News Liki Tikis refurbished

peter11435

It's just a temporary refurb.

Landscaping-034.jpg
Except that was never intended to be a refurb.

This is a refurb.

ryguy

For a company that prints money everyday in its theme parks two months for this is insane. There should have been new ones made prior and installed in a couple days. That would be "Disney Magic". Instead we have Gargamel running the place.

peter11435

For a company that prints money everyday in its theme parks two months for this is insane. There should have been new ones made prior and installed in a couple days. That would be "Disney Magic". Instead we have Gargamel running the place.
The refurb wasn’t scheduled so new ones could not have been fabricated beforehand.

Just because you “print money” doesn’t mean you should just throw it away. If the current hardware still has usefulness it would be wasteful of money and materials to replace them unnecessarily.

The Empress Lilly

In a perfect world, maybe. But stuff needs to be maintained every now and then, it's no problem.

The list of Adventureland idiocy has more pressing issues:

Removal of the Veranda for tax deductible wining and dining the rich
Thematically and aesthetically troublesome Skipper Canteen
Tortuga Tavern closed too often
Removal of the tropical seating area in the plaza
(between these four, the plebs now have poor food and rest options. Forced to snack from their movable Walmarts aka strollers that clog the land further)
Removal of the plaza for a plastic spinner
Overgrown foliage that destroys the functioning of the Treehouse as weenie. (How many guests are aware that the Teehouse tree functions just like the Tree of Life at DAK: the big central weenie that draws you into the land from the bridge?)
All fountains turned into planters
We wants the Redhead!
We wants a Caribbean steel drum band too!

ryguy

Why would buying or creating new ones be "wasting" money. It's a water feature that rots over time, new is probably best. And how many parts could be in the water feature that would take months to fix. Were not talking about fixing a major attraction. This expenditure is peanuts in the grand scheme of things and simply bad show.

I understand about being fiscally sound, and I think the bean counters have the screws pretty tight at WDW. But on stage is on stage and attractions and features need to be right. There are plenty of areas where you can save money, but not when its comes to guest experiences at the most popular theme park in the world.

Unfortunately the attitude is put boxes out and half the people won't even notice the Tiki's are gone. That's the sad part. What is insane is that we are even having this discussion.

I will say it again Disney has the means to do things right and still be financially responsible. The problem comes in leadership, you either want to do things right or you don't. The latter seems to be the norm these days.

peter11435

Why would buying or creating new ones be "wasting" money. It's a water feature that rots over time, new is probably best. And how many parts could be in the water feature that would take months to fix. Were not talking about fixing a major attraction. This expenditure is peanuts in the grand scheme of things and simply bad show.

I understand about being fiscally sound, and I think the bean counters have the screws pretty tight at WDW. But on stage is on stage and attractions and features need to be right. There are plenty of areas where you can save money, but not when its comes to guest experiences at the most popular theme park in the world.
How would creating new ones unnecessarily NOT be wasteful? It would obviously cost more than refurbishing the existing thus wasting money. It would also require steal, fiberglass and other materials to make the new ones therefore being a waste of materials as well creating more waste.

This is onstage which is why as you say they have done it in such a way that most people won’t notice.

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately the attitude is put boxes out and half the people won't even notice the Tiki's are gone. That's the sad part. What is insane is that we are even having this discussion.

I will say it again Disney has the means to do things right and still be financially responsible. The problem comes in leadership, you either want to do things right or you don't. The latter seems to be the norm these days.
I'm not all together sure that plastic rots all that fast. Or would Disney be dumb enough to build a water feature out of wood? Mechanics give out, those are hardly the stars of the show, on stage or off. And yes, rebuilding things just because you think they should is a waste of money regardless of how much they have. It is also a waste of resources used to build that feature. I have walked by that child cooler many times and I can say without a moment of hesitation that if they were missing or not, is of little consequence to the "show". They are just child entertainers and to a lesser degree, eye candy. Something broke, they are fixing it, time to move on.

ryguy

How would creating new ones unnecessarily NOT be wasteful? It would obviously cost more than refurbishing the existing thus wasting money. It would also require steal, fiberglass and other materials to make the new ones therefore being a waste of materials as well creating more waste.

This is onstage which is why as you say they have done it in such a way that most people won’t notice.

I guess I don't see where there is a wasteful problem with replacing four tiki statues. If you don't want to throw them out than put them at the Poly or on the Jungle Cruise. There is no way the outside of them are defective. And there is no way this should take this long to fix. It can only be a couple of parts. If they are in bad shape trying to refurbish them could be more expensive than just creating new ones. Who knows. In construction that is true a lot of the times.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I guess I don't see where there is a wasteful problem with replacing four tiki statues. If you don't want to throw them out than put them at the Poly or on the Jungle Cruise. There is no way the outside of them are defective. And there is no way this should take this long to fix. It can only be a couple of parts. If they are in bad shape trying to refurbish them could be more expensive than just creating new ones. Who knows. In construction that is true a lot of the times.
Remember: they only have access to 1 ladder for these projects:
1) Toy Story Land
2) Galaxy’s Edge
3) MMRR
4) Rat
5) GotG
6) Riviera
7) CSR expansion
8) Riverboat
9) Wolfgang Puck and whatever else they’re building at DS
10) numerous flyover bridges
11) keeping Primeval Whirl up to Rohde standards
12) hiding John Lasseter emails in the attack above Tangaroa Terrace
12) Leaky Tikis

Soon we add Tron.

Bender123

Remember: they only have access to 1 ladder for these projects:
1) Toy Story Land
2) Galaxy’s Edge
3) MMRR
4) Rat
5) GotG
6) Riviera
7) CSR expansion
8) Riverboat
9) Wolfgang Puck and whatever else they’re building at DS
10) numerous flyover bridges
11) keeping Primeval Whirl up to Rohde standards
12) hiding John Lasseter emails in the attack above Tangaroa Terrace
12) Leaky Tikis

Soon we add Tron.

We all know about the Orlando area ladder shortage...Ever since WWE put their performance center down there, they have monopolized every shipment for ladder match practices and matches. A bus driver told me they will never buy more ladders for WDW, what with the price on ladders going upwards of $1 million per step. He said they were even trying to build their own ladders and the ladder footings can still be seen all over the property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom