Little bit confused

janni518

Original Poster
The doctor I work for just got back from WDW and they made no ADRs. She said that they merely called 407-WDW-DINE and had no problem getting in anywhere. They are a family of four, are food snobs and went to all the finer restaurants like Artist Point at WL. Is it that slow in November or is all the ADR hype a bunch of hooey? :shrug:

kurros

Signature restaurants (save for Brown Derby at dinner and Narcoossee's/California Grill at fireworks times) like Artist Point are easier to get into.

Signature restaurants (save for Brown Derby at dinner and Narcoossee's/California Grill at fireworks times) like Artist Point are easier to get into.

Cause there not covered on the DDP! I still find that hard to believe that they got all the places they wanted no problem!

janni518

Original Poster
Cause there not covered on the DDP! I still find that hard to believe that they got all the places they wanted no problem!

I know, I was flabbergasted.

It's good to know that it's possible to do that. I just hated the idea of booking ahead of time. How do I know what I want o eat 180 days in advance?

I'm sure I'm being lazy here but...Is there a reverse list somewhere of places not on the DDP. We're not really big eaters and the dining plan doesn't make sense for us. I'd be willing to pay a bit more to be able to choose as I go.

sbkline

Unless it has changed for 2008, they ARE on the dining plan. It just takes two credits instead of one to eat at those places.

But if Artist Point is not on the dining plan, someone let me know, because that is one of our ADR's for next year. Like I said, though...as of 2007 it was covered under DDP.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Unless it has changed for 2008, they ARE on the dining plan. It just takes two credits instead of one to eat at those places.

But if Artist Point is not on the dining plan, someone let me know, because that is one of our ADR's for next year. Like I said, though...as of 2007 it was covered under DDP.

You are correct.

As for not having ADR's, during certain times of the year you have more flexibility. Some "undiscovered" or "premium" locations like Artist Point, Brown Derby, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Flying Fish do seem to be available on short term.

Also, there is the luck factor. If you are in the right place at the right time and there is one of the conscientious guests who actually cancel ADR's they are not going to use, you can slip in. That is not too uncommon for same day phone calls or early morning check at Guest Services...I seriously doubt walk-ups however.

While I don't worry about doing ADR's for every meal, if we specifically want a certain restaurant...I do make that as early as possible.

ImaYoyo

There are ways to eat where you want w/o making ADRs, provided you're flexible. DW and I never make reservations much more than 2 to 3 hours in advance. We call same day, and usually get where we want to go (excluding holidays of course). The things to keep in mind that may work in your favor are as follows:

1.) Small groups are easier to seat.
2.) The more flexible your times are, the more likely you can eat where you want. For example, try getting a reservation at Le Cellier during the illuminations fireworks. Since most people want to see illuminations, it's an easier time to get a reservation.
3.) Check back often, things open up every minute of every day.
4.) Have a back-up location.
5.) Eat early or late, never at the "normal" times.
6.) NEVER PLAN to walk up. Always call 407-WDW-Dine, even if you're looking for 10 minutes from now. Even if you're standing at the podium. Many times podiums will quote no availability without a reservation, or an "X" hour wait, when you can call the DRC and get a reseravation. This happened to us last night at the Plaza Restaurant. We called the DRC at 6:20PM and made a reservation for 6:35. When we got there, they were turning away guests that were walk ups.

MissM

6.) NEVER attempt to walk up. Always call 407-WDW-Dine, even if you're looking for 10 minutes from now. Even if you're standing at the podium. Many times podiums will quote no availability without a reservation, or an "X" hour wait, when you can call the DRC and get a reservation
Well...not to be contradictory, but I've walked up at Le Cellier, asked if there were any cancellations, was told no but that they could seat me right now. It was around noon on a Saturday. Hadn't even considered eating there until we were walking past Canada and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. It was just two of us so perhaps it was an easier fit.

*shrugs*
-m

ImaYoyo

Well...not to be contradictory, but I've walked up at Le Cellier, asked if there were any cancellations, was told no but that they could seat me right now. It was around noon on a Saturday. Hadn't even considered eating there until we were walking past Canada and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. It was just two of us so perhaps it was an easier fit.

*shrugs*
-m
Sorry, after re-reading, I should have said "Never PLAN to walk-up". It does and can happen, but the point being for some reason, seaters will show no availability when WDW-DINE will have some tables.

Artist Point is on the DDP in 08, but it is a 2 credit restaurant. A lot of people wont blow 2 credits to eat a the premium restaurants, making them much easier to get. Enjoy Artist Point, I heard its excellent!

MissM

Sorry, after re-reading, I should have said "Never PLAN to walk-up". It does and can happen, but the point being for some reason, seaters will show no availability when WDW-DINE will have some tables.
Oh yeah for sure. Don't plan on it happening. But if you get lucky, it can work out. ;)
-m

tomm4004

It would be interesting to know what percentage of reservations are actually kept.

We never make them before leaving home. We will the day of, or maybe just walk up (in a park, not hotel). What we do on a given day is dictated by weather and other factors, so we don't know a month beforehand where we'll be or what (or how much) we'll feel like eating. We've had little trouble eating where we want. There are just two of us, which probably helps.

Japan and Germany can be easy because they often need a specific number of people to fill a communal table.

janni518

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm going to forgo the ADRs this next trip. I'll let you know how that goes.

I can heartily recommend Artists Point. We hosted a mini wedding reception for my son when he eloped with my dil and the restaurant couldn't have been more accommodating. The food was absolutely wonderful as well.

Jimmy Thick

What I do is make multiple ADR's for the restaurant I might attend for that day, so depending on when my family gets hungry, we always have ample time to decide when or where to eat.

I also find it funny when I have my concierge take care of my ADR's when I book my trip and others do not. I just tell her I want this and that and to hook me up and she always does, 100 %. I'm just not picky on the dates.

The Mom

Premium Member
What I do is make multiple ADR's for the restaurant I might attend for that day, so depending on when my family gets hungry, we always have ample time to decide when or where to eat.

QUOTE]
This is why the list of restaurants that require a credit card deposit is getting longer every year. You're not the only person who does this. There were high demand restaurants that would routinely have unfilled tables as they turned away guests while waiting for people with reservations to either show up or cancel. Rather than keep people sitting/standing around on stand-by, they decided to just charge no-shows a fee.

This reduced the number of speculative reservations. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if this became standard policy at all full service restaurants some day.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I think that once your trip hits 180 days out, you can book for the entire trip, even if only your first days is actually 180 days away. It helps beet the ADR rush.

cruellafan

I also find it funny when I have my concierge take care of my ADR's when I book my trip and others do not. I just tell her I want this and that and to hook me up and she always does, 100 %. I'm just not picky on the dates.

I am sorry but that is a pretty rude thing to do. Especially considering there are people out there who can't get ADRs and actually plan to use them and others are just holding on to them in case they feel like eating there. :rolleyes:

Also I was under the impression that Disney wouldn't let you make multiply reservations for the same time frame because of people doing this very thing :shrug: Has that changed ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom