Little girl gets accidentally leveled by CM during parade

Goofyernmost

In a situation like this money should not be given to the family. Some type of free Disney related item or perk should be offered or a partial refund.

Companies will always try to settle out of court. It is the people who are greedy and after the millions of dollars just because they think they can get it from a large corporation. I understand why corporations have to lawyer up because people believe they deserve so much more than their situation is worth.
I agree there are a lot of people that threaten a lawsuit just because they know that Disney will offer a settlement rather then risk a court hearing. They know that already and use that information to garner whatever they can from the deepest pockets they can think of. That is the fault of the companies not believing in themselves or in what's right, to stand their ground. It's a snowball affect. It just keeps rolling and rolling getting bigger and bigger.

Timekeeper

In a situation like this money should not be given to the family. Some type of free Disney related item or perk should be offered or a partial refund.

Companies will always try to settle out of court. It is the people who are greedy and after the millions of dollars just because they think they can get it from a large corporation. I understand why corporations have to lawyer up because people believe they deserve so much more than their situation is worth.

Do we know the extent of the girl's injuries? Is there potential long term damage that might have not yet been discovered? Have any of us spoken with her, the family, or her doctors? Is it fair to blindly assume what the actual cost analysis in that situation is at this point?

As for "millions of dollars," it's obviously not about the actual dollar value or cost associated with the injury, but rather, settlements and judgments are often the only things that will serve as a deterrent for big corporations. Money talks. If a business, like a theme park, was only liable to a guest for the dollar amount of that guest's paid admission, then they can pretty much be as reckless as they want to be. If Coke was only liable to a consumer for the value of the can of Coke that they purchased, then there's no need for quality control measures, and if a little bit of rat poison got into a few batches of Coke, then no big deal. If, however, Coke's liability exposure was more than the $0.50 paid for the can, then they have some actual incentive to keep the consumer free of rat poison. So, is the poisoned consumer "wrong" for seeking damages in an amount higher than $0.50, or, higher than the medical costs associated with ingesting the poison? What would be the dollar value attributed to keeping the rest of us - consumers - free of poison?

As a consumer, I'm glad that there are mechanisms in place that serve as actual incentives for companies that prioritize profits. The next time I purchase a Coke at Disney, I don't (or shouldn't) have to worry about it containing rat poison. ...Although I heard that they have a "mouse problem" at the World.

DManRightHere

Do we know the extent of the girl's injuries? Is there potential long term damage that might have not yet been discovered? Have any of us spoken with her, the family, or her doctors? Is it fair to blindly assume what the actual cost analysis in that situation is at this point?

As for "millions of dollars," it's obviously not about the actual dollar value or cost associated with the injury, but rather, settlements and judgments are often the only things that will serve as a deterrent for big corporations. Money talks. If a business, like a theme park, was only liable to a guest for the dollar amount of that guest's paid admission, then they can pretty much be as reckless as they want to be. If Coke was only liable to a consumer for the value of the can of Coke that they purchased, then there's no need for quality control measures, and if a little bit of rat poison got into a few batches of Coke, then no big deal. If, however, Coke's liability exposure was more than the $0.50 paid for the can, then they have some actual incentive to keep the consumer free of rat poison. So, is the poisoned consumer "wrong" for seeking damages in an amount higher than $0.50, or, higher than the medical costs associated with ingesting the poison? What would be the dollar value attributed to keeping the rest of us - consumers - free of poison?

As a consumer, I'm glad that there are mechanisms in place that serve as actual incentives for companies that prioritize profits. The next time I purchase a Coke at Disney, I don't (or shouldn't) have to worry about it containing rat poison. ...Although I heard that they have a "mouse problem" at the World.

From my view I am assuming the injury is only a black eye.

thomas998

I agree there are a lot of people that threaten a lawsuit just because they know that Disney will offer a settlement rather then risk a court hearing. They know that already and use that information to garner whatever they can from the deepest pockets they can think of. That is the fault of the companies not believing in themselves or in what's right, to stand their ground. It's a snowball affect. It just keeps rolling and rolling getting bigger and bigger.

It isn't the companies that are really at fault for this, it is the media. Suppose you don't settle a lawsuit that is frivolous, do you know what will happen? You will push it to court, and the media will attack the company for being some horrible monster that couldn't even cover poor little orphan Betty's medical expenses. Now the company has a PR disaster because they did the right thing... Frankly WDW should realize that they are more of a global company than a local one and not only refuse to settle cases like this but maybe counter sue and do everything in their power to financially ruin the family that sues them and the law firm that represents them... Let the bad PR hit them in Orlando, and accept a small loss of business while setting an example that any one that sues and any lawyer that accepts a case will be bankrupted by litigation... The reality is you could easily string any lawsuit out until the other party died of old age if you wanted to.

thomas998

Wow... did you actually look at what happened? Parents of little girl FAIL to keep her under their control and ALLOW her to wander into a parade. So she gets knocked down. Frankly the parents should be taken to court by DHS for child neglect. If they wont watch their little rug rat here what next, the let her play on subway tracks?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wow... did you actually look at what happened? Parents of little girl FAIL to keep her under their control and ALLOW her to wander into a parade. So she gets knocked down. Frankly the parents should be taken to court by DHS for child neglect. If they wont watch their little rug rat here what next, the let her play on subway tracks?

Trololololo

Wander into the parade? I guess you haven't seen this parade...

RSoxNo1

I want to add my 2 cents. But maybe someone who has some more current knowledge of Movers (hourly dancers in parades and shows) vs. Equity Dancers (contracted salaried dancers in shows like Beauty & the Beat)

But that jump, pirouette is not a dance move that hourly Entertainment can do, since that is considered an equity move. High Kicks are also an equity dance move, "movers" are not allowed to kick higher than their knee (think the kicks in the Trolley show those are all "movers" )

Example Hourly Movers

Example Equity Dancers

The reason why again, I bring this up, is I do not believe that is the dancers choreography, and that the Cast Member was taking a chance doing the pirouette like that. I am sure if an entertainment manager was watching the parade, he would have given that CM a note saying "no equity jumps"

But that is hardly a "knockout" this is say "opa" and laugh and dust yourself off.
Thanks for the great info, that's very interesting.

The Empress Lilly

I want to add my 2 cents. But maybe someone who has some more current knowledge of Movers (hourly dancers in parades and shows) vs. Equity Dancers (contracted salaried dancers in shows like Beauty & the Beat)

But that jump, pirouette is not a dance move that hourly Entertainment can do, since that is considered an equity move. High Kicks are also an equity dance move, "movers" are not allowed to kick higher than their knee (think the kicks in the Trolley show those are all "movers"
Ah! So that is why so many Disney shows feature those weird 'knee high kicks'!

I always thought it was some peculiar Disney tradition. either passed on by each new choreographer studying previous shows in search of a Disney dance tradition, or because maybe it was considered a Disneyfied version of cancanesque high kicks.

WDW on-stage is the result of so many behind-the-scenes peculiarities: bureaucracy, pettiness, in-fighting, regulation, unions, labor laws. Nothing to do with any creative process.

The Empress Lilly

Thanks for the great info, that's very interesting.
I nearly missed that post. Thanks for quoting it!

I had lost interest in this thread, everything seemed to have been said and done. But lo and behold, a lovely little hidden nugget!

Also, I returned to this thread just because your name popped up on the main page! People read your posts!!

The Empress Lilly

Go get 'em, tiger!

thomas998

Again.... being in a large crowd during a street party is an at-risk activity.

More guests get hit by other guests driving ECVs on a daily basis then getting bumped by a CM during a street party.

One can only hope that before they ban the parades they will ban those blasted ECVs... My ankles will rejoice.

wdwjmp239

Yeah, that whole spin/jump move doesn't seem like a good idea in a crowded setting...

Hope she's ok. At least she'll soon be immortalized in an internet meme.

I just saw this video and quiet honestly, I think I blame for the mother for letting her be so close to the Disney cast member. Had the mother kept her daughter nearby, this wouldn't have happened. Isn't this why the CMs in the parks keep telling you to get out of the way when a parade is coming through? Isn't this the exact reason?

tnemgif

I just saw this video and quiet honestly, I think I blame for the mother for letting her be so close to the Disney cast member. Had the mother kept her daughter nearby, this wouldn't have happened. Isn't this why the CMs in the parks keep telling you to get out of the way when a parade is coming through? Isn't this the exact reason?
This was the 'dance party' part of the parade - where guests are explicitly invited to dance with the performers.

CoverD

I agree 100%, the way people sue about anything nowadays is just a complete joke and they're just trying to squeeze money out of anyone they can.

MaryJaneP

This was the 'dance party' part of the parade - where guests are explicitly invited to dance with the performers.

The operative word here seems to be "with" rather than "inside", "beneath" or "underneath". I'm all for DHS seeing if these parents should be disciplined for losing control of the child, failing to instruct her to remain clear of moving performers, such that this and any other children they may be "raising" are at risk.

Goofyernmost

If it was part of his choreography and he wasn't Showboatin' he should be alright. If he was wondering from the script, then he could be in some trouble, and since some got hurt from it, it would probably be deserved. I have never seen that particular venue so I have no idea what it was usually like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom