Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Ghost93

I heard what she said and didn’t find it disparaging in any way.

I think the characters are beloved but I wonder how many people have actually seen the film. My kids haven’t, and I watched it for the first time last year.
I was born in the 90s and adored it as a kid. Snow White isn't as big today as it used to be, but I still think a fair number of people have seen it. It had like 10 theatrical releases in the 20th century and is the top 10 highest grossing movie of all time, adjusted for inflation.

In the United States, it has sold 28 million VHS tapes, 5 million DVDs and about 3 million Blu Rays.

Farerb

I was born in the 90s and adored it as a kid. Snow White isn't as big today as it used to be, but I still think a fair number of people have seen it. It had like 10 theatrical releases in the 20th century and is the top 10 highest grossing movie of all time, adjusted for inflation.

In the United States, it has sold 28 million VHS tapes, 5 million DVDs and about 3 million Blu Rays.
I'm not familiar with Disney fans who haven't seen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and don't at least appreciate its artistry or its significance, but this forum is filled with people who only started liking Disney once it became a corporation that needs to be defended at all costs (I guess around 2011-2013).

Animaniac93-98

I think the movie might be surprisingly good or at least not terrible with Greta Gerwig and Mark Webb's involvement

While those individuals may have worked on the project, it's possible executive meddling may have curtailed things that would give this remake any distinctive voice of its own.

By and large, these live-action remakes have been uninspired rehashes, regardless of who's involved.

I'm not expecting Snow White to be different.

Farerb

People think this movie is going to be a masterpiece because of Greta Gerwig when she only had limited involvement:

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not familiar with Disney fans who haven't seen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and don't at least appreciate its artistry or its significance, but this forum is filled with people who only started liking Disney once it became a corporation that needs to be defended at all costs (I guess around 2011-2013).
It also has its fair share of people who don’t care for Disney at all.

Ghost93

People think this movie is going to be a masterpiece because of Greta Gerwig when she only had limited involvement:

I in no way think it will be a masterpiece, but it's possible it won't be the trainwreck we all have feared.

Farerb

That’s a rather tendentious framing. Would you describe Maleficent and Cruella in the same way?
At most I'd say they don't understand the original characters but they are so divorced from them that I actually don't consider them remakes. Maleficent is basically a Frozen remake and Cruella just feels like a fanfic about the character, but neither felt like they had contempt for the originals and it feels like the only people who look forward to this film are people who don't like or don't care about the original, probably in order to defend Rachel Zegler's comments about it (I personally don't care, she's allowed to voice her opinions), but everything you hear about it, including plot details which I won't share because of spoilers, including some songs they are keeping and some they are dropping for being "offensive", I just gotta ask who's the target audience for it. If this story is so problematic why remake it in the first place only to change everything about it until it is unrecognizable but you still call it "Snow White" and you still call it a live action remake.

This movie is a mistake just like Pinocchio and I'm willing to bet that it will make less than The Little Mermaid.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At most I'd say they don't understand the original characters but they are so divorced from them that I actually don't consider them remakes. Maleficent is basically a Frozen remake and Cruella just feels like a fanfic about the character, but neither felt like they had contempt for the originals and it feels like the only people who look forward to this film are people who don't like or don't care about the original, probably in order to defend Rachel Zegler's comments about it (I personally don't care, she's allowed to voice her opinions), but everything you hear about it, including plot details which I won't share because of spoilers, including some songs they are keeping and some they are dropping for being "offensive", I just gotta ask who's the target audience for it. If this story is so problematic why remake it in the first place only to change everything about it until it is unrecognizable but you still call it "Snow White" and you still call it a live action remake.

This movie is a mistake just like Pinocchio and I'm willing to bet that it will make less than The Little Mermaid.
Even the original is not the "original" as Disney took liberties with the story from the Grimm fairytale. This version is just another re-imagining of that same story, its no different than any of the other many retellings of the Snow story by MANY others.

I personally like the original just fine, and respect the history it has within the company, and I'm looking forward to this re-imagining of a classic fairytale.

One does not have to hate, have contempt for, or not respect the original in order to want to see or enjoy this new take on the classic story. One just has to be open minded and understand that stories get retold over and over and over in our society each with their own take on it.

LittleBuford

I'm a huge fan of the original film, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in seeing this new version if I detected any contempt for it. Am I confident it's going to be any good? Truthfully, no, but that's less because it may stray from the source material than because I have found most of the remakes to be redundant (The Lion King being the worst offender). I would actually prefer something that, like Maleficent and Cruella, takes a very different approach relative to the original film. At least that would give it an original purpose.

As to the target audience, I imagine they're catering to the same audiences who went to see all the other remakes and reboots. I have no idea how it will fare, though I'd be surprised if it does especially well.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm a huge fan of the original film, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in seeing this new version if I detected any contempt for it. Am I confident it's going to be any good? Truthfully, no, but that's less because it may stray from the source material than because I have found most of the remakes to be redundant (The Lion King being the worst offender). I would actually prefer something that, like Maleficent and Cruella, takes a very different approach relative to the original film. At least that would give it an original purpose.

As to the target audience, I imagine they're catering to the same audiences who went to see all the other remakes and reboots. I have no idea how it will fare, though I'd be surprised if it does especially well.
Disney seems to have created 3 types of remakes…

The true to the original retelling (Lion King, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast) are nearly identical to the original, generally not liked as much as the original, but have been cash cows.

The related story, it isn’t a retelling of the original but loosely based off the original (Cruella, Maleficent, etc), they have been generally well receive and are my favorites because they feel like new stories.

The last type is the loose retelling of the original story but changing it (Pinnochio, Peter Pan and Wendy, Dumbo, etc), these have been generally poorly received.

It’s surprising to me that Disney hasn’t noticed the trend, give us a generic remake and you typically make bank, give us a new story and you might not make money but you’ll make something rewatchable, give us a “different take” and you generally lose money and are quickly forgotten.

LittleBuford

Disney seems to have created 3 types of remakes…

The true to the original retelling (Lion King, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast) are nearly identical to the original, generally not liked as much as the original, but have been cash cows.

The related story, it isn’t a retelling of the original but loosely based off the original (Cruella, Maleficent, etc), they have been generally well receive and are my favorites because they feel like new stories.

The last type is the loose retelling of the original story but changing it (Pinnochio, Peter Pan and Wendy, Dumbo, etc), these have been generally poorly received.

It’s surprising to me that Disney hasn’t noticed the trend, give us a generic remake and you typically make bank, give us a new story and you might not make money but you’ll make something rewatchable, give us a “different take” and you generally lose money and are quickly forgotten.
My concern is that Snow White has been changed from the second category to the third (after those admittedly bad production pictures were leaked). Even if the first is the more lucrative approach, it's not one I myself favour.

Vegas Disney Fan

My concern is that Snow White has been changed from the second category to the third (after those admittedly bad production pictures were leaked). Even if the first is the more lucrative approach, it's not one I myself favour.
I think SW has been firmly in the third category since it was conceived, Mufasa seems like a second category film though and I can’t wait to see what they come with for that one.

AdventureHasAName

How long have you felt this way? I fall into most of those categories (although patriarchal seems weird) and I don’t think Disney hates me. Just the opposite.
I don't think Disney hates you. I think a very small powerful group of creatives (and a handful of executives who hired them) working for Disney hate you. And I have felt that way since 2017-ish. It was evident before then, but I only came to that conclusion around 2017.

LittleBuford

How long have you felt this way? I fall into most of those categories (although patriarchal seems weird) and I don’t think Disney hates me. Just the opposite.
What makes the framing especially weird is that the biggest shift in Disney storytelling relative to these talking points surely came during the Renaissance, which is when we saw the emergence of strong female leads like Belle and Jasmine who loudly questioned the expectations of their patriarchal societies. Most recent Disney films have done little more than build timidly on this Renaissance legacy. Frozen and Moana went a bit further, but both preceded by a few years—and therefore escaped—the kind of ideological ire that is now so predictable. I’m convinced that Frozen would be accused of all sorts of things if it came out today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom