Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

DKampy

If it requires an entire article to try to justify her comments, perhaps her comments should have been better thought out (at minimum), especially as the leading lady of the film. Ideally, the studio has gotten her media trained now and she won't embarrass herself and the company when the pre-release press engagements start.
No article needed… there is nowhere in her comments I heard that bash Disney’s original Snow White… it’s just a certain group of online people who twist her words to fit their anti- Disney narrative

TP2000

I think we already know SW2024 will cost more to make and market than it will bring at the box office really because they spend too much money making their films in general.

Forbes reported that Disney had already spent $209 Million on its production budget when principal filming wrapped up, with more money being spent on it in post-production and editing. Let's be optimistic and say it will cost $225 Million production, and let's be conservative and say they only spend $75 Million on its marketing.

That would mean it's going to need roughly $600 Million at the global box office to break even.

Disstevefan1

Forbes reported that Disney had already spent $209 Million on its production budget when principal filming wrapped up, with more money being spent on it in post-production and editing. Let's be optimistic and say it will cost $225 Million production, and let's be conservative and say they only spend $75 Million on its marketing.

That would mean it's going to need roughly $600 Million at the global box office to break even.
And we also must remember they state the budget numbers but we have no idea how much over budget they go.
Just a guess on my part but I think this movie is going to lose money.

BUT as we are seeing, its perfectly OK for Disney to lose money over and over.

Their goal only to updater the stories for modern audiences, not for mass appeal. Money does not matter.

Chi84

Premium Member
And we also must remember they state the budget numbers but we have no idea how much over budget they go.
Just a guess on my part but I think this movie is going to lose money.

BUT as we are seeing, its perfectly OK for Disney to lose money over and over.

Their goal only to updater the stories for modern audiences, not for mass appeal. Money does not matter.
Their goal is to appeal to modern audiences in order to get mass appeal today. Sometimes the material doesn't need much or anything at all, as in TLM, but I honestly defy anyone to write a screenplay for the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs that lasts longer than 30 minutes. Even the original Brothers Grimm version is extremely short.

DKampy

It’s just people hearing the same words but interpret them in a different manner. Which happens every day in life. People form opinions differently. It’s not a big deal.
Except… I believe it does have a lot to do with nerdrage(to
Borrow a word from @MisterPenguin) Zegler’s interviews went largely unnoticed for over a year until a certain online community look to see what could they pick apart to fit their narrative…and their fan community will largely agree with whatever they say whether it is true or not

Marionnette

Except… I believe it does have a lot to do with nerdrage(to
Borrow a word from @MisterPenguin) Zegler’s interviews went largely unnoticed for over a year until a certain online community look to see what could they pick apart to fit their narrative…and their fan community will largely agree with whatever they say whether it is true or not
Very true. But that doesn't change what she said or how people received her messaging. There are plenty of examples of online communities digging up past statements by targeted individuals in order to disparage them. The question is only whether one sees those statements as impactful or inconsequential.

Tha Realest

Very true. But that doesn't change what she said or how people received her messaging. There are plenty of examples of online communities digging up past statements by targeted individuals in order to disparage them. The question is only whether one sees those statements as impactful or inconsequential.
It’s all also weirdly paternalistic.

LSLS

Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about what these actors say about the films they were hired to act in? What possible difference could it make to whether or not you enjoy the movie?
Eh, somewhat. But I can see statements giving you impressions of a movie. I'd assume that major actors would not take rolls in movies where they completely disagree with everything the script discusses. So if an actor is making a statement, I'd assume the movie doesn't go against the actor's thoughts. Like, if I saw Sean Penn was playing George Bush in a movie, I'd assume that movie will not discuss all the great things he did in Iraq.

Disstevefan1

Their goal is to appeal to modern audiences in order to get mass appeal today. Sometimes the material doesn't need much or anything at all, as in TLM, but I honestly defy anyone to write a screenplay for the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs that lasts longer than 30 minutes. Even the original Brothers Grimm version is extremely short.
From the outside it doesn’t seem they are hitting their goals, but they define what their goals are and they define what they call success, so I am sure they are very happy with how things are going.

Vegas Disney Fan

Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about what these actors say about the films they were hired to act in? What possible difference could it make to whether or not you enjoy the movie?

What they say may not ultimately change the movie but whether the star is likable or not will have a big impact on the box office. I’ll see a lot of movies simply because I like the lead actor, I’ll also avoid movies because I dislike a lead actor, she’s not doing the studio any favors by making comments that come off as negative.

It’s less about enjoying the movie and more about not seeing the movie at all because you don’t like an actor in it.

DKampy

What they say may not ultimately change the movie but whether the star is likable or not will have a big impact on the box office. I’ll see a lot of movies simply because I like the lead actor, I’ll also avoid movies because I dislike a lead actor, she’s not doing the studio any favors by making comments that come off as negative.

It’s less about enjoying the movie and more about not seeing the movie at all because you don’t like an actor in it.
Well with that sentiment I guess we will have a good idea how people feel when the upcoming Hunger Games Prequel is released to theaters since Rachel Zegler has a staring role

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Eh, somewhat. But I can see statements giving you impressions of a movie. I'd assume that major actors would not take rolls in movies where they completely disagree with everything the script discusses. So if an actor is making a statement, I'd assume the movie doesn't go against the actor's thoughts. Like, if I saw Sean Penn was playing George Bush in a movie, I'd assume that movie will not discuss all the great things he did in Iraq.
Ask Christian Bale about Vice or even Josh Brolin about W., that'll answer your questions on that....

Actors play roles all the time where they don't agree with the source material or figure they are portraying, and its very common for them to comment on the same as reporters ask them about it.

LSLS

Ask Christian Bale about Vice or even Josh Brolin about W., that'll answer your questions on that....

Actors play roles all the time where they don't agree with the source material or figure they are portraying, and its very common for them to comment on the same as reporters ask them about it.
Honestly didn't see them, but reading the plot for Vice, doesn't that back up my claim? It sounds like it shows Cheney in a negative light (from wiki.: "Cheney's actions are shown to lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq, resulting in him receiving record-low approval ratings by the end of the Bush administration.").

As for W., don't know. The plot doesn't sound negative, and I don't know everything about why he took the role/how he approached/etc. I'm not saying that this is some sort of 100% you can tell a movie from who is cast, but I can see making assumptions based on the casting. Take away if what she said was bashing the old movie and all that stuff, if people believe she was attacking how the old movie was portrayed, can you see why those same people could assume she would not be in a film portraying it the same way?

But in the end, I'd agree with a lot here that it's kind of funny to be judging this movie without even a trailer. I'm pessimistic on it because the only remakes I want are ones where they tell the story from a different perspective/timeline (and I don't have high hopes we are getting that here), but I'm definitely not judging yet personally. I'm just saying I can kind of see why some people jump at what an actor says and it could impact their thoughts on the movie coming out (and again, I don't care what she said about the older film, but what she says about her version doesn't get me too excited).

Vegas Disney Fan

Well with that sentiment I guess we will have a good idea how people feel when the upcoming Hunger Games Prequel is released to theaters since Rachel Zegler has a staring role
It is a factor but not the only one, or even the biggest one.

If 10% of the potential audience choose to go because of an actor, or not to go as a result of the actor, it can be the difference between making a profit or millions in losses though.

IMHO the Hunger Games and Snow both have bigger issues than the actors, the Hunger Games prequel feels about a decade too late and Snows story changes are going to make Ziegler’s comments largely irrelevant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Honestly didn't see them, but reading the plot for Vice, doesn't that back up my claim? It sounds like it shows Cheney in a negative light (from wiki.: "Cheney's actions are shown to lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq, resulting in him receiving record-low approval ratings by the end of the Bush administration.").

As for W., don't know. The plot doesn't sound negative, and I don't know everything about why he took the role/how he approached/etc. I'm not saying that this is some sort of 100% you can tell a movie from who is cast, but I can see making assumptions based on the casting. Take away if what she said was bashing the old movie and all that stuff, if people believe she was attacking how the old movie was portrayed, can you see why those same people could assume she would not be in a film portraying it the same way?

But in the end, I'd agree with a lot here that it's kind of funny to be judging this movie without even a trailer. I'm pessimistic on it because the only remakes I want are ones where they tell the story from a different perspective/timeline (and I don't have high hopes we are getting that here), but I'm definitely not judging yet personally. I'm just saying I can kind of see why some people jump at what an actor says and it could impact their thoughts on the movie coming out (and again, I don't care what she said about the older film, but what she says about her version doesn't get me too excited).
I wouldn't call it a "negative light", as more it was painting things based on hindsight.

Both are biopic pics about real life people that both actors disliked, in fact Bale called Cheney specifically the devil when accepting an award for the film.

So the point is that actors all the time play roles for characters or topics they are not fond of, and at times come right out and say it. Unless of course you believe that actors like portraying Nazis and other vile figures from history....

And I agree its very premature to judge things without a trailer and based on just an actors comments on something. Especially when those comments in this case are really not all that incendiary. All she has really said is the original scared her as a child and that its has outdated concepts, both of which are true from her perspective.

erasure fan1

What they say may not ultimately change the movie but whether the star is likable or not will have a big impact on the box office. I’ll see a lot of movies simply because I like the lead actor, I’ll also avoid movies because I dislike a lead actor,
And you aren't alone in that, I'm the same way. Personally I think overall the leaked image has done more damage to the film than her comments. People can look past stupid comments. But that image gives a glimpse as to how the film is going to look. So it will be super interesting to see what the main story trailer shows.
The hunger games prequel is going to be interesting to see how it does. The original 4 films did well enough. Even though the final film ended up doing the least in the series. I just don't see a lot of hype for this new one at all. So if it struggles, is it zegler or do people just not really care about a hunger games film without Katniss? I'd guess the 2nd option.

TP2000

The Hunger Games film comes out first. It will be a blockbuster. You can hate on her all you want but she is shaping up to be a major star.
She has 5 upcoming movies including the new Hunger Games next month which is expected to be a major hit.

I don't think using the Hunger Games is going to be a good way to gauge Miss Zegler's popularity with American movie goers, or to determine if her Snow White media kerfuffle has been overcome with the ticket buying public.

Hunger Games Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes is tracking well below its previous films. It has a production budget of $180 Million, and assuming they spend $75 Million on marketing, it will need roughly $500 Million globally to break even. Except it is currently tracking for only a $45 Million opening weekend, and optimistically a $140 Million domestic total.

At this current trajectory, Hunger Games Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes is going to lose at least $100 Million at the box office. This is not the film to be held up as an example of Rachel Zegler's ability to sell movie tickets. :oops:

I'm Not Very Hungry.jpg

I'm Going To Pass on Seconds.jpg

Tha Realest

I don't think using the Hunger Games is going to be a good way to gauge Miss Zegler's popularity with American movie goers, or to determine if her Snow White media kerfuffle has been overcome with the ticket buying public.

Hunger Games Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes is tracking well below its previous films. It has a production budget of $180 Million, and assuming they spend $75 Million on marketing, it will need roughly $500 Million globally to break even. Except it is currently tracking for only a $45 Million opening weekend, and optimistically a $140 Million domestic total.

At this current trajectory, Hunger Games Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes is going to lose at least $100 Million at the box office. This is not the film to be held up as an example of Rachel Zegler's ability to sell movie tickets. :oops:

View attachment 749893

View attachment 749894
It’s a film no one wants with an actress that has not been in a box office hit yet.

Well, on the bright side, it’s set to open larger than her last box office release (Shazam 2)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom