'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

TwilightZone

Lightyear may have failed financially in the theatrical Box Office, but those who have seen it rate it fairly good.
Depends on the place...IMDB has a 5.3 raiting for lightyear currently which is pretty low for pixar.
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 20-45-12 Lightyear (2022) - IMDb.png

Here's the rest for fair comparison:
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 20-47-50 Lightyear.png

the movie database

2022-06-29_20-49.png

Letterboxed
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 20-50-12 Lightyear.png

Metacritic
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 20-51-18 Lightyear.png

Rotten Tomatoes

Of these, RT has the highest ratings...which is to be expected out of rotten tomatoes (which is why I don't really trust it too much compared to IMDB or other sites).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Apple just seems to like having Apple TV+ for the prestige and they can afford to just have it. They still give away access with purchases and it is bundled with Apple One.
Agree…Apple and Amazon don’t have to care…

Not the same for Disney…who generated 40% of their revenue (more than parks) from cable advertising money not that awfully long ago

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Rotten Tomatoes

Of these, RT has the highest ratings...which is to be expected out of rotten tomatoes (which is why I don't really trust it too much compared to IMDB or other sites).
I have an oddly specific formula to decide if I should watch a movie or not. Sure I can just watch it, but where's the fun in that? So instead I take the combined average of the RottenTomatoes critics and audience ratings then subtract 20. If it's over 50% I'll watch it. Might be missing out on some "great" movies but it hasn't failed me yet. Needless to say I will prob watch Lightyear but I think I'll wait till Disney+.

ElvisMickey

This isn’t the ride thread for this discussion, but given that tampons are an actual thing that many people use, I don’t see a problem.
Sure it is. These kind of decisions are part of the reason why Lightyear bombed. It’s completely relevant. And for those who don’t know what I’m talking about…

Californian Elitist

Sure it is. These kind of decisions are part of the reason why Lightyear bombed. It’s completely relevant. And for those who don’t know what I’m talking about…

If that’s what you want to believe, then okay.

Folks, menstrual pads and tampons are actual things that girls, women, and trans men use, usually on a monthly basis! No need to be concerned, it’s a completely natural thing, I assure you. I’m a woman and can tell you all about it, if you’re interested.😀 Send me a PM.

ElvisMickey

If that’s what you want to believe, then okay.

Folks, menstrual pads and tampons are actual things that girls, women, and trans men use, usually on a monthly basis! No need to be concerned, it’s a completely natural thing, I assure you. I’m a woman and can tell you all about it, if you’re interested.😀 Send me a PM.
Understood. But parents should be able to have that decision with their kid when the time comes, not put them down in front of the television and a company who doesn’t have the balls to advertise that that’s what they’re going to be discussing, does the old bait and switch and sneaks it in. This company has been pulling crap like this for years now. This is a small reason why people are so down on this company. And for the record, I don’t even have kids. Disney has no problem putting warning content on movies that were made 80+ years ago, but the warning content really needs to be on what they producing today. I just can‘t imagine being a kid in 1984, watching the Smurfs and Smurfette goes shopping for Tampons…

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Understood. But parents should be able to have that decision with their kid when the time comes, not put them down in front of the television and a company who doesn’t have the balls to advertise that that’s what they’re going to be discussing, does the old bait and switch and sneaks it in. This company has been pulling crap like this for years now. This is a small reason why people are so down on this company. And for the record, I don’t even have kids. Disney has no problem putting warning content on movies that were made 80+ years ago, but the warning content really needs to be on what they producing today. I just can‘t imagine being a kid in 1984, watching the Smurfs and Smurfette goes shopping for Tampons…
If people don’t want to expose their children to natural things that occur in life, like menstrual cycles, then they should do the work and watch programming before allowing their children to watch it. It’s not Disney’s responsibility to make sure they create content that every single person with various views will approve of, since that’s literally impossible. Don’t want your kids learning about menstrual cycles? Fine, watch the content before your kids do. That’s on the parents, not Disney.

I grew up in the 90s and distinctly remember a Braceface episode where Sharon gets her period. We can go through decades-old media aimed at children and find arguably questionable things. At least we’re not putting Blackface in children’s media like they used to do in “the good ‘ol days,” amirite?

ElvisMickey

If people don’t want to expose their children to natural things that occur in life, like menstrual cycles, then they should do the work and watch programming before allowing their children to watch it. It’s not Disney’s responsibility to make sure they create content that every single person with various views will approve of, since that’s literally impossible. Don’t want your kids learning about menstrual cycles? Fine, watch the content before your kids do. That’s on the parents, not Disney.

I grew up in the 90s and distinctly remember a Braceface episode where Sharon gets her period. We can go through decades-old media aimed at children and find arguably questionable things. At least we’re not putting Blackface in children’s media like they used to do in “the good ‘ol days,” amirite?
I agree with you on those points as well but in the grand scheme of things, is it a good business strategy going forward…honest debate?

Californian Elitist

I agree with you on those points as well but in the grand scheme of things, is it a good business strategy going forward…honest debate?
Disney has arguably been making progressive creative choices since Walt Disney himself was alive. They know they can’t please everyone. Disney has already established themselves as a juggernaut entertainment company decades ago. They’re not going to perish. They’ve got their fans. If some conservatives don’t like the decisions being made by the company, they have every right to stop giving Disney their time and money. And then you have others who are cheering Disney on for these creative decisions and will dedicate more time and money to the company, attracting more “clientele,” if you will, for Disney. Can’t please everyone. It is what it is.

Disney and many other major companies are simply not going to be what conservatives always want them to be. Based on their content and values, they are more liberal and progressive than anything. You don’t have to accept it, but I can’t see Disney suddenly doing a 180.

mary2013

Well... Moana keeps showing up on the top 10 most streamed movies according to Nielsen, so, D+ could survive on Moana alone!

Yes, last quarterly called. It was mentioned it was on the way by the end of the year, just like for Netflix.

Two years in and the streaming wars already is having a paradigm shift.

Tho, some of the streamers, like Hulu, already do have FAST.
Did Disney say the ad-supported tier was going to be free? I thought it would just be lower priced. I have Paramount+. I pay a lower price with ads, but get all their content. Peacock, on the other hand, has a free tier with ads. But if you want to watch their original content, you have to pay for their Premium service. Is a free Disney+ really going to let me watch Mandalorian S3 with ads?

ElvisMickey

@Californian Elitist I appreciate your insight but I also have to respectfully disagree. My understanding is that Chapek is a conservative at heart and he’s been trying to steer the company back to the middle and that’s a prime reason why his contract was extended. Most of the content we’re now seeing come to fruition was green lit before he took over as CEO. As far as my personal beliefs, I’m very much in the middle and don’t agree with extremism on either side…

DKampy

So I watched AGT (America's got talent) last night, pretty good episode. Decided to watch the commercials to see what films pop up since AGT is a family show.

There was a handful of commercials for Downtown Abbey's newest movie's release on digital
A teaser commercial for the Superpets movie (looks cute)
4 or so commercials for The Legend of Hank, a movie about a samurai dog
TONS of commercials and tie ins for Minions
and just one measly commercial for "Lightyear", which was a review showcase that added in a scene at the end of the commercial of SOX shooting out a sleeping dart to an enemy. I have not seen this scene in any other TV commercials and I am guessing they added it to have something funny in the commercial to take kids away from seeing Minions or even The Legend of Hank but it is way too far late now.
They also had a trailer for Nope… that’s the only 1 I noticed since that piqued my interest(it is my most anticipated movie left this year… but I guess maybe you were only looking for family films

TrainsOfDisney

Did Disney say the ad-supported tier was going to be free? I thought it would just be lower priced.
That was my understanding as well. Honestly I’ve just been guessing the current prices become the “with ads” prices and then you have to pay extra to “skip the line...err ads”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did Disney say the ad-supported tier was going to be free? I thought it would just be lower priced. I have Paramount+. I pay a lower price with ads, but get all their content. Peacock, on the other hand, has a free tier with ads. But if you want to watch their original content, you have to pay for their Premium service. Is a free Disney+ really going to let me watch Mandalorian S3 with ads?
Oops, I assumed 'free,' but the transcript of the last call mentions "keeping price down."

Operator Your first question is from Brett Feldman with Goldman Sachs.​
Brett Feldman – Goldman Sachs Bob touched on pricing to some degree during his comments. So I thought we could come back to that. One of the questions we've been getting is, how do you think about the right cadence for revisiting pricing on Disney+ really when you can take price higher? It just seems like there's a lot of factors that would go into that, including the fact you'll be launching a new ad-supported tier. You're putting a lot more content onto the service. You've seen some increased competition. And obviously, there's some inflationary pressures, and I'm just not quite sure if you put all that to a pot, what that yields in terms of how you're thinking about pricing.​
Bob Chapek – Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company As you know, we launched with an extremely attractive opening price point on Disney+, and we've been very comfortable with the price-value relationship that we've offered. And as you know, as we increase our content investment, we believe that that's going to give us the ability to adjust our price and still, at the same time, maintain that strong value proposition. You mentioned the Disney+ ad tier – I think this is going to give us the ability to reach an even more broad audience as we expand Disney+ across multiple price points. And using some of our other services, we can see the additive nature of an ad-driven service that enables us to keep the price lower. Of course, that's made up for by the additional revenue that we would get per user on the advertising spending. So we believe that we can sort of move up and cascade up our net price over time given the tremendous value that we started with and the increased price-value relationship of all the new content. We're pretty bullish about that. Thank you​

Californian Elitist

@Californian Elitist I appreciate your insight but I also have to respectfully disagree. My understanding is that Chapek is a conservative at heart and he’s been trying to steer the company back to the middle and that’s a prime reason why his contract was extended. Most of the content we’re now seeing come to fruition was green lit before he took over as CEO. As far as my personal beliefs, I’m very much in the middle and don’t agree with extremism on either side…
I appreciate your insight, too.

To be clear, I wasn’t arguing that Chapek was a liberal. I was arguing that the company, for the most part, is more liberal than conservative and creates more content and has more offerings that’s geared more towards liberal views.

DCLcruiser

I appreciate your insight, too.

To be clear, I wasn’t arguing that Chapek was a liberal. I was arguing that the company, for the most part, is more liberal than conservative and creates more content and has more offerings that’s geared more towards liberal views.
Sounds like all creative industries. They tend to attract open-minded people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom