'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

TwilightZone

You know, this convo has gone from streaming, to box office, to lesbians, but not much about Lightyear itself.
I guess that shows how woefully uninteresting the actual (non lesbian scene) content of the movie is.
There's nothing interesting enough about the movie's themes, messages, scenes, characters, etc. to discuss about.
And that is the sad truth

TP2000

Did you get a teenager to help you hook it up?

You know what's funny about that? It also practically set itself up wirelessly for me; connected to WiFi, downloaded my Prime subscription, set up the right audio calibrations and backlight levels for the room, etc. all with just a few buttons on the remote and within minutes of the guys from Best Buy setting it on the media console and plugging it in for me.

And with a $20 tip and a can of Pepsi, the Best Buy guys also took away all the cardboard and styrofoam.

Six weeks later I still sit in the living room in the evenings and watch a 4K show and absolutely marvel at how pristine and perfect the picture is. To think how far we've come, even just 30 years ago no one could have imagined this level of quality!

Home electronics really have become very slick and easy to own and operate now. Even just 15 years ago it was an endless battle with owner's manuals, calls to Tech Support, wires and cables everywhere. And my God, remember the 1990's? You had to have a degree in electrical engineering to get your new TV and "home theater" to work. 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

You know, this convo has gone from streaming, to box office, to lesbians, but not much about Lightyear itself.
I guess that shows how woefully uninteresting the actual (non lesbian scene) content of the movie is.
There's nothing interesting enough about the movie's themes, messages, scenes, characters, etc. to discuss about.
And that is the sad truth

Ooooh, good point!

I'm still confused how Buzz Lightyear is a real astronaut from the future who got turned into a plastic toy that was in Andy's room back in 1995. I'm sure it's explained in the movie, but why even bother?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t think the new titles are what people care about though. The value is in the headliner movies, not the re-runs of Glee. This appears to be backed up with the data (hours watched).

That’s what “works” about Netflix... they are putting out content people actually want to watch.
Well... Moana keeps showing up on the top 10 most streamed movies according to Nielsen, so, D+ could survive on Moana alone!

Wait there is going to be a totally free option? Sorry I must have missed that.
Yes, last quarterly called. It was mentioned it was on the way by the end of the year, just like for Netflix.

Two years in and the streaming wars already is having a paradigm shift.

Tho, some of the streamers, like Hulu, already do have FAST.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It was priced very low by standards to start. Churn would be more of an issue if they go into Netflix pricing, no?
I concur.

And, giving the devil his due, Chapek isn't raising D+'s price until it regularly puts out more original content to justify the perceived value. We're getting there: a Star Wars and Marvel series on at the same time!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I concur.

And, giving the devil his due, Chapek isn't raising D+'s price until it regularly puts out more original content to justify the perceived value. We're getting there: a Star Wars and Marvel series on at the same time!
One of them is surprisingly good

The other is a flop.

Bad week when a Pixar tent pole and a marvel series flops

I’m sure Thor will sweep it under the rug - however

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, last quarterly called. It was mentioned it was on the way by the end of the year, just like for Netflix.

Two years in and the streaming wars already is having a paradigm shift.

Tho, some of the streamers, like Hulu, already do have FAST.
Funny how Wall Street geniuses now think people want to embrace overpriced commercials again…after trying to lure them to reject them for 10 years prior.

Like i always say: “you only deserve what your stupidity allows other people to sell you”

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
One of them is surprisingly good

The other is a flop.

Bad week when a Pixar tent pole and a marvel series flops

I’m sure Thor will sweep it under the rug - however
Both Obi-Wan and Ms. Marvel have fair to good ratings. As well as Lightyear.

Lightyear may have failed financially in the theatrical Box Office, but those who have seen it rate it fairly good.

Individual preferences notwithstanding and not representative of all people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Both Obi-Wan and Ms. Marvel have fair to good ratings. As well as Lightyear.

Lightyear may have failed financially in the theatrical Box Office, but those who have seen it rate it fairly good.

Individual preferences notwithstanding and not representative of all people.
Lightyear is officially a flop…I just read an article clarifying miss marvel as the same. I don’t think it was in the Onion…but I’ll try to find it.

It’s not good.

Edit…I see it now. Reviews are generally good…viewership is really low.

“She’s just not that into you…I mean her”

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Netflix is so far ahead of them both in subscribers and top watched content i highly doubt they ever win that race. The fact is, coming in as #2 is a pretty big success.
I suspect Netflix is the future Blockbuster if they don't buy a major studio/network. Or simply become an aggregator/bundler for other services under the recognizable streamer brand. I can't see how a streamer without a huge QUALITY library survives at their price point and they've lost a lot of popular stuff back to their creator/studios' competing services. I'll add in Apple+ who also needs to buy a studio/network/content generator. Three or four good shows is not a reason for people to commit long term. Especially in a potential recession. Now, if Apple bought Netflix... (I still don't think they have enough content people want for long term but it's an interesting thought and buys them content quantity without unnecessary physical assets like Disney's theme parks, etc..)

As to the future of Disney+, I think for adults at least it will be dependent on a very constant stream of new content, or else there will be a lot of churn. The other night, I went looking for something to watch. I clicked on the Movies section of Disney+ and sorted them alphabetically. After scrolling through the entire list, I realized there was nothing at all on there that I didn't either already own on dvd or had watched recently (once or multiple times). My sub is up at the end of the year. I have no interest in ad-based. There are plenty of free options with ads and quite a few currently have good enough viewing selections. With nothing else to offer, the only reason I am likely to re-up is new Marvel content. And I'll have to either a) be offered a good deal to commit for more than a month at a time or b) decide there is enough new Marvel show and movie content dropping monthly to keep it. But if I already own 98% of what's on there that I like to rewatch, why would I pay to keep the service otherwise? I had hoped for more older library titles but if they haven't shown up in three years, I don't feel the need to hang onto the service in hopes they show up soon. And really, watching them once every few years is enough or I'd already own them on dvd. I am future churn just waiting to happen.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think D+ will hemorrhage subscribers in a couple of years unless they start producing massively more new content. These 6 week series twice a year is gonna bore the fickle crowds
Twice a year?

LucasFilm D+ 2022
  • Boba Fett (Dec 29 '21)
  • Obi-Wan (May 27)
  • Andor (Aug 31)
  • Bad Batch second season (Sep 28)
  • Willow (Nov 30)
  • Tales of the Jedi (late 2022)
[Mando 3 recently announced for Feb 2023]

Marvel D+ 2022
  • Moon Knight (Mar 30)
  • Ms. Marvel (Jun 8)
  • I Am Groot (Aug 10)
  • She-Hulk (Aug 17)
  • Bad Batch (Sep 28)
  • Werewolf By Night Halloween special
  • GotG Christmas special
  • What If...? Season 2
  • And likely, one more series in the late Fall (Secret Invasion is in post-production now)

Also note that for most of the world, D+ is bundled with Star, the international version of Hulu. Eventually, all of the content of Hulu that is Disney owned will be merged with D+.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Eventually, all of the content of Hulu that is Disney owned will be merged with D+.
I currently have a 99 cents/month promo deal for Hulu for the year. If I can't get the same deal for next year, it goes, even though I have been watching a fair amount of content on there - mostly catching up on Fox and FX shows as most of their movie library content is OLD and not worth paying for and circulates amongst other free services anyway.

I'm gravitating more and more towards the free streamers these days which is not good for any of the pay services I currently have. I would never pay for the bundle as I don't want ESPN and the Hulu content is not worth the extra bundle cost for me.

Agree the Hulu content should and likely will be integrated into D+ - likely immediately after they take full buyout control of the service. Make Hulu simply a livestream premium service and move at least the majority of the library content to D+ which needs more. That said, I still can't wrap my head around Disney+ having "Pam & Tommy", "Good Luck to You, Leo Grande" or "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". But I'm old school Disney and the future is clearly not the past.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Twice a year?

LucasFilm D+ 2022
  • Boba Fett (Dec 29 '21)
  • Obi-Wan (May 27)
  • Andor (Aug 31)
  • Bad Batch second season (Sep 28)
  • Willow (Nov 30)
  • Tales of the Jedi (late 2022)
[Mando 3 recently announced for Feb 2023]

Marvel D+ 2022
  • Moon Knight (Mar 30)
  • Ms. Marvel (Jun 8)
  • I Am Groot (Aug 10)
  • She-Hulk (Aug 17)
  • Bad Batch (Sep 28)
  • Werewolf By Night Halloween special
  • GotG Christmas special
  • What If...? Season 2
  • And likely, one more series in the late Fall (Secret Invasion is in post-production now)

Also note that for most of the world, D+ is bundled with Star, the international version of Hulu. Eventually, all of the content of Hulu that is Disney owned will be merged with D+.
How many hours is that?

There are 8760 in a year…roughly 2,920 as “recreation time”

By twice a year…I meant by franchise.

So if they increase it to 4-6…does that make people pay $15 a month longterm?

Maybe…I dunno

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom