Lin-Manuel Miranda Pitches Encanto Attraction to Chapek?

aladdin2007

I wish people would stop saying they should put an Encanto ride/land in Animal Kingdom. Yeah, there's a minor character in the movie who can talk to animals, but that doesn't mean the movie fits in Animal Kingdom. It'd be like them adding a Black Cauldron ride to Animal Kingdom because, hey, there's a pig in it.

As good as that special was, I wouldn't want Muppets invading the Haunted Mansion. Or the Hall of Presidents, for that matter.
me either, it just wouldn't surprise me with todays Disney. nothing is safe now.

DocAlan02

People really like Smooth by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas with different lyrics I guess.

I know that it is a matter of taste but I am going to give a harsh opinion on it:

It is not that We Don't Talk about Bruno is bad, but it is not great. It is just one of the only of maybe two memorable songs in the entire movie. The only one you can really sing still in your head by the time the first time viewing the movie is over.
Depends. While I didn't initially find the songs to be something I needed to run right back to, my 10 year old son and every one of his friends, both boys and girls, know every word to every song and are still singing them constantly.

celluloid

Depends. While I didn't initially find the songs to be something I needed to run right back to, my 10 year old son and every one of his friends, both boys and girls, know every word to every song and are still singing them constantly.

Notice I said first viewing.

celluloid

I disagree, Pocahontas totally could work if there was an area meant to look like old growth forests of North America and the animals were wolves, hawks, deer, bear etc

Definitely. This is clear as one of the main overreaching themes including the music are focused on nature and the harmony of living with it.

Just a small scale show, but this is why it was in the Camp Minnie Mickey area in the early years.

Bocabear

Dim Manuel and Encanto both suck.

Hopefully he wrote up an elaborate plan for an attraction and Disney threw it in the trash as soon as he left. The movie is a "Meh" at best.
I thought it was charming...a little film, not a big blockbuster, but very sweet and wonderfully done.
Lin Manuel Miranda is a treasure...Serious talent
Why so negative and mean-spirited?
I did not care for ToyStory 7 or whatever number they are on now, but would not make a post with a blanket statement for it and the creatives that worked on it.
Be nice.

TikibirdLand

I thought it was charming...a little film, not a big blockbuster, but very sweet and wonderfully done.
Lin Manuel Miranda is a treasure...Serious talent
Why so negative and mean-spirited?
I did not care for ToyStory 7 or whatever number they are on now, but would not make a post with a blanket statement for it and the creatives that worked on it.
Be nice.
I also wish @itsy bitsy spider would include why they feel the way they do instead of XX sucks! First thing I think of is the grade-school response, No! You Suck! Just based on Hamilton (haven't seen it; kids LOVE it) and MPR, Lin Manuel Miranda has done a great job of modernizing Disney that doesn't fall down the SW or Marvel holes. I really like that. Will some of the ideas bomb. Probably. But, after watching 1/2 way through Boba Fett, even good directors don't knock it out of the ballpark (yes, I'm re-watching to give it another try; Marvel? Not losing any more of my life on THAT).

I really think all the stories in the Toy Story and Cars franchises have been told. Love the characters and would love to revive them in something compelling; just hasn't happened yet. Now, if you want to start a new franchise, Home Improvement would make a great reboot!

No Name

People saying Encanto doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom, well, neither does Pocahontas, but that's r@cism for you, and not s conversation anymore wants to have, it seems.
I’m not arguing either fit but there’s definitely a clear difference which is that Pocahontas lives more in nature. They can’t be too uptight with things. The Lion King hardly fits either because the characters are just symbolizing human conflict.

HonorableMention

Maybe it's recency bias, but from the start Encanto has seemed like it will have staying power in pop culture. I also don't think it has the phenomenon Frozen or Stitch had where it was everywhere after it released to the point of fatigue. Plus, the idea of an adventure with a magical family in a sentient house is prime dark ride material, as opposed to something like Frozen where a non-book report ride is harder to manufacture.

I don't think we'll ever get Mystic Manor in the states, so a trackless dark ride in Casa Madrigal might be the next best thing. Add a new original song for the ride by LMM and I see it as a winner.

Cmdr_Crimson

I wish people would stop saying they should put an Encanto ride/land in Animal Kingdom. Yeah, there's a minor character in the movie who can talk to animals, but that doesn't mean the movie fits in Animal Kingdom. It'd be like them adding a Black Cauldron ride to Animal Kingdom because, hey, there's a pig in it.

As good as that special was, I wouldn't want Muppets invading the Haunted Mansion. Or the Hall of Presidents, for that matter.
this-agree.gif

Animaniac93-98

I get your point and it's not a perfect fit, but it's certainly a better fit than something like Zootopia or Robin Hood where the animals are wearing clothes and living in houses.

If you think about the Disney canon at large, most of the movies starring animal characters are rarely about animals living in nature.

Bambi is kind of the one exception, and in that, humans are clearly the villain.

Jungle Book has a human living with animals, but the text really doesn't explore that idea in detail and the animals behave like people for the most part.

Pocahontas at least has an explicit message about how humans need to respect nature.

Despite the enormous volume of Disney titles featuring animals, Animal Kingdom is not ideally suited to be an IP park.

celluloid

I’m not arguing either fit but there’s definitely a clear difference which is that Pocahontas lives more in nature. They can’t be too uptight with things. The Lion King hardly fits either because the characters are just symbolizing human conflict.

Bullcrap. There is literally a song about the Circle of Life, and arguably the most popular of all of the songs. It is literally a defining quality of the overreaching theme of the conservation and goals of Animal Kingdom's storytelling. It is also contient specific to Africa wich helps with Animal Kingdom.

UNCgolf

If you think about the Disney canon at large, most of the movies starring animal characters are rarely about animals living in nature.

Bambi is kind of the one exception, and in that, humans are clearly the villain.

Jungle Book has a human living with animals, but the text really doesn't explore that idea in detail and the animals behave like people for the most part.

Pocahontas at least has an explicit message about how humans need to respect nature.

Despite the enormous volume of Disney titles featuring animals, Animal Kingdom is not ideally suited to be an IP park.

Yep. Lion King, Bambi, and Jungle Book are really the only three that actually focus on animal characters that are clearly animals (i.e. they still live in their natural habitats etc.), even if they act like humans in some respects. I think every other movie either showcases animals that are essentially dressed up humans, or has more natural animals that solely act as a sidekick to humans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom