'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

LittleBuford

I often turn on D+ in the background while cleaning, cooking, etc and I’ve still only watched Lightyear once, I’ve “watched” Wakanda 3 or 4 times already and that came out after Lightyear.

Lightyear just isn’t a very fun movie, whether watching it or even just listening to it while doing other things.
I too have seen it only the once and have no desire to rewatch it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fear not, everyone. Bob has demanded new frozen, Toy Story and zootopia…

Too prove that he thinks you’re stupid and to line up more dvc contracts at the moderates 👍🏻

erasure fan1

One thing people seem to often overlook is we live in an era where existing properties are constantly maligned by new adaptions. So any new film trying to use old properties need to show us they aren't doing that. When the trailer opens up with people mocking Buzz. Why would we want to see that? Given the context of recent adapations.
That is the heart of this pop culture war that's been going on for a while now. You can look at so many examples of studios taking IPs, fundamentally changing them, then calling the fan base toxic because they didn't accept it. The sooner studios stop highjacking IPs because they know they have a built-in audience, the better it will be for them. It really isn't all that difficult. Tell a good story, respect the material, and more times than not you'll be ok.

Ghost93

I haven't seen Lightyear, so can speak as someone who didn't want to see it based of the trailers. It wasn't asking too much. It looked like it missed the brief completely of why someone like me would want to see a Lightyear film. From the trailers, the film wasn't taking the character seriously as a hero. He was constantly the butt of jokes. It looked like garbage just using the character.

One thing people seem to often overlook is we live in an era where existing properties are constantly maligned by new adaptions. So any new film trying to use old properties need to show us they aren't doing that. When the trailer opens up with people mocking Buzz. Why would we want to see that? Given the context of recent adapations.
Lightyear has a lot of flaws, none of which are related to what you described. He's a respectable character in the movie. He has flaws, but that's what character arcs are for.

celluloid

That is the heart of this pop culture war that's been going on for a while now. You can look at so many examples of studios taking IPs, fundamentally changing them, then calling the fan base toxic because they didn't accept it. The sooner studios stop highjacking IPs because they know they have a built-in audience, the better it will be for them. It really isn't all that difficult. Tell a good story, respect the material, and more times than not you'll be ok.

The Ghostbusters 2016 approach. You have to like them or else you are "insert hate group extreme here"

WorldExplorer

When you try to tie something into an established franchise, people expect things relevant to the franchise to show up.

This was not obvious to Pixar higher ups and required "soul searching" to figure out. Or, alternatively, a PR person thought this did not make them look stupid and was a good thing to tell press.

That's really something.

"We asked too much of the audience..."

I guess this is technically true, in the sense that asking audiences to disregard basic logic is a pretty tall order, but way to take a stupid idea and try to make it's failure the audience's fault.

Screamface

When you try to tie something into an established franchise, people expect things relevant to the franchise to show up.
This was not obvious to Pixar higher ups and required "soul searching" to figure out. Or, alternatively, a PR person thought this did not make them look stupid and was a good thing to tell press.

That's really something.

"We asked too much of the audience..."

I guess this is technically true, in the sense that asking audiences to disregard basic logic is a pretty tall order, but way to take a stupid idea and try to make it's failure the audience's fault.

I feel like there's some combination of Ayn Randian and woke ideology that's gone on. The IP has a strong inherent value and will do well. They're valiant Howard Roak type creating the material. They don't need to consider anything else besides their vision. Where the woke ideology unfolds in a way where they make lots of changes and want to ignore source material.

Then when the audience isn't there for it. They've been oppressed by the fans. They're the victims. They were entitled. It isn't possible that the audience didn't like it. If they didn't, they are wrong.

DKampy

I feel like there's some combination of Ayn Randian and woke ideology that's gone on. The IP has a strong inherent value and will do well. They're valiant Howard Roak type creating the material. They don't need to consider anything else besides their vision. Where the woke ideology unfolds in a way where they make lots of changes and want to ignore source material.

Then when the audience isn't there for it. They've been oppressed by the fans. They're the victims. They were entitled. It isn't possible that the audience didn't like it. If they didn't, they are wrong.
Oh it’s woke ideology because there are people that look like the real world and not everyone is a straight white male…it is ironic that some people claim having diversity is political… but the only ones I see with a political agenda are those that are protesting against diversity in film

erasure fan1

it is ironic that some people claim having diversity is political… but the only ones I see with a political agenda are those that are protesting against diversity in film
I really don't think the majority are against diversity. Look at star wars. People who complain about the sequels are constantly being railed on because they are against diversity. That they don't like ray, finn or rose because of their race or gender. But yet the majority of them think rogue one is the best Disney star wars. The most diverse cast of any star wars movie. If you make a good film, respect the source material, diversity doesn't matter. And lets be real, there are people on both sides with an adjenda.

TrainsOfDisney

I actually enjoyed lightyear, but thought the toy story connection took away from it. A connection to wall-e would have made more sense.

It’s definitely not my least favorite Pixar movie (probably turning red…).

But I’m not sure who the target audience was.

DKampy

I really don't think the majority are against diversity. Look at star wars. People who complain about the sequels are constantly being railed on because they are against diversity. That they don't like ray, finn or rose because of their race or gender. But yet the majority of them think rogue one is the best Disney star wars. The most diverse cast of any star wars movie. If you make a good film, respect the source material, diversity doesn't matter. And let’s be real, there are people on both sides with an adjenda.
The people on a certain side are constantly throwing out woke agendas being the reason for a films failures… when in most cases it is failing for other reasons… primarily being not a very good movie… my least favorite Star Wars film is Rise of Skywalker and I never thought I would dislike anyone worse than the prequel…the characters were not the problem… I quite like Finn…. I thought he was an interesting character they just did not do much with him in the end….I also liked Rey and Kylo for that matter

To bring it back to Lightyear… despite what some people claim a blink and you miss it same sex couple had nothing to do with it’s issues….I thought it was ok… But I can see why it did not do well… it is not a great movie

This has been going on since the 2016 Ghostbusters when certain people were upset about all females…but. I never got the issue…the problem was not who was cast…the problem was it was a bad movie and I was excited to see it…I usually like Paul Fieg(A Simple Favor is highly underrated). The list goes on and on

Wendy Pleakley

The people on a certain side are constantly throwing out woke agendas being the reason for a films failures… when in most cases it is failing for other reasons… primarily being not a very good movie… my least favorite Star Wars film is Rise of Skywalker and I never thought I would dislike anyone worse than the prequel…the characters were not the problem… I quite like Finn…. I thought he was an interesting character they just did not do much with him in the end….I also liked Rey and Kylo for that matter

To bring it back to Lightyear… despite what some people claim a blink and you miss it same sex couple had nothing to do with it’s issues….I thought it was ok… But I can see why it did not do well… it is not a great movie

This has been going on since the 2016 Ghostbusters when certain people were upset about all females…but. I never got the issue…the problem was not who was cast…the problem was it was a bad movie and I was excited to see it…I usually like Paul Fieg(A Simple Favor is highly underrated). The list goes on and on

I would say it's been going on forever.

In the past it was complaining about "political correctness".

Same thing, year after year, they just found a new buzzword.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom