Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Soarin' Over Pgh

YEah I forgot where I saw the picture though, its mostly some burnt rock work and grass that has melted into goop.

Lovely.

The ride could be fixed up with a lightweight plastic drop ceiling that has a built in ripple texture. The lights from the real ceiling would hit it and cause it to change forms and colors as you pass underneath. It couldn't be that expensive. As for the poles ...all of them...why the hell are they black and in a swirl pattern and not clear tube (better yet, clear tube with a projector giving them a bubbling effect) and hung down from the ceiling/show scene?

There seems to be so many misstep with this ride...like they took a lot of time (haha 20 years) to come up with it but only five minutes to design each scene. Did the designers even see the movie, versus the final ride through? It's two different movies. Think about that next time you're riding. Erase your memory of the movie itself no base it solely from the ride. I get that they don't make rides to be interpretations of all movies, but this one they did...up to a point then someone crapped the bed.

dstrawn9889

which poles are you referring? the concrete and steel columns that hold the roof up? that may be a reason they are not clear...

Disneyhead'71

I love the story in Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. It's a heartwarming tale where a kind lady witch gives a lonely mermaid girl legs so can marry the Prince of her dreams. And the witch's dance at the wedding is pretty hilarious. She's drunk. Ariel is stoned. It is obviously a rockin' wedding. I don't get why people have such a hard time "getting" the story.

Soarin' Over Pgh

which poles are you referring? the concrete and steel columns that hold the roof up? that may be a reason they are not clear...

No darling. The metal poles sticking in the back and sides of the fish in the main musical scene.

inside-8.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm one of few who really enjoys DCA's facade and queue. It's simple, yet really elegant and it doesn't set you up for something you think is spectacular, but in reality, it isn't.

LMExt-052811-AVP_001.jpg

It's even better at night.

20111120_8472.jpg

Unfortunately, the ride itself is still lame to me.

I agree with you on this, I really like the DCA's Mermaid building. It looks great and fits in perfectly with it's location in the park.

Magenta Panther

My assessment of WDW's Mermaid ride was something along the lines of "crap", as I remember. I'm eager to see what DCA will do with their version, especially Ursula's death scene. How intense and graphic will it be, I wonder...

Sped2424

Original Poster
My assessment of WDW's Mermaid ride was something along the lines of "crap", as I remember. I'm eager to see what DCA will do with their version, especially Ursula's death scene. How intense and graphic will it be, I wonder...
Whats gruesome about her death...
Tlmpe1186.jpg

Oh wait lol There is no way to kiddie that down. I am eager to see how it will be done though!

Next Big Thing

I'm going to ride Mermaid at DCA this weekend one last time before this big refurb. According to the Disneyland.com calendar, Mermaid closes on March 20th and reopens in May, about a two month long refurbishment.

How on earth are they going to schedule that in for the WDW version? :confused:
The park went years without either Mermaid being a part of the park, I think it could lose it for 2 months.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I am a massive LM fan - I waited for this ride for over 20 years since hearing about it years ago, and when I rode it in pre shows back in OCT 2012 with my family I thought it was charming. My little 4 year old nephew didn't notice the beams etc or ladders in any scenes. To him it was magical. To me it was magical and a sigh of relief to see something so beautiful in the Magic Kingdom for all ages to enjoy. Agreed the lighting etc could be dimmed down etc but I think its all taken far too seriously. I think in this day and age with Disney and its new projects any new ride to me is a bonus. And i would much rather have attractions built around classic disney cartoons than have my face pushed into marvel and other newly acquired franchises like Avatar. Now I could moan about that ALL DAY! I even think that there is too much emphasis on Pixar characters this day and age...... (waits for the backlash)

:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They aren't going to close Mermaid just as the Seven Dwarves nears opening. I'm sure Orlando will get the refurb, just not at the moment.
I didn't say near opening.

What I did say is who would pay? TDO were forced to pay for the full Star Tours refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom