'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

tcool123

Wait, they've got Lesbian astronauts kissing now, but they have to screen the old stuff in the vault to make sure Kurt Russell doesn't wink at a pretty secretary in a miniskirt?
Kissing isn't wrong? And especially a kiss on the cheek. If kissing was so wrong then most Disney films should be censored :rolleyes:
No kiss of true love, reunion kiss, first kiss in the Disney Channel shows, etc. it either applies to everything or nothing.

Also no clue how you would know if they screened that or not as I couldn't find any article on if that film had any controversy nor is it showing on Disney+.

TP2000

Kissing isn't wrong? And especially a kiss on the cheek. If kissing was so wrong then most Disney films should be censored :rolleyes:
No kiss of true love, reunion kiss, first kiss in the Disney Channel shows, etc. it either applies to everything or nothing.

Yes, but we have to remember it's a small minority of folks. I have known married gay couples for decades before it was legal, and I only know of two couples who have children;

• An older Lesbian couple with one wife who is a reformed Mormon who was married to a man decades ago and had several children (all now grown) with him.
  • A middle-aged gay couple, very succesful doctor's both of them, who had twin boys via a surrogate mother just over a decade ago.
I know that gay/Lesbian couples who have adopted kids is a growing thing, and I do think that's wonderful, but it's still a tiny sliver of a fraction of 1% of the American theater-going audience. This isn't a moral issue, it's a business decision to do right by the shareholders.

The vast majority of Disney's core audience for Pixar films is heterosexual families with young children. Society has changed greatly since President Clinton signed the first anti-gay marriage bill 25 years ago to "protect marriage" for his straight voters. But even with all the change since then, most American parents aren't ready to send their young kids off to a Pixar movie that has an astronaut Lesbian couple in it for no apparent reason other than to appease anonymous people on Twitter and Emeryville's HR department.

I don't think it was the only reason for Lightyear's failure, but I bet it played into at least 20% of the missing box office over the past two weeks. Burbank desperately needed that missing box office.

Also no clue how you would know if they screened that or not as I couldn't find any article on if that film had any controversy nor is it showing on Disney+.

It was a joke. I literally Googled "Kurt Russell winks miniskirt" and that came up. I'm an old 1960's Disney movie nerd, but I don't remember that on at all. But I laughed, and cut and pasted. :cool:

The point remains though; I may not be adept at today's current crop of Pixar cartoons, but I am fairly familiar with the film canon from Walt Disney Productions circa 1962 to 1982, that are almost universally silly G rated fare that wouldn't make Mrs. Lillian Disney blush. The thought that some of those films now need to be screened for morality and correct thinking is hilarious, when they just tried to convince America's parents to take the kiddies to a $200 Million non-funny PG rated cartoon that had Lesbian astronauts. 🤣

Last edited:

doctornick

Netflix can't figure out how to make big profits on a $15 per month plan, so how does Disney+ pencil out for only $8 per month?

Because Disney isn't going to stay at $8/mo forever? That's a big part of the "why Disney+ is losing money" aspect right now - they want to use a low price to suck people in and become comfortable with the service before jacking it up steadily over time to increase revenues.

Rolling out a cheaper advertising tier - "hey if you want a lower price, you can buy the service with commercials" - will enable them to be more aggressive to raise the price for the commercial free version.

TP2000

Because Disney isn't going to stay at $8/mo forever? That's a big part of the "why Disney+ is losing money" aspect right now - they want to use a low price to suck people in and become comfortable with the service before jacking it up steadily over time to increase revenues.

Great, let's pretend that they double the price to $16 immediately to help cover costs.

What prevents any family from cancelling, restarting, cancelling Disney+ every month or two as big new movies get released onto the service? They'd save a huge wad of cash by not paying $64 for four movie tickets to see Lightyear in June, when they can just wait until July or August and pay $16 to restart Disney+ and let the kids watch Lightyear endlessly for an entire month? Then cancel for a few months while they await the next big movie at Christmas. 🤔

I sold my main home and am living in the family beach house for several more months before I move to a new state. I cancelled Netflix in that process. I don't miss it, quite frankly. (I still have Amazon Prime streaming, plus very fast Internet)

I don't plan to restart Netflix until the next series of The Crown shows up. Then I'll restart my subscription for at least one month, watch the new season and rewatch some favorite old episodes from the early seasons of The Crown, then promptly cancel Netflix again once I've had my fill.

That can't be the subscription model Netflix wants to have happen, but it makes me chuckle. How does Disney+ prevent the same thing once they start releasing their big movies 30 to 60 days after their theater runs?

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

On a side note, how about that legacy content that hasn’t made its way to the Plus yet? Are we just to assume movies like Johnny Tremaine and Something Wicked This Way Comes are a lost cause at this point??

The 2nd of those two was released to blu ray via Disney Movie Club.

I suspect some titles, like Dr Syn, will be Club only to attract buyers and retain members.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m wondering how many subscribers will end after the 3-year D23 membership? I’ll probably only renew if they offer a really good deal.
They retained and grew when they raised the price among those who didn't get the deal.

Also, the FAST tier should be in place by then for anyone who doesn't want to pay. The income will be from advertisers. Which, compared to other companies, Disney's very very good at and has just recently automated the process.

TP2000

I’m wondering how many subscribers will end after the 3-year D23 membership? I’ll probably only renew if they offer a really good deal.

Or just start cancelling/restarting throughout the year as content of interest waxes and wanes. Like people now do with Netflix. With a recession now underway and soaring inflation, the middle-class family entertainment budget is one of the first things to get squeezed.

As for Lightyear, here's yesterdays stats on box office. What's interesting is that for the past week Lightyear has been holding all 4,255 of its theaters across the nation. Lightyear is in more theaters than any of its competition, and yet fell down to 5th place after only one week.

That huge amount of theaters dedicated to a flopping movie only has two days left, as the Minions arrive. I wonder how many Lightyear theaters get turned over to Minions theaters, and how many theaters total Minions opens in this weekend? 4,255 theaters is a huge number, but turned out to be a bad business decision for theater operators. They'll likely be dumping Lightyear theaters by the bucketful on Friday.

Empty Theaters.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Same
They retained and grew when they raised the price among those who didn't get the deal.

Also, the FAST tier should be in place by then for anyone who doesn't want to pay. The income will be from advertisers. Which, compared to other companies, Disney's very very good at and has just recently automated the process.
So when I paid like $4 a month for it…that means I’m gonna be so grateful I’ll pay whatever now?

I guess it COULD work, huh?

doctornick

I doubt there are all that many people who signed up for that in the grand scheme of things. The subscription rate at launch was around 10 million IIRC and only a certain percentage of those would have been D23 3 year deals.

TwilightZone

So I watched AGT (America's got talent) last night, pretty good episode. Decided to watch the commercials to see what films pop up since AGT is a family show.

There was a handful of commercials for Downtown Abbey's newest movie's release on digital
A teaser commercial for the Superpets movie (looks cute)
4 or so commercials for The Legend of Hank, a movie about a samurai dog
TONS of commercials and tie ins for Minions
and just one measly commercial for "Lightyear", which was a review showcase that added in a scene at the end of the commercial of SOX shooting out a sleeping dart to an enemy. I have not seen this scene in any other TV commercials and I am guessing they added it to have something funny in the commercial to take kids away from seeing Minions or even The Legend of Hank but it is way too far late now.

TP2000

It seems to me that all of these streaming services will need to go the Cable TV route; require at least a year's contract, don't allow cancellations via the website, and make it as hard as possible to get connected to an operator if you ever want to cancel your contract. And then when you do reach an operator, they'll go through endless sales pitches and haggling to get you to stay for another 12 month contract.

I can't tell you all the hassle I had to go through a few months ago when I moved out of my OC home and tried to sever my years-long relationship with Time Warner but retain my Internet service at the beach house. Gawd, I've seen drunken couples breaking up in a bar at 1am that were easier than that was! :banghead:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I doubt there are all that many people who signed up for that in the grand scheme of things. The subscription rate at launch was around 10 million IIRC and only a certain percentage of those would have been D23 3 year deals.
I think it’s bigger issue than just those

Cell companies, cable companies and tech stores also gave out throw in subscriptions like candy…

How have they dealt with those cookies? That was also the “launch” period

TP2000

I think it’s bigger issue than just those

Cell companies, cable companies and tech stores also gave out throw in subscriptions like candy…

How have they dealt with those cookies? That was also the “launch” period

I bought a big new TV last month. The damn thing practically begs me to sign up for Disney+ every time I go to pull up YouTube or Amazon Prime. 🤣

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did they publish the churn rate anywhere? If anyone knows where the data is it’s you!
No specific numbers, but it was mentioned at least twice in the quarterly phone calls as the questioners innocently asked about (as investors, they actually wanted...) raising the cost of the subs to increase profit.

The answer from Bob and Christine is that they did raise the price once already and it had no appreciable affect on churn.

And they plan to raise the price again in the second half of this year once they're putting two new titles per week on D+. (Which was a much earlier goal, but, pandemic.) As they feel D+ become more 'worth it' with new content and ever-increasing library, they will raise the price accordingly.

And the FAST tier will be available for anyone to 'tune in' anytime they want without cost... except in time wasted watching ads.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No specific numbers, but it was mentioned at least twice in the quarterly phone calls as the questioners innocently asked about (as investors, they actually wanted...) raising the cost of the subs to increase profit.

The answer from Bob and Christine is that they did raise the price once already and it had no appreciable affect on churn.

And they plan to raise the price again in the second half of this year once they're putting two new titles per week on D+. (Which was a much earlier goal, but, pandemic.) As they feel D+ become more 'worth it' with new content and ever-increasing library, they will raise the price accordingly.

And the FAST tier will be available for anyone to 'tune in' anytime they want without cost... except in time wasted watching ads.
It was priced very low by standards to start. Churn would be more of an issue if they go into Netflix pricing, no?

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t think the new titles are what people care about though. The value is in the headliner movies, not the re-runs of Glee. This appears to be backed up with the data (hours watched).

That’s what “works” about Netflix... they are putting out content people actually want to watch.
Wait there is going to be a totally free option? Sorry I must have missed that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom