Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Not just what you said but they also probably have the money to upgrade them in a week. Not to mention getting new ones would most likely not hurt the budget either, especially when a rich person living in random neighborhoods is making better displays then that right now. There rich but not as rich as disney. I have a feeling we will all see them again maybe not this year but I think we are pushing them over the edge. This is all weird and there is something being held back from us, not to repeat everyones thoughts but this is just a mess and they obviously are scared to tell us the real truth. For all we know they might just pull this all off last minute but I am not getting my hopes up.

I totally agree that this doesn't make any sense. The whole situation is weird. With D23 marketing the LOW, this had to be a last minute decision. And, the question is raised, why are they being taken down? TDO could have taken away a section of the Osbourne Lights and they could have saved the same amount of money with a lot less fan furor. Why the Lights of Winter? And why now?

I just don't buy the fact that it is just shortsighted management. I think there is something that someone is not telling us.

I haven't read the entire thread, so have any EPCOT CM's spoke about what management is telling them?

puntagordabob

I hope they do pull this off at the last moment.... sometimes we all do an "OOPS"....no shame in making mistakes, so long as you learn from them... I am really hoping that the folks in Lake Buena Vista are working even as I type to remedy this... I love Disney...I have faith in most of what Disney does (with exception of how the WDW Tiki Room show is: PLEASE bring us the Disneyland show from California!).... so while I am chiming in on the opinion boards of this deletion at EPCOT Center is a BAD one, I will still give them reasonable time to fix...if 2009 has not LoW, BUT 2010 they will be back, well then I can live with that...but they need to be the same at least, or better yet ++++Plussed++++!

EPCOT Explorer

It is a fun new game, throwing a bunch of responses up on the DisneyParks blog and waiting to see if anything sticks. So far I remain unposted. I will keep trying though.
Isn't it?

I'm two for five...:ROFLOL:

Hi EPCOT Explorer.

Actually I believe Jim MacPhee whent to

Special Projects Walt Disney World. So you were close.

Boy do we need him!
We certainly do....And I wonder what has come over a one Mr. Cockrell...:(

They make a good point. If they keep outdated technology in the parks, we might have horse-drawn carriages, old-fashioned steam trains, rowing canoes, silent movie theaters and paddlewheel riverboats as part of a Disney experience. I mean, really...can you imagine? :hurl:
The whole damn place would be closed....Even Future World.:lookaroun

See what I did there?:lookaroun:lol:
I totally agree that this doesn't make any sense. The whole situation is weird. With D23 marketing the LOW, this had to be a last minute decision. And, the question is raised, why are they being taken down? TDO could have taken away a section of the Osbourne Lights and they could have saved the same amount of money with a lot less fan furor. Why the Lights of Winter? And why now?

I just don't buy the fact that it is just shortsighted management. I think there is something that someone is not telling us.

I haven't read the entire thread, so have any EPCOT CM's spoke about what management is telling them?
And that points right at our friends at TDO.:rolleyes::dazzle:

aladdin2007

Ok so if we do send a letter, it should go to that large headquarters building thats on disney property? Thats TDO right? Or should it go directly to Epcot?
I just want to be sure and do it right.

WDW Vacationer

Weeds need 2 weeks to grow,they've been there for a year,as they've done forever. That's not the issue. The issue is that they lied. They broke,Disney was lazy and said--ok,forget it. They're obselete.

I am still irked all we got was a tweet. Under 140 characters is not how to announce this.

WDW Vacationer

I was watching MSNBCs special about Coca-Cola. Some striking similarites between Coke and Disney.

Here's one:

A Coke executive said that for a while Coke rested on it's name. It did not innovate,cut corners and ignored customer demand and did not keep up with the industry trends. Coke's stock dropped. Things hot BAD

Sound Familiar? Disney is doing the same thing.

I do think they are changing. WDW is going through a midlife crisis like DL did. Remember that? It was BAD. So are things that have happened in WDW. I think WDW is going more toward modern DL. That is good.

EPCOT Explorer

I was watching MSNBCs special about Coca-Cola. Some striking similarites between Coke and Disney.

Here's one:

A Coke executive said that for a while Coke rested on it's name. It did not innovate,cut corners and ignored customer demand and did not keep up with the industry trends. Coke's stock dropped. Things hot BAD

Sound Familiar? Disney is doing the same thing.

I do think they are changing. WDW is going through a midlife crisis like DL did. Remember that? It was BAD. So are things that have happened in WDW. I think WDW is going more toward modern DL. That is good.

I'll be honest with you....we won't get a turn around like DL got a turn around if the cuttent management stays around. If we get a team like DL has, and they see the same things happening here that happened there...then we have a fighting chance.

Otherwise....? More of the same. Until then...we write, call, post, the whole shebang. That helped DL, too.

NadieMasK2

What? They aren't even putting up the lighted globes on sticks garden? I loved that! :fork:

This can only be due to budget cuts. The other "reasons" don't hold water IMO. And a gospel choir is supposed to soften the blow? Hah! Hardly.

Ooh I'm not happy. :mad:

WDW Vacationer

I'll be honest with you....we won't get a turn around like DL got a turn around if the cuttent management stays around. If we get a team like DL has, and they see the same things happening here that happened there...then we have a fighting chance.

Otherwise....? More of the same. Until then...we write, call, post, the whole shebang. That helped DL, too.

Burbank has intervened and will continu to. That's how we got new FL.

JimboJones123

Maybe expectations have just gotten too high.

As an adult, I would weigh the lights equal to meet and greets in Christmas gear to the kids.

The holidays at WDW has always been an amazing experience.

I hate it when the fantastic turns mundane.

Damn, this makes me more and more upset daily.

Here locally, the Columbus Zoo has done a 100% conversion to LEDs over the past two years. They explained it would be a two year process, and the payoff is in two weeks. If our petty zoo can overhaul millions of lights, a change out here is a simple fix.

Oh, and this social media clown I the biggest joke of a professional ever.

Wilt Dasney

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this that makes sense.

The line about "obselete technology" insults the intelligence of anybody who's set foot in a Disney park IMO.

The idea that they're looking to remove Christian references doesn't hold water for me. ("We need to get rid of all those religious Christmas hymns, and while we're at it, let's tick off all the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and atheists who otherwise wouldn't be mad at us by taking away the secular light display too.")

The faithful old standby GREED doesn't even cut it in my mind. I assume the Osborne Lights are still going up this year. If they're to the point where their concern for money literally comes down to "Turn out those lights!" then they might as well close the gates. Theme parks by their nature use resources wastefully. Could they really be saving more than a few thousand here? They could accomplish the same result — with a lot less bad PR — with one or two layoffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom