'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

ElvisMickey

I appreciate your insight, too.

To be clear, I wasn’t arguing that Chapek was a liberal. I was arguing that the company, for the most part, is more liberal than conservative and creates more content and has more offerings that’s geared more towards liberal views.
Thank you! This is how debates SHOULD go lol. But, yes…there are numerous people in the WDW company who are more on the liberal side these days. The question is, how do you balance progress and conservatism? I think in general people just need to be open minded and understanding that things are changing in general but each side will need to give a little for the time being. At the very least when it comes to Disney’s bottom line.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ooooh, good point!

I'm still confused how Buzz Lightyear is a real astronaut from the future who got turned into a plastic toy that was in Andy's room back in 1995. I'm sure it's explained in the movie, but why even bother?
Well back to Lightyear.....

So Lightyear, the movie, is the movie from 1995 that Andy watched that got him to want a Buzz action figure. He is not a "real" astronaut from the future, he is a movie character from a movie that Andy watched in 1995.

Buzz from Toy Story is that action figure of that movie character that his mom bought him for his birthday.

It was explained at the beginning of Lightyear, and I could be wrong but I think also some of the movie posters and trailers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You’re correct, most creative industries, if not all, lean more towards the progressive side. I feel like it’s been that way for many years now.
Nope, Disney should make content for the masses and not worry about alienating one group or another. The US and society as a whole is constantly changing, currently leaning more into being socially progressive, and as such the type of content Disney makes has to change with it to reflect that change.

As the saying goes can't please everyone, when you try you please no one. Which is why I think Lightyear will end up being seen as an good film overall with just a lackluster box office. The same can be said about a lot of Disney films over the years, including some very well regarded classics like Fantasia.

Californian Elitist

Nope, Disney should make content for the masses and not worry about alienating one group or another. The US and society as a whole is constantly changing, currently leaning more into being socially progressive, and as such the type of content Disney makes has to change with it to reflect that change.

As the saying goes can't please everyone, when you try you please no one. Which is why I think Lightyear will end up being seen as an good film overall with just a lackluster box office. The same can be said about a lot of Disney films over the years, including some very well regarded classics like Fantasia.
I can’t and won’t disagree with any of this. 100%.

TP2000

That's great, but you can't take a note that says "Lightyear was actually a good movie!" to the deposit window at the Burbank branch of Bank of America. Disney needs to go to the teller's window with cold, hard cash earned as profit from selling its products.

In the past six months Disney stock has crashed at more than double the rate of the declining Dow Jones. And in the past 12 months Disney stock has lost half of its value.

Past Six Months
Dow Jones Average: -15.9%
Disney Share Price: -39.8%

There's a recession already underway, and inflation is soaring for gasoline and groceries. That means middle-class Americans are now cutting back on discretionary income like entertainment and vacations and fripperies from the toy aisle at Target. Those are all Disney's core brands. To weather the gathering economic storm, Disney's flagship divisions like Animation need to start pumping out blockbuster entertainment that American families will happily want to spend their shrinking family budgets on. ASAP.

A company selling a product to the free market can't deposit Tweets from hipsters and positive movie reviews from the LA Times into a bank account. They have to make profit and cash. 💰💰💰

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's great, but you can't take a note that says "Lightyear was actually a good movie!" to the deposit window at the Burbank branch of Bank of America. Disney needs to go to the teller's window with cold, hard cash earned as profit from selling its products.

In the past six months Disney stock has crashed at more than double the rate of the declining Dow Jones. And in the past 12 months Disney stock has lost half of its value.

Past Six Months
Dow Jones Average: -15.9%
Disney Share Price: -39.8%

There's a recession already underway, and inflation is soaring for gasoline and groceries. That means middle-class Americans are now cutting back on discretionary income like entertainment and vacations and fripperies from the toy aisle at Target. Those are all Disney's core brands. To weather the gathering economic storm, Disney's flagship divisions like Animation need to start pumping out blockbuster entertainment that American families will happily want to spend their shrinking family budgets on. ASAP.

A company selling a product to the free market can't deposit Tweets from hipsters and positive movie reviews from the LA Times into a bank account. They have to make profit and cash. 💰💰💰

You make it seem like Disney only released this one film this year and is betting the future of the company on it, they aren't. Even if Pixar never produced a box office success ever again they still have plenty of other properties that earn more than a couple bucks, including one releasing next week. That is the benefit of no longer being a one studio company, you don't have to bet on that one release a year to make or break the company. The fact they are now diversified and have multiple studios pumping out content is why they are the global success that they are.

So will they have box office misses, yes absolutely, and Lightyear is an example of that. But will it break the company, no it won't.

TwilightZone

Well back to Lightyear.....

So Lightyear, the movie, is the movie from 1995 that Andy watched that got him to want a Buzz action figure. He is not a "real" astronaut from the future, he is a movie character from a movie that Andy watched in 1995.

Buzz from Toy Story is that action figure of that movie character that his mom bought him for his birthday.

It was explained at the beginning of Lightyear, and I could be wrong but I think also some of the movie posters and trailers.
I like it more simple...that Lightyear is just another hit toy...and then down the line he gets a movie like Transformers did in the real world.
Maybe if Pixar just said that it would have been a little less confusing.

Disney Analyst

Disney has arguably been making progressive creative choices since Walt Disney himself was alive. They know they can’t please everyone. Disney has already established themselves as a juggernaut entertainment company decades ago. They’re not going to perish. They’ve got their fans. If some conservatives don’t like the decisions being made by the company, they have every right to stop giving Disney their time and money. And then you have others who are cheering Disney on for these creative decisions and will dedicate more time and money to the company, attracting more “clientele,” if you will, for Disney. Can’t please everyone. It is what it is.

Disney and many other major companies are simply not going to be what conservatives always want them to be. Based on their content and values, they are more liberal and progressive than anything. You don’t have to accept it, but I can’t see Disney suddenly doing a 180.

You know what I find crazy… something as innocent and natural as the menstural cycle being seen as… controversial or extreme. What the heck is happening? How is America this prude? What year is it?

Why are these people so fragile they can’t handle a beautifully portrayed scene, in an animated film, about a first period? It’s literally life. How is this nothing but beneficial to children, teens, everyone.

It will help young people better understand their own bodies, it can help parents start the conversation, and quite frankly it is sad something so normal and natural is seen as progressive and bad by some.

I for one am happy my niece has something like this well put together short story to watch, and help her understand that something she will one day experience is normal and okay.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know what I find crazy… something as innocent and natural as the menstural cycle being seen as… controversial or extreme. What the heck is happening? How is America this prude? What year is it?

Why are these people so fragile they can’t handle a beautifully portrayed scene, in an animated film, about a first period? It’s literally life. How is this nothing but beneficial to children, teens, everyone.

It will help young people better understand their own bodies, it can help parents start the conversation, and quite frankly it is sad something so normal and natural is seen as progressive and bad by some.

I for one am happy my niece has something like this well put together short story to watch, and help her understand that something she will one day experience is normal and okay.
Not to mention that boys also learn what it is so as to demystify it as opposed to the old days of separating the girls from the boys in Middle School so the girls can get 'the talk' leaving boys in the dark.

A darkness that overly complicates physical relationships later when young men are surprised by normal physiological processes. (And even some young women are surprised and/or ashamed because they didn't get 'the talk' from either school nor parents.)

Californian Elitist

In high school, I was in a program that allowed juniors and seniors to work at a well-known and established hospital nearby. At the end of the year, we always had a symposium and had to present something based on the department we worked in. I worked in the neonatal department during my senior year. Long story short, it’s symposium day, and the parents of an acquaintance of mine stop by our (my friend also worked in the same department). Within seconds of our presentation, and I believe we briefly opened with something about reproduction, the parents rudely stopped us and told us that our topic was “too much” for them and walked away. And yet they had an entire son and clearly had to participate in that certain activity to create him.😑🙄 And that same son once asked me in AP history class if I had ever tried to calculate when I was conceived by my parents, because he did, apparently. I wonder if they knew that…

There are definitely a lot of prudish people here, and that’s because certain topics, even the ones that concern natural things that happen to the body, are still taboo, even though I personally believe they shouldn’t be. Kids are going to learn about menstrual cycles at some point, unless the parents are reminiscent of Stephen King’s Margaret White from Carrie. But, like I said, if parents don’t want their children learning about certain topics through media, then they need to monitor said media. Don’t get mad at Disney for including VERY NORMAL topics like buying pads and tampons for menstrual cycles in their content. Or including gay kisses and other LGBTQ+-related content. Or showing interracial couples, and all the other things people get so angry about. It’s ridiculous.

seascape

Here is a free way to get the Disney Bundle for free, yes free. If you have an American Express Platinum Card you get $20.00 a month credit for streaming services, so I get SXM and the Disney bundle for free. Netflix isn't an option so every American Express Platinum Card Holder should be a Disney Subscriber.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In high school, I was in a program that allowed juniors and seniors to work at a well-known and established hospital nearby. At the end of the year, we always had a symposium and had to present something based on the department we worked in. I worked in the neonatal department during my senior year. Long story short, it’s symposium day, and the parents of an acquaintance of mine stop by our (my friend also worked in the same department). Within seconds of our presentation, and I believe we briefly opened with something about reproduction, the parents rudely stopped us and told us that our topic was “too much” for them and walked away. And yet they had an entire son and clearly had to participate in that certain activity to create him.😑🙄 And that same son once asked me in AP history class if I had ever tried to calculate when I was conceived by my parents, because he did, apparently. I wonder if they knew that…

There are definitely a lot of prudish people here, and that’s because certain topics, even the ones that concern natural things that happen to the body, are still taboo, even though I personally believe they shouldn’t be. Kids are going to learn about menstrual cycles at some point, unless the parents are reminiscent of Stephen King’s Margaret White from Carrie. But, like I said, if parents don’t want their children learning about certain topics through media, then they need to monitor said media. Don’t get mad at Disney for including VERY NORMAL topics like buying pads and tampons for menstrual cycles in their content. Or including gay kisses and other LGBTQ+-related content. Or showing interracial couples, and all the other things people get so angry about. It’s ridiculous.
And the problem as I see it, based on your own experience, is we still have a part of the country that believes it should be left to the parents to discuss these topics at home, but then they never do due to their own lack of comfort with the topics. This is why they should be taught in schools, so at least there is a basic level of understanding. Otherwise its all swept under the rug due to it being "icky" to discuss at home.

TwilightZone

1656714608205.png

Ghost93

And the problem as I see it, based on your own experience, is we still have a part of the country that believes it should be left to the parents to discuss these topics at home, but then they never do due to their own lack of comfort with the topics. This is why they should be taught in schools, so at least there is a basic level of understanding. Otherwise its all swept under the rug due to it being "icky" to discuss at home.
Yeah, my parents never told my sister about periods until it already happened to her and she freaked out. Because my parents wanted to "shelter" her from the topic, she had a period and had to have a friend explain what was happening to her. So yeah, I think normalizing discussions of periods in children's programming is a GOOD thing. It normalizes it and makes kids feel less awkward when the time comes.

Prince-1

So who thinks Minnons The Rise of Gru will kick Lightyear's box office down the street this weekend?

It is much easier to make a guess on this when you already know 1/2 of that equation. I wonder who would have guessed that Minions would (probably) be making more money than Lightyear just a few months ago. My guess is very few especially when you don't count the people who are lying to themselves and say they knew Lightyear was going to underperform.

Phroobar

It is much easier to make a guess on this when you already know 1/2 of that equation. I wonder who would have guessed that Minions would (probably) be making more money than Lightyear just a few months ago. My guess is very few especially when you don't count the people who are lying to themselves and say they knew Lightyear was going to underperform.
Anyone that can see that outside of the Disney fog. Minons is about to make more money in three days than Lightyear did in its entire release. It just shows that pandemic streaming really hurt Pixar animation.

3D8FE774-7812-4065-8B97-ABA963FC9D7B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom