Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Mr.MouseFan

one thing gets pulled this year and everyone cries foul?

For me, it's not about just one thing getting pulled. It's about TDO continually diminishing the guest experience while simulataneously charging more for things that used to be included with admission. Or, as Kevin Yee puts it, Decline by Degrees. I've been to WDW more times than I care to admit and after visting Disneyland for the first time ever last month, I just don't see where WDW even comes close to offering the value per dollar that Disneyland does. It's just my opinion though.

Main Street USA

Not only do they offer everything you mentioned for "free" as in, included in admission, but I believe it is still cheaper to go to Disneyland for the day than the Magic Kingdom. So you end up paying less (if you compare 1-park 1-day DL to MK) but you are getting more.

And - they announced that the Storybook Canal and Casey Jr. Circus Train attractions are getting holiday layovers this year as well.
Just as an aside, it's an entirely different discussion, and there are more than a couple threads about this subject, but some people don't want these layovers during the holidays, and there are reasons why they don't do them in FL.

Let's not hijack this thread with this subject, just wanted to throw it out there as it's something that's not seen as 'good' by a majority of once a year, holiday tourists.

Main Street USA

A 4 day park hopper to DL is about $96 cheaper than a 4 day park hopper to WDW. If you throw in the extra cost of a MVMCP ticket to see the Christmas stuff that Disneyland would include with admission, you'd save about $155.
Yeah, but DL is two parks, and one of them is tiny. WDW is 4 parks, and all are quite large. I'm pretty sure they have justification in charging more for the park hopper in FL. Now, if we're talking about a single day park ticket to the MK, that's a different story all togehter.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For me, it's not about just one thing getting pulled. It's about TDO continually diminishing the guest experience while simulataneously charging more for things that used to be included with admission. Or, as Kevin Yee puts it, Decline by Degrees. I've been to WDW more times than I care to admit and after visting Disneyland for the first time ever last month, I just don't see where WDW even comes close to offering the value per dollar that Disneyland does. It's just my opinion though.
I would have to agree with this. In the "straw that broke the camels back" situation so many people focus on the straw and ignore all of the other crap that came before it. LoW is the straw...granted it is a pretty big straw....but LoW is that last thing in an all to long list of cuts to the Christmas line up that have been made over the last decade with no equal or better replacement. Quite honestly the only addition or plussing that I can think of have been made to WDW Christmas offerings have been the addition of the lights to the castle and the LED and dancing upgrades to Osbourne. The sad thing is that for whatever reason Christmas at WDW is less special than it was a year ago and if we follow the trend 2010 will be less special than 2009, 2011 will be less than 2010 and so on. I fear that in the no so distant future Christmas in WDW will no more special than Halloween currently is.

Mr.EPCOT

i want to start off by saying, i am sorry for all of those who are dissappointed by this news, i really am. i know its a bummer when something youve been looking forward to gets cancelled. but seriously? this has turned into post after post of complaints about how "magic is fading" and wdw is screwing people over and DL is way better and people cancelling their trips.... really?? over some lit up archways? one thing gets pulled this year and everyone cries foul? has this become the new "wand"? have i overused the question mark? yes, i have.

ladies and gentlemen i am not here to dismiss your dissappointment, but some of these posts are worded as if they feel the removal of the lights was a personal attack against themselves. i guess i just dont understand because i never really cared much for them. sure they were cool, but certainly not mind blowing.

i still feel like wdw has plenty of christmas stuff up for all you holiday folks. between all the resorts and parks, thats a whole lot of christmas. and yet if they decided to turn Spaceship Earth into a giant tree ornament (you know, like those shiny ball things) everyone would go insane with anger. im gonna be there at the end of this week and im just stoked that im going at all. if you still are upset about it, then ill buy you a couple drinks at the rose and crown and ill get a bunch of kids to run around you with those glowy things they sell at night. deal?

i love you all.

It's not just the Lights, it's just the final straw for a lot of people after a trend of cutbacks over the past few years. This is just the culmination of the angst that has been building up because of the declining quality of Walt Disney World.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's not just the Lights, it's just the final straw for a lot of people after a trend of cutbacks over the past few years. This is just the culmination of the angst that has been building up because of the declining quality of Walt Disney World.

Agreed. It's killing of LoW, ending the tree lighting ceremony, not having the Country Bears run their Christmas show, and ending the Night Before Christmas Show in favor of some absurdity involving Stitch, when the last Sttich-based show lasted all of 8 days. Plus, it's the apparent laziness onthe part of TDO to kill LoW for a want of repairs, and then trying to sell the general public on the feature as being "obsolete." It's almost as if our acceptance was both expected and thus taken for granted....

nbodyhome

I really, REALLY don't think the LOW was abandoned this year because of the Christmas theme (too much religious music, etc.). There is a gospel group there now, and that would tend to be more religious, not less.

And the D23 promotion - again, it could just be one segment of Disney not communicating properly with another.

I sent a letter to Dan Cockerell letting him know I'd be in the park a lot less than normal, since Epcot has been scaled back for Christmas. And I do wish I'd booked a Disneyland trip - it's AMAZING at Christmas, even with real reindeer!

Figment82

Just as an aside, it's an entirely different discussion, and there are more than a couple threads about this subject, but some people don't want these layovers during the holidays, and there are reasons why they don't do them in FL.

Let's not hijack this thread with this subject, just wanted to throw it out there as it's something that's not seen as 'good' by a majority of once a year, holiday tourists.

My apologies, I was merely adding to the ongoing discussion of how WDW seems to be scaling back its offerings (LoW is just one example) or raising the price of other offerings (MVMCP or Candlelight), while DL continues to add. This has been discussed often in this thread, but I'm sorry if you found my reply offensive.

Mr.MouseFan

Yeah, but DL is two parks, and one of them is tiny. WDW is 4 parks, and all are quite large. I'm pretty sure they have justification in charging more for the park hopper in FL. Now, if we're talking about a single day park ticket to the MK, that's a different story all togehter.

For me personally, most of the attractions that I want to see can be found at both resorts.

TTA1

Like already mentioned by fellow Disney fans, for me it is a final straw in a string of many. I feel LOW is a huge Christmas display to have been taken away, firstly to me the photo taken of them in storage, looks to me like the area is undisturbed and no-one been near or by it for some time, (therefore I am still convinced it's all about money) and secondly I feel the action taken to be a little sly, a case of not just what they did but how they did it.

I'll still enjoy this Christmas vacation and will have a fantastic time, but for the following Christmas vacations, I now intend to spend my ££'s at DL and DLP.

If I wanted to visit WDW when is has the least "window dressing" I'd visit in the months where international flights and on-site accommodation are much cheaper and take up the current offers, such as the free $1000 Disney gift card and free dining.

Come on WDW announce something positive and something spectacular regarding Epcot and the Christmas overlay and the LOW........

Buried20KLeague

Like already mentioned by fellow Disney fans, for me it is a final straw in a string of many. I feel LOW is a huge Christmas display to have been taken away, firstly to me the photo taken of them in storage, looks to me like the area is undisturbed and no-one been near or by it for some time, (therefore I am still convinced it's all about money) and secondly I feel the action taken to be a little sly, a case of not just what they did but how they did it.

I'll still enjoy this Christmas vacation and will have a fantastic time, but for the following Christmas vacations, I now intend to spend my ££'s at DL and DLP.

If I wanted to visit WDW when is has the least "window dressing" I'd visit in the months where international flights and on-site accommodation are much cheaper and take up the current offers, such as the free $1000 Disney gift card and free dining.

Come on WDW announce something positive and something spectacular regarding Epcot and the Christmas overlay and the LOW........

I'm completely in agreement with you.

In hindsight, I'm really kicking myself for booking this WDW trip that's coming up in a few weeks. If I could have changed it, I would... But we used free airline miles for tickets, so I'm pretty stuck.

That being said, we'll still have a good trip. Being there and watching my kids enjoy themselves and sharing some good bonding time will more than make up for the disappointments I view at WDW. My spending habits will be different this trip though, of that I'm SURE.

But you can be CERTAIN that next year, we'll be visiting DL at the holidays for the first time. Why the heck haven't we before??? I have NO idea, which is what's frustrating me. :lol: We've done DL a number of times, but never during the holidays to see the overlays. That, in combination with the World of Color show... I think SoCal will be our Winter destination for the next few years!! :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm completely in agreement with you.

In hindsight, I'm really kicking myself for booking this WDW trip that's coming up in a few weeks. If I could have changed it, I would... But we used free airline miles for tickets, so I'm pretty stuck.

That being said, we'll still have a good trip. Being there and watching my kids enjoy themselves and sharing some good bonding time will more than make up for the disappointments I view at WDW. My spending habits will be different this trip though, of that I'm SURE.

But you can be CERTAIN that next year, we'll be visiting DL at the holidays for the first time. Why the heck haven't we before??? I have NO idea, which is what's frustrating me. :lol: We've done DL a number of times, but never during the holidays to see the overlays. That, in combination with the World of Color show... I think SoCal will be our Winter destination for the next few years!! :sohappy:
Money and attendance seem to be the only thing that the higher ups at WDW seem to understand. If we want to send a message to them the only way to do it is not to go to WDW or more to the point Epcot this Christmas. Like most we already have Christmas trip planned and I am seriously considering not going to Epcot at all. At most we will go for Illuminations.

Main Street USA

My apologies, I was merely adding to the ongoing discussion of how WDW seems to be scaling back its offerings (LoW is just one example) or raising the price of other offerings (MVMCP or Candlelight), while DL continues to add. This has been discussed often in this thread, but I'm sorry if you found my reply offensive.
I wasn't personally offended, just offering up a point of view that has been expressed on this forum repeatedly. Some people are under the impression that the overlays wouldn't work well in WDW, as it is much more tourist oriented, whereas DL is primarily locals. WDW tourists could come once a year and be upset that their favorite ride has been thrown up on by an overlay. I'm sure just as many people would enjoy the overlay, but...whatever. To each his own, I guess.

Mr.MouseFan

I wasn't personally offended, just offering up a point of view that has been expressed on this forum repeatedly. Some people are under the impression that the overlays wouldn't work well in WDW, as it is much more tourist oriented, whereas DL is primarily locals. WDW tourists could come once a year and be upset that their favorite ride has been thrown up on by an overlay. I'm sure just as many people would enjoy the overlay, but...whatever. To each his own, I guess.

It can also be argued that historically, the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the slowest time of year at WDW. If ever there would be an opportunity to do an overlay of an attraction and potentially offend the least number of people, that would be the time period to do so.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have heard the arguement about the overlays a lot. I think that the more people who are buying DVC, the less water that arguement holds. So many people are becoming annual visitors, myself included. I usually go about once a year and I would love for there to be some holiday overlays. If I did not want to see the holiday overlays, I would not go during the holidays.

There is a reason the week around Christmas is the busiest time at the parks, people love the "window dressing". I just can't see why they are taking it away from us, and not replacing anything, and not adding anything.

Only 13 comments so far...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/11/disney-parks-blog-weekly-recap-4/

I have heard the arguement about the overlays a lot. I think that the more people who are buying DVC, the less water that arguement holds. So many people are becoming annual visitors, myself included. I usually go about once a year and I would love for there to be some holiday overlays. If I did not want to see the holiday overlays, I would not go during the holidays.

i go about every 1.5-2 years, so more than some and less than others. ive been during christmas once and im going next week during thanksgiving. im not going during this time because i want to see disney done up all christmasy. in fact, im usually quite against seeing anything christmasy before thanksgiving. my family is going during this time becuase it is the easiest for us all to make it since my siblings and i have off work/out of school. the christmas decorations are very nice, but its not the deciding factor for the time of year in which we visit. obviously a lot of people go during this time of year SPECIFICALLY to see the christmas decorations and i completely understand that, im just saying thats not the case with everyone.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
i go about every 1.5-2 years, so more than some and less than others. ive been during christmas once and im going next week during thanksgiving. im not going during this time because i want to see disney done up all christmasy. in fact, im usually quite against seeing anything christmasy before thanksgiving. my family is going during this time becuase it is the easiest for us all to make it since my siblings and i have off work/out of school. the christmas decorations are very nice, but its not the deciding factor for the time of year in which we visit. obviously a lot of people go during this time of year SPECIFICALLY to see the christmas decorations and i completely understand that, im just saying thats not the case with everyone.

I actually can agree with what your saying. If I was going right now christmas decor would not be important to me. If I was going after Thanksgiving, it would be very very important.

PhantomX

I still can't understand why Disneyland in California offers far more and more substantial holiday offerings INCLUDED with ticket price but Walt Disney World keeps cutting holiday offerings and whatever they do have you have to pay for a overpriced seperate ticket to be able to enjoy. It's nickel and diming and this is why I stoped going to Walt Disney World.

tirian

It can also be argued that historically, the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the slowest time of year at WDW. If ever there would be an opportunity to do an overlay of an attraction and potentially offend the least number of people, that would be the time period to do so.
The majority of Guests who visit WDW during the holiday season are there for Christmas, not anything else. The HM overlay could be done during September to coincide with Halloween and Christmas; the CBJ overlay requires just a few days (not even a whole week) and could be done in late October/early November; in my opinion, only the IASW overlay wouldn't be worth the hassle because of the lousy prep time-vs-show ratio.

FWIW, LoW was not canceled to avoid offending anyone. Epcot is adding a Gospel choir as a replacement. It is ironic, however, that the only Disney theme park squarely in the Bible belt has the fewest seasonal events worldwide! :mad: The only consistent Christmas event is an overpriced party at the MK that "features" special entertainment which, with the exception of the 360° fireworks, could easily be folded into normal operating hours.

There's no conspiracy theory. It's simply bad management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom