Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

James Alucobond

Again, what reason do we have to expect Disney to build Encanto and Indiana Jones attractions that fit in Animal Kingdom? They know what guests want out of an Encanto ride, and it's not information about animals, it's Mirabel and "WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO NO NO NO".
It’s not about any expectations there might be for Encanto or IJ. It’s about the fact that some of the people who complain about those properties potentially not fitting are weirdly gung-ho when it comes to fantasizing about a Lion King ride that would also not fit well conceptually.
TLK is about animals being animals for the most part. Except the time they dress in drag.
It’s … not, really? There’s a song about the circle of life and then a bunch of human problems in animal clothing plus a bit of bug eating, I guess.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sea World Orlando’s Infinity Falls, King’s Islands Whitewater Canyon (older and no drop but in the woods, wild and loaded with geysers at the end,) and (even though I haven’t been able to ride it yet) Silver Dollar City’s New Raft ride would like a word.
Or even Thunder River at SFoG that opened 3 years prior to Whitewater Canyon also by Intamin.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Baffling that the same people who insist Encanto and Indiana Jones are thematically unworkable want a Lion King book report with all the musical greatest hits.
It'll be made to be more true to the animals' natural state.

Let's all sing like the lions sing, ROAR ROAR, ROAR ROAR, ROAR ROAR...

Disneyson

The central conceit of the Circle of Life is essential to the story of DAK. The “transformational power of nature” is not about animals doing Shakespeare, it is about accepting death and the cyclical nature of life.

The Lion King is about one of the most “Animal Kingdom” ideas out there. The intrinsic beauty of nature, clear in “I Just Can’t Wait To Be King”, and the beauty of the Pride Lands, and the beauty of a family bond, which (arguably) has something to do with nature. The value of Simba’s kingdom is the intrinsic beauty nature has, and the duty he has to protect it like all of us.

The story also textually features psychological change through adventure. Simba has his father taken away from him, and is forced to rediscover his relationship to himself and later the land he is meant to steward. He sees how awful Scar has been and vows to take action. And he accepts the challenge to restore nature.

In this way, it is a spiritual successor to Dinoland. In the way that extinction is forever, death is forever. And while those around you aren’t always going to be there with you, they will be recycled and “live within you”, both literally and metaphorically.

The call to action in the Lion King is to refuse to let your past, your failures, and your losses define you. I think this is a fine lesson for Animal Kingdom, and is a strong message in the face of climate change.

I think this is exactly why The Lion King is a difficult movie to textually adapt into a ride. FoLK barely touches on the ACTUAL story of the Lion King. The ACTUAL story is dark, and will likely be seen as “political” in today’s climate. In fact, it mechanically would be a spectacular ride, but in order to make an impact it needs to tell the very difficult story that justifies it’s place in the park AND keeps it a true classic.

The difficulty of doing a Tokyo-style book report ride for Lion King with American thematic sensibilities (less warehouse-sized rooms just because, focus on pacing, etc) is that Mufassa’s death MUST be included, even if in pre-show and disambiguated.

Say that Rafiki tells the story thus far in a pre-show. Where do we even pick up the story! The place that makes the most sense is when Simba meets Timon and Puumba. But the context of Scar and Mufassa’s death must be included. We know they’re not afraid to tell this story (World of Color), but truly it almost requires two rides to tell the story, like Rise of the Resistance. I wonder if they would be so ambitious to have a double pre-show… but then again, this would be par for the course for new ride design, and this IP deserves it.

I think talking Animal Kingdom integration is very easy. You talk about the actual cycle of life for a variety of kinds of animals, including death. You might also talk about risks as to what happens when we don’t take care of our environment. And, finally, the natural “inspirations” we all carry with us.

I dunno. Execution is everything. But this is a ride that must broach death in some way, and I wonder if today’s imagineers will stand up to the challenge.

bwr827

How about some IP fusion? Bruno and Scar’s Casita Boneyard Safari.

Enter through the house while Encanto characters sing “We don’t talk about Bruno”, then through Antonio’s door to see all the animals.

Oh no! Sadly, Bruno and Scar have formed an alliance and transformed the usually verdant environment into a dark and foreboding place.

But wait! Indiana Jones arrives, astride Pumba, and together with us helps to restore the Antonio Prideland. Phew.

Everyone sings Circle of Life. Admire the beautiful animal animatronics as we exit to the gift shop.

fgmnt

The central conceit of the Circle of Life is essential to the story of DAK. The “transformational power of nature” is not about animals doing Shakespeare, it is about accepting death and the cyclical nature of life.

The Lion King is about one of the most “Animal Kingdom” ideas out there. The intrinsic beauty of nature, clear in “I Just Can’t Wait To Be King”, and the beauty of the Pride Lands, and the beauty of a family bond, which (arguably) has something to do with nature. The value of Simba’s kingdom is the intrinsic beauty nature has, and the duty he has to protect it like all of us.

The story also textually features psychological change through adventure. Simba has his father taken away from him, and is forced to rediscover his relationship to himself and later the land he is meant to steward. He sees how awful Scar has been and vows to take action. And he accepts the challenge to restore nature.

In this way, it is a spiritual successor to Dinoland. In the way that extinction is forever, death is forever. And while those around you aren’t always going to be there with you, they will be recycled and “live within you”, both literally and metaphorically.

The call to action in the Lion King is to refuse to let your past, your failures, and your losses define you. I think this is a fine lesson for Animal Kingdom, and is a strong message in the face of climate change.

I think this is exactly why The Lion King is a difficult movie to textually adapt into a ride. FoLK barely touches on the ACTUAL story of the Lion King. The ACTUAL story is dark, and will likely be seen as “political” in today’s climate. In fact, it mechanically would be a spectacular ride, but in order to make an impact it needs to tell the very difficult story that justifies it’s place in the park AND keeps it a true classic.

The difficulty of doing a Tokyo-style book report ride for Lion King with American thematic sensibilities (less warehouse-sized rooms just because, focus on pacing, etc) is that Mufassa’s death MUST be included, even if in pre-show and disambiguated.

Say that Rafiki tells the story thus far in a pre-show. Where do we even pick up the story! The place that makes the most sense is when Simba meets Timon and Puumba. But the context of Scar and Mufassa’s death must be included. We know they’re not afraid to tell this story (World of Color), but truly it almost requires two rides to tell the story, like Rise of the Resistance. I wonder if they would be so ambitious to have a double pre-show… but then again, this would be par for the course for new ride design, and this IP deserves it.

I think talking Animal Kingdom integration is very easy. You talk about the actual cycle of life for a variety of kinds of animals, including death. You might also talk about risks as to what happens when we don’t take care of our environment. And, finally, the natural “inspirations” we all carry with us.

I dunno. Execution is everything. But this is a ride that must broach death in some way, and I wonder if today’s imagineers will stand up to the challenge.
To sort of synthesize your post and who you are responding to, I think building an edutainment ride about the Circle of Life using the characters and music of The Lion King as the tools to tell an original story would be a home run of an attraction, but the book report ride someone would expect out of WDI (and have merit in thinking so!) would be a wet fart.

Disneyson

To sort of synthesize your post and who you are responding to, I think building an edutainment ride about the Circle of Life using the characters and music of The Lion King as the tools to tell an original story would be a home run of an attraction, but the book report ride someone would expect out of WDI (and have merit in thinking so!) would be a wet fart.
I agree. They can’t really do a book report without heavily-implied murder.

I also think leaving Young Simba off the ride is plush money out the window.

And if this is a clone, I can’t imagine Disney Adventure World will have a ride based on Conservation.

lazyboy97o

There’s already two attractions that showcase the animals of Africa and they’re not robots. It makes no sense for a Lion King ride to try and compete with that concept. Imitation of the other bigger ride isn’t what people are going to expect going into a Lion King ride.

There’s also a well liked attraction that celebrates the characters and the movies.

The idea that a movie “deserves” to be in the parks is just silly. It’s the root of the hated franchise mandate and often involves shoving square pegs into round holes.

Bocabear

Well hey, let's be fair now. Encanto and Indiana Jones are about people, not animals. True, animals play a big role in both, but not like Lion King.
Did Animals play a big part in Indiana Jones? or Encanto? yes there were animals in the film but hardly played a big part in the movie....and aside from background, animals really played no part in Indiana Jones. I am not against an Indiana Jones attraction at DHS, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that either of those films were about animals....lol

Phicinfan

Did Animals play a big part in Indiana Jones? or Encanto? yes there were animals in the film but hardly played a big part in the movie....and aside from background, animals really played no part in Indiana Jones. I am not against an Indiana Jones attraction at DHS, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that either of those films were about animals....lol
Again folks, it does not have to be only about Animals at AK. That is NOT the only theme for AK.

Having a conservation theme, or living in tune with Nature, which you could easily spin Encanto to..... And Indy saving something in a jungle atmosphere stretches but makes it.

If the ONLY reason to add to AK is animals, then why is everyone screaming about Zootopia(animals acting like people), LK - which is ONLY about animals in their environment), or even Moana - which seems now headed to MK?

With the brother from Encanto that has key interactions with animals you can easily spin a ride about that area...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom