated film. Then the infamous photo leaked of the Seven Hobos of Benetton (which featured six full sized persons and one little person) - receiving a ton of ridicule. Shortly after that, the actor who played the little person in Captain Jack's crew in the Pirates movies made a comment at a comic con that he was playing Grumpy in the new film. Then Disney, who originally said the infamous photo was not real, backtracked and said it wasn't an official production photo and that the image was featuring stand-ins. Then there was anonymous rumors that the film did not have seven dwarfs, but instead, there would be seven non-dwarfs who each would turn into one of seven "magical creatures." Then the actress made her stupid comments and there was the really bad backlash. And then maybe like a month later (it could have been longer) Disney came out with the image of the actress dancing with some CGI dwarfs.

All of this could be researched in this very thread. The infamous image popped up on like Page 5 or 6.
Couple things -

1. Dinklage made his comments in 2022, as did Martin Klebba (little person from Pirates) made his statement about being Grumpy in 2022, and Greta Gerwig was involved in 2021. Everything else happened in 2023. So your timeline is a bit off.
2. While all of that was happening about the photo in 2023 early screenings were taking place at the exact same time, which confirms that dwarfs were part of the movie. This is what has been discussed in the last couple pages.

erasure fan1

There’s very little evidence changes were made and, if they were, no evidence as to why.
I wouldn't say very little. The fact that the movie was delayed what, a year? That's fairly strong evidence they did something. Movies very rarely get delayed that long and nothing was changed. As for the why, you're right, we don't know why. All we have is assumptions.

AdventureHasAName

I’m referring to your footnote: “I really don't care that much; I'm already convinced the film is gonna suck.” Why post here at all if you don’t care?
The same reason I post about EPCOT Center even though it's a shell of itself circa-1991. I have nostalgia and respect for what I once loved, even if the people who control it today have no nostalgia and respect for it.

Screamface

Looks like they added an Ultra Deluxe Greenscreen video package to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

It all seems so artificial.

Not really a fan of the trend of nostalgia bait of playing a few works from a song. Let me get a sense of the new version of the song. Otherwise, it's just, "remember Whistle while you work." Then add to that we won't get cute CGI animals doing the cleaning 😥 If they're not going in anyway for realism, why not embrace the fun stuff you can do with animation?

I'll wait for the full trailer to reserve judgment. Ok, one more snarky comment. I saw a video recently of terrible line reads from Gal Gadot, so that's all I could think of when she was speaking in the trailer.

DKampy

Barbie is definitely a girls brand and I'd guess that helped it. I don't believe Disney wants a film of this profile and budget to be labeled a "girl" film. I can't see a scenario where this budget isn't massive. So it's probably going to need a fairly broad audience to show up.

As far as the strong female characters go. I have two daughters and there is no shortage of female characters for them to latch on to.
A broad audience showed up for Barbie….it would not of become a billion dollar film without it

MoonRakerSCM

I'm sitting here thinking the two times "Whistle while you work" is sung it has a modern cadence/bite to it that I'm not a fan of and seems out of place.

The title scene (end of trailer) makes me wonder if they might go for a sort of Wizard of Oz moment? Have the film be dark/melancholy through the beginning and only become awash in color once the forest opens up as friendly to Snow White.

Miss Rori

Looks like they added an Ultra Deluxe Greenscreen video package to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

It all seems so artificial.
A comment on Bluesky that's stuck with me called it cheap, and I think that's valid no matter what the budget actually is on this. It seems incredibly cramped too, in a way even previous remakes didn't.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was able to see this earlier. It explains the comment about face-acting being very good.
I didn't get to see it, but assumed that any face actor's performance would have been used as a model for the facial expressions of the CGI characters. So agree it explains why the comments were made.

erasure fan1

I caught this before it was taken down. It bodes well for those who want this to be a safe retread of the original (at least aesthetically). The dwarfs still read as little people, except in the form of CGI caricatures, so I’m not sure what was gained by this approach rather than giving the roles to actual (little) actors.
Probably nothing. If you hate remakes, it doesn't matter if it's CG or actors. The people who don't mind the live action remakes I'd think would want, I don't know, live action? I won't see this in a theater but if I had to go, I'd rather it be live action not CG.

Chi84

Premium Member
Probably nothing. If you hate remakes, it doesn't matter if it's CG or actors. The people who don't mind the live action remakes I'd think would want, I don't know, live action? I won't see this in a theater but if I had to go, I'd rather it be live action not CG.
They’re probably aiming it more toward the people who are open to seeing it in a theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom