Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

EPCOT Explorer

Aaaaaand, Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you this:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...s-offered-at-magic-kingdom-park/#comment-2433

More Nickel and Diming, less quality for the parks. Horrid.

I responded with...

Evan on November 17th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
So….If we can do this, why not Lights of Winter?
Evan on November 17th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
This is just another example of cost cutting and then nickle and diming your quality, and your product

And

EPCOTExplorer
RT @DisneyParks We're offering two New Year's Eve parties at WDW this year ---So why not do LoW? Another example of cutting your quality.

:rolleyes::lol:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I just don't get it. When WDW does not refresh stuff or make new stuff all here are up in arms. When they remove something and add something different all here are up in arms. You can't have it both ways.

I have been to DL for the holidays and I love the overlays. I can see why they will never be at WDW and I am fine with that. I do not want DL and WDW to be the same but just on different coasts. Both serve different needs and as such should be different experiences.

I am sad that Mickey's Night Before Christmas is now gone. Would I be happy it if got moved to a theater in DHS, sure!!!! I will give the new show a try and then decide. I do not love everything at WDW or DL for that matter. What I may not like others love. WDW is a different experience for each person. That is the magic of them. Each can make of it what they want. I was not a huge fan of the LoW. They were hidieous in the day time and nice at night. I will not cancel a trip over either of the above. We will attend MVMCP this year and visit Epcot too.

Many are now saying they will show WDW and go to DL for the holiday. Guess what they are the same company. We spend way more per day at DL than WDW. A WDW trip is cheaper for us.

We know. Which makes it all the more perplexing.

Everyone here loves disney, otherwise they would not be here. I will be going to DL during the Holidays from now on because they do it better then WDW. and its not a close race. For the record I am in NJ, so a trip to WDW is cheaper for me. But i'll still switch to DL.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think this post, as well as some others here, are way off the real point of holiday overlays at WDW. Of course the people who visit during the holidays would like to see them. It would be really nice for them, and especially nice for those people who live nearby and can go to the parks whenever they feel like it.

But what about those people whose regular visit falls in Sept/Oct or January? Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't setting up and taking down the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at DL take about a month? So the people whose annual visits fall during these times would NEVER be able to go on the Haunted Mansion, as it would be closed for the switchover. That would really ________ me off.

At DL such annual closures don't make a big difference, as the locals who frequent the park can easily go back at a different time. But that doesn't work at WDW which is a vacation destination.

Just terrible logic. Maybe WDW should never rehab any rides either, wouldn't want them to be closed while there are guests in the park. Shouldn't update anything either, can't have a closed attraction when people are on vacation. Give me a break.

EPCOT Explorer

It isn't just DL, although you are right. It's DLP too! And in many ways, HKDL. And most certainly TDL.

And years before Kevin came up with 'Declining By Degrees' I was decrying the Walmarting of WDW.

I wish all the Defenders of Mediocity (to use Al Lutz's term) would wake up.

It isn't about any ONE thing, even if this particular one has pi$$ed off a whole lot of folks.

It's a decade-plus pattern of cutting more, offering less and charging more (even if they discount more as well).

You can't advertise yourself as a Nordstrom quality product, while in reality offering Walmart. That's largely what TDO does now.
That is a fantastic analogy...and not only applies to just TDO and WDW, but a new more aspects...Like D23. FANTASTIC look....but where is the substance?

Oh, right, nonexistent, like LoW.:lookaroun :lol:

friendofEpcot

My .02 cents worth I posted on the Disney blog awaiting moderation.

The video to the entrance to the Magic Kingdom was amazing to see how quickly that Team Disney can do something when they want to accomplish it.
However I have to agree with most people here that EPCOT is severely lacking in Christmas Spirit right now. I went to EPCOT the other night to see what it was going to be like and I was severely disappointed and almost sad when I left the park with the minimal Christmas decorations that are out right now. I look forward to seeing the Poinsettia trees and towers and I only was able to spot two in the entire park. The front plant areas where there is usually a great display is lacking any sign of it being Christmas. The usual decorations by the pin station are completely gone and the plant area in front of the stage has some white plants with a few red ones a sad replacement for the doves and lights that are usually there.
There is a lot of comments about the Lights of Winter not being there and I can only completely agree with them. EPCOT is severely lacking in Christmas feel right now and I only hope that in the next few days there is a HUGE change in response by Disney. I can only hope that Disney realizes that this was a HUGE mistake and they will act accordingly and bring back the Christmas spirit back to EPCOT.
I can asure you that I will not be back in EPCOT this holiday season as I felt absolutely sad when I left the EPCOT park the other night. I truly tried to give it a chance to put me in the holiday spirit and it did nothing but bring me down.
Disney do the right thing and bring back the Holiday spirit back to EPCOT.

In addition to the above post I ran into a young fellow that was completely destroyed that Disney cancelled the Lights of Winter display as he was to propose to his girlfriend underneath the Lights of Winter in the first week of December. He was down on business from Mass. and he came over to see shich spot he wanted to propose. Needless to say I felt for this guy and told him he needs to talk to Guest relations as well as contact Disney in any way that they can. The poor guy was ready to do a weddings by Disney for his fiancee and now he is not going to because of this.

This guy was balling over by the Odyssey building and I asked if he was alright and he told me the whole story. I felt so bad for him. When I left he was on his way to find someone to talk to.

Mr.MouseFan

We know. Which makes it all the more perplexing.

Everyone here loves disney, otherwise they would not be here. I will be going to DL during the Holidays from now on because they do it better then WDW. and its not a close race. For the record I am in NJ, so a trip to WDW is cheaper for me. But i'll still switch to DL.

I live in NJ too and actually spent less on 4 days at Disneyland than I did on 4 days at WDW with MVMCP tickets.

EPCOT Explorer

The video to the entrance to the Magic Kingdom was amazing to see how quickly that Team Disney can do something when they want to accomplish it.
However I have to agree with most people here that EPCOT is severely lacking in Christmas Spirit right now. I went to EPCOT the other night to see what it was going to be like and I was severely disappointed and almost sad when I left the park with the minimal Christmas decorations that are out right now. I look forward to seeing the Poinsettia trees and towers and I only was able to spot two in the entire park. The front plant areas where there is usually a great display is lacking any sign of it being Christmas. The usual decorations by the pin station are completely gone and the plant area in front of the stage has some white plants with a few red ones a sad replacement for the doves and lights that are usually there.
There is a lot of comments about the Lights of Winter not being there and I can only completely agree with them. EPCOT is severely lacking in Christmas feel right now and I only hope that in the next few days there is a HUGE change in response by Disney. I can only hope that Disney realizes that this was a HUGE mistake and they will act accordingly and bring back the Christmas spirit back to EPCOT.
I can asure you that I will not be back in EPCOT this holiday season as I felt absolutely sad when I left the EPCOT park the other night. I truly tried to give it a chance to put me in the holiday spirit and it did nothing but bring me down.

In addition to the above post I ran into a young fellow that was completely destroyed that Disney cancelled the Lights of Winter display as he was to propose to his girlfriend underneath the Lights of Winter in the first week of December. He was down on business from Mass. and he came over to see shich spot he wanted to propose. Needless to say I felt for this guy and told him he needs to talk to Guest relations as well as contact Disney in any way that they can. The poor guy was ready to do a weddings by Disney for his fiancee and now he is not going to because of this.

This guy was balling over by the Odyssey building and I asked if he was alright and he told me the whole story. I felt so bad for him. When I left he was on his way to find someone to talk to.
Fantastic!!:sohappy:

cdunbar

Well if a good, you ruined my engagement story doesn't do it, I dunno what will :shrug:

RSoxNo1

I just don't get it. When WDW does not refresh stuff or make new stuff all here are up in arms. When they remove something and add something different all here are up in arms. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think that's having it both ways. It's when the remove something and either don't replace it, or replace it with something that wasn't as good as what was there before.

It's the old joke:
Q: How many Disney fans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: 10, 1 to screw in the lightbulb and 9 to complain about how great the old lightbulb was

I have been to DL for the holidays and I love the overlays. I can see why they will never be at WDW and I am fine with that. I do not want DL and WDW to be the same but just on different coasts. Both serve different needs and as such should be different experiences.

I am sad that Mickey's Night Before Christmas is now gone. Would I be happy it if got moved to a theater in DHS, sure!!!! I will give the new show a try and then decide. I do not love everything at WDW or DL for that matter. What I may not like others love. WDW is a different experience for each person. That is the magic of them. Each can make of it what they want. I was not a huge fan of the LoW. They were hidieous in the day time and nice at night. I will not cancel a trip over either of the above. We will attend MVMCP this year and visit Epcot too.

Many are now saying they will show WDW and go to DL for the holiday. Guess what they are the same company. We spend way more per day at DL than WDW. A WDW trip is cheaper for us.

I was one of the people that suggested people go to Disneyland instead of Disney World. I did so saying that at this point in time it seems that Disneyland is offering more for the money. We still get the Disney feeling and may not feel the same level of nickel and diming that has been going on in a greater capacity over at WDW.

Of course I recognize that Disney World and Disneyland are owned by the same company - however if Disney World sees a decline in attendance while Disneyland's attendance increases, sooner or later Disney will have to act on that.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Aaaaaand, Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you this:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...s-offered-at-magic-kingdom-park/#comment-2433

More Nickel and Diming, less quality for the parks. Horrid.

I responded with...

And

:rolleyes::lol:

Not nickel and diming at all. Jackson'ing and Franklin'ing really.

But I have no problem with that stuff. Offering premium experiences for premium dollars is OK with me. I usually think they aren't worth it, but make 'em available to those who feel they are, and I have no problem. Sure, I don't like the fact that you have to pay to watch FW from the Tomorrowland Terrace, but it isn't exactly the top spot to watch anyways, so it doesn't bother me.

Lights of Winter of course, is another story. That's taking away something quite significant, and with no satisfactory explanation.

But I did hear that Dole Whip is available in Xmas colors, so that's pretty cool!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Scott, I agree, but while they SPEND to add this, can't the SPEND to add something BACK to EC? They have the funds...:wave:

Well of course they have the funds. That's not a question at all. I'm sure the New Year's parties aren't looked at as a "spend", because I'm quite certain they pay for themselves (good grief, at $140 a pop for two hours of dinner with no alcohol!!!!).

It shows that the company is focused on making money, which we already knew. We all believe (correctly I think) that the way to make the most money in the long term is to keep the quality level up, thereby keeping the guests as happy as possible. TDO seems to think that the way to make the most money is to find the line down to which they can cut costs without hurting revenue more. AND they don't think they've found that line yet. They need to be convinced that 1) quality wins in the long run, not just in terms of satisfaction, but $$ as well, and 2) they have long since passed the point at which cutting costs is profitable. Anaheim seems to get it, but not TDO.

mickeysaver

I ran into a young fellow that was completely destroyed that Disney cancelled the Lights of Winter display as he was to propose to his girlfriend underneath the Lights of Winter in the first week of December. He was down on business from Mass. and he came over to see shich spot he wanted to propose. Needless to say I felt for this guy and told him he needs to talk to Guest relations as well as contact Disney in any way that they can. The poor guy was ready to do a weddings by Disney for his fiancee and now he is not going to because of this.

O M G! :mad: That poor guy. I just can't even imagine how crushed he must have been. That just stinks. I swear, I am getting madder each day about this.

TURKEY

Well of course they have the funds. That's not a question at all. I'm sure the New Year's parties aren't looked at as a "spend", because I'm quite certain they pay for themselves (good grief, at $140 a pop for two hours of dinner with no alcohol!!!!).

It shows that the company is focused on making money, which we already knew. We all believe (correctly I think) that the way to make the most money in the long term is to keep the quality level up, thereby keeping the guests as happy as possible. TDO seems to think that the way to make the most money is to find the line down to which they can cut costs without hurting revenue more. AND they don't think they've found that line yet. They need to be convinced that 1) quality wins in the long run, not just in terms of satisfaction, but $$ as well, and 2) they have long since passed the point at which cutting costs is profitable. Anaheim seems to get it, but not TDO.

Trying to get this through the censors on the blog:

Aren't the fireworks for NYE normally at midnight? I'm sorry, but how is it celebrating New Year's between 6:30 and 8:30 pm just to enjoy a regular Wishes show and a buffet dinner? $140 for that? This seems to be a bit of a mark up and rip off or am I missing something?

Is the 2nd party going to last the 2.5 hours and you only get desert?

Wow.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am just sad. I miss the happy world I was living in prior to the LoW being cancelled. I was willing to put up with all the nonsense WDW was throwing at us. I wish I had never reached my breaking point at all.

Nice job on the NYE parties. What a joke.

TURKEY

That didn't get through. Trying this.

$140 for a buffet and normal Wishes fireworks in addition to a ticket? Are there gift bags or something? Did I miss something else?

The 2nd party lasts until midnight? Just desert and fireworks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom