Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

KeithVH

What is really sad about their "tech" argument is that they know we realize how lame the excuse is. If Joe Average can put together an equivalent light show on their house (multiple examples on YouTube - search for Wizards in Winter) they have to realize there's enough savvy people out there who either know it's Bravio Sierra or could darn well put together the show themselves with home-brewed equipment.

Maybe the company needs to contract the work to a couple of those homeowners?

BroganMc

Desn't the electrical water Padget use tech from the 1970s mixed with upgrades from the 1980s... if so dang it's more out of date than anything... whats next kill that and then increase the price to stay at the MK resorts (fort wilderness included)?

Of course EWP is the most dated thing onsite. It's corny and 70's electronica. Spectro has a similar sight and sound.

We all know the excuse given by @DisneyParks was a lame half truth. They knew darn well the attraction needed some upgrading when they had them up last year. But instead of budgeting for it, they chose to axe it and concentrate on the Candlelight Processional (selling more dnner packages and raising the rates for it).

If nothing else, I hope they get a big PR black eye over it this year so we see some definite improvements next.

Rob562

Team Disney Orlando. They're the the upper management for Walt Disney World.

Which oddly enough isn't (for the most part) housed in the Team Disney building anymore...

I think the term originated a while ago in referring to management at Disneyland as Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) as their management is housed in the Team Disney building out behind the park... It's only been the past year or two that I've seen "TDO" be used on a semi-regular basis.

-Rob

TinkIce

So I found the video my dad took two years ago of the LoW being lit, along with the Tree Lighting Ceremony in the background, and uploaded it on Youtube. You can't see the stage in the video, and my dad pressed the button about two seconds too late to see them first light up, but you can still see the arches lit up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ykdtwRazE

TTA1

Regarding the "Tech" explanation for no installation, over here in the UK as you probably know we are 240v, therefore all outdoor decs are made really heavy duty and water tight, and we just don't have the availability of choice or tech over here like in the U.S. So using step down convertors 240v to 110v I have shipped over from the U.S both a Mr Christmas lights and sound show box and a Light O Rama box, and 1000's of US 110v xmas lights, that year after year work fine. So I am not understanding their justification of outdated tech, I know the scale is very different but is the tech not similar or the same?

DLP retired their LOW arches Christmas 2004/2005, I believe their reason was cost and maintenance, however they did replace them with the LED chandeliers, for me not has effective as the arches but at a positive replacement.

We have decided to spend our money and Christmas at DLP next Christmas and New Year and DL the year after. DLP has reintroduced the Christmas overlay of IASW, the Tree Light Ceremony and each year has a stronger Christmas overlay. I've not been to DL at Christmas since 2006/2007. The only negative is EPCOT is my favourite park.

For me the constant TV ads offering up to a $1000 gift card and free dining don't do it for me, I'd rather have the magic, and "the window dressing".

I'm already booked and fully paid for this years vacation at WDW and already booked the Yuletide tour on Boxing Day, I assume the tour guides will have been told what to say, but I think I'll ask the questions anyway about all the cuts.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
My only point was Disney improved it's margins even while the economy in general was weakening. The US economy has lost millions of jobs this year.

One of Igers goals has been to create a company that is "recession proof". And it seems as though he has done so.

As to your last point, Disney stock has done very well and Wall Street is more impressed with Iger by the day.

And in the next year even the harshest cynics will admit that.

Stay tuned.

JT lots of companies have been improving margins using the methods you appear to be advocating; generally the end result is to shaft the consumer. What is unusual is that Disney seem to be able to do this while actually getting vocal support from some of its core consumers where as other companies have to justify their decisions. Also if/ when wages rise your costs have to go up, otherwise you end up losing your best people. No one is saying Disney isnt doing OK, isnt that the point about penny-pinching, its the methods they are using to achieve this and what damage its starting to have on perceptions of quality and reputation.

As for my markets comment looking at the trend on share price yesterdays announcement seems to have no greater an impact on price than the D97 1/2 announcements. They are in a good position, something I think you will find I said months ago, and as a cash rich business I said they should be investing maximising on reduced costs and low interest rates. But given your arguments then and now you sound you feel that a big bank balance is better than ensuring a sustainable plan and delivering a quality product. You cant have it both ways just to maintain the appearance of an ubber fan. And besides didn’t you say your not visiting anyaway?
I will stay tuned as long as Disney keeps me entertained as a customer, in the meantime Ill continue to monitor and enjoy the offerings of the competition in Florida and Ill continue to visit, I like many others are just going to keep spending less while we are there

harryk

Thus the reason the Future World Fountain Stage has bas been kept (even though lots of people want it gone). :lookaroun

LOW was up way past Dec 26th.... I guess the Christmas Season ends on Dec 26 because the Singers stop that day!!. What new experience is Disney offering. Gospel is not a new experience. Keep LOW. Display your LOW pins proudly!!:xmas::xmas:

ryanduggers

the trains in front of the American Adventure will be up this year, but now will be supplied by Bachmann. They are also trying to take care of the garden railroad in Germany, since LGB basically is out of business.

I heard this first hand from two Bachmann vice presidents.

Before people get upset about Bachmann, you should know that they make very good G-scale trains for garden railways.

this might explain why it is not up yet, give them time.

tom

aladdin2007

So Epcot hardly has any decor up? Hollywood studios and MK are pretty well decked out by the looks of things,

WHATS THEIR PROBLEM AT EPCOT :brick:

jt04

JT lots of companies have been improving margins using the methods you appear to be advocating; generally the end result is to shaft the consumer. What is unusual is that Disney seem to be able to do this while actually getting vocal support from some of its core consumers where as other companies have to justify their decisions. Also if/ when wages rise your costs have to go up, otherwise you end up losing your best people. No one is saying Disney isnt doing OK, isnt that the point about penny-pinching, its the methods they are using to achieve this and what damage its starting to have on perceptions of quality and reputation.

As for my markets comment looking at the trend on share price yesterdays announcement seems to have no greater an impact on price than the D97 1/2 announcements. They are in a good position, something I think you will find I said months ago, and as a cash rich business I said they should be investing maximising on reduced costs and low interest rates. But given your arguments then and now you sound you feel that a big bank balance is better than ensuring a sustainable plan and delivering a quality product. You cant have it both ways just to maintain the appearance of an ubber fan. And besides didn’t you say your not visiting anyaway?
I will stay tuned as long as Disney keeps me entertained as a customer, in the meantime Ill continue to monitor and enjoy the offerings of the competition in Florida and Ill continue to visit, I like many others are just going to keep spending less while we are there

The majority of even the most uber-fans are pragmatic. Most realize the parks are going to follow more closely with the ebb and flow of the economy. Therefore at times the parks will cut back and at times they will add greatly. I have personally seen WDW go through these cycles several times.

That WDW has so far been able to navigate the recession without cutting front line personnel is commendable.

WDW will bounce back as the economy recovers with old favorites that have been cut back and new offerings such as the new Fantasyland. No need to panic......yet. :lookaroun

TimNRA757

I'm leaving once I get out of this class. (posting from my phone). I have a letter in my car I typed up last night to hand to GR. I will also mail letters too. I pretty much covered how I don't see as many special passholder events as they used to have. Maybe it's come up before but does anyone remember the passholder preview for the Osbourne lights? They had free snacks and even portraits done for free. I don't remember the last exclusive passholder event like this in a while.

bears163

i read a post on this thread saying that the LOW did not bring in money for EPCOT. hmmmm. lets see. people go in december to see the lights. eat in the park. spend money on souvenirs. so no lights = less people in the parks = less money spent on food = less money spent at the stores. so how can you say the LOW does not make money for Disney. Plus people pay extra at this time of the year because of the extra money it costs to put this type of display. So where does Disney go from here? What will be cut next so they dont have to spend money on something that doesnt make them money? The parades dont make money maybe they are next. It is going to come to a point where Disney is going cut so many things that people will say why am i paying more money to get into the park & have less to see & do. Where will it end?

Oddysey

My post on the blog did not make it through moderation. I am not sure why as it was very civil and I have read other post that were much much worse. All I did was point out that I was a passholder who really enjoyed LOW and was disappointed in the number of christmas shows that have been taken away without suitable replacements. I also followed that it was getting harder to justify my annual pass renewal with rising prices in the parks, and options being taken away.

The last comment is probably what got it scratched, but I was just being as honest as I could with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom