Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

Winter

How did I not know about this until now? I always thought it was really strange that they never made a Lion King ride in the Africa section

Ice Gator

Which begs the question: how in the world, after 26 years, does Animal Kingdom NOT have a Jungle Book ride?
I may get bashed for this because I’m usually against IP replacements… but Kali River Rapids rethemed to Jungle Book would be a flawless transition. Plenty of room to add animatronic figures/show scenes without having to change the theme or environment of the ride.

gorillaball

I may get bashed for this because I’m usually against IP replacements… but Kali River Rapids rethemed to Jungle Book would be a flawless transition. Plenty of room to add animatronic figures/show scenes without having to change the theme or environment of the ride.
I don’t disagree… but I’d rather money go to new capacity not re-theming existing capacity.

BrianLo

What is everyone's percentage chance this is announced or teased at D23?

I'm putting this at 60% myself.

Not to be a pessimist, but if it doesn't make D23, it is not happening.

I've been through enough of these cycles to know that the rumour mill spins up before a D23 in a major way. Precisely because you have multiple project teams actively vying for their project to hit legitimacy. I suspect the leaks are semi-purposeful, to gather some insight.

I cannot think of a single project that was heavily rumoured, missed D23 and ever came to subsequently be.

Anything that doesn't make the stage is automatically added to the Brazil, Disneyland Tomorrowland etc. type list.

I honestly would like to see Disney take a second crack at a rapids ride, maybe make one more in vein of splash mountain animatronic and scenery wise, but still with the fun experience of a river rapids?
YES! I would hope the extend the ride and add at least one more drop. Overlay it with Jungle Book. The storyline is escape from King Louie and finding the red flower/fire (?) but seeing the destruction that the fire is causing. Idk…

For the Lion King log flume here are my thoughts:

-DAK needs more rides that don’t have a height requirement. There are currently only three rides my short daughter can go on: triceratop, safari, river journey. Four if you count the train. If a lion king log flume happens, I hope it’s more along the lines of Frozen Ever After and doesn’t have a height requirement.

- there’s another major Disney movie that takes place in Africa…Tarzan. Since we already have FOTLK I think a Tarzan ride would be awesome. In the queue you could be walking through his parents’ treehouse. It could focus on the animals in the African jungle since Kilimanjaro Safaris focuses more on the Savannah. Tarzan could “lead” the guests through

The Leader of the Club

YES! I would hope the extend the ride and add at least one more drop. Overlay it with Jungle Book. The storyline is escape from King Louie and finding the red flower/fire (?) but seeing the destruction that the fire is causing. Idk…
As much as I think Kali needs some love, I personally would rather see Jungle Book in a new expansion. There’s a plot just behind Everest, as this post points out, that I think would be perfect for a trackless dark ride a la Tokyo’s BaTB.

As much as I think Kali needs some love, I personally would rather see Jungle Book in a new expansion. There’s a plot just behind Everest, as this post points out, that I think would be perfect for a trackless dark ride a la Tokyo’s BaTB.

I think that’s a great idea! Kali River Rapids still needs to be expanded though. It ends right after the ride has just started!

doctornick

It's a broken record at this point, but DAK (and all WDW parks in general) needs expansion and additional stuff much more than it needs replacement. so I agree that putting something new/additional in Asia would be far more worthwhile than modifying Kali even though I would agree that Kali could be improved upon.

The space next to Everest is a logical place for any addition and The Jungle Book is a perfect theme for the area if they wanted IP (which they would). But I would actually think more about doing a POTC style boat ride. I think it would fit the theme well. I don't think the access would really be a problem - the "choke point" is somewhat narrow, but wide enough to easily put the queue (entrance and exit) before having a load a bit further in.

Edit: I will also say that if TLK is added and a boat ride, I think a Jungle Book boat ride still works. But I am of the mind that Encanto should be a trackless ride even though some have said it might be a boat ride. I would agree that if both Encanto and TLK are both boats, then adding another such attraction would be too much (not that there is any indication that anything is being considered for Asia).

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
BBT would likely need to be announced with more than one component given previous statements. They could announce "new adventures from the world of Moana and Coco" and show some artwork without mentioning that they won't both technically be located "beyond" Big Thunder.

No one will be impressed if the "big reveal" is one ride. "Biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom Park history"?
Anything can be "Beyond Big Thunder" depending on where you're standing.

(Except the Big Thunder retrack. They'll need to sell that some other way.)

Stripes

Premium Member
I wonder how they measured that.
I feel like Disney typically measures the scale of a project by the number of acres it encompasses. Bruce Vaughn compared the scale of the BBT project to Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora, both of which were more ambitious than New Fantasyland. In fact, he made of point of saying he thought it would be bigger than New Fantasyland.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Anything can be "Beyond Big Thunder" depending on where you're standing.

(Except the Big Thunder retrack. They'll need to sell that some other way.)
Have you ever wondered what's Beyond Big Thunder Mountain?? We're about to show you... in the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom's history!
Have you ever wondered what's Beneath Big Thunder Mountain's Track?? We're about to show you... in the largest refurb in Big Thunder's history!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom