Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

WDW1974

I agree that there was nothing new for Epcot but I think that most on the forum look at the 4 disney parks in Florida collectively as one experience.

Four stale parks: one world!

BTW, this is also why I HATE, HATE, HATE the 'Disney Parks' branding. It's a homogenization. A Walmarting deal that is beyond lame.

People visit DL ... or MK ... or EPCOT ... or DLP etc. They don't visit Disney Parks no matter what Iger/Rasulo/Staggs vision for the P&R unit is.

I wanted to BLECH (yeah, that word sums it up) when Kelly Ripa (funny story ... I 'stalked' her once at MK about a dozen years ago when no one but All My Children fans had a clue who she was and she was alone in Mckey's Mart doing some shopping for, I believe a niece as she and Mark didn't have kids yet, before I finally walked up and said hi. Very sweet anyway ....) used Disney Parks as a singular unit. Like when talking about the upcoming Give a Day, Get a Day promo and she said 'Disney Parks Is ...' not 'are' ... it just sounded as wrong as the whole idea.

People don't tune in to watch the Disney Parks Christmas day Parade. They tune into watch Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade.

Huge mistake on Disney's part. Huge. The parks are all unique and you can't simply brand them.

Looking over what's new during Christmas at the parks the last few years, replacing LOW with nothing was definitely a downgrade but the lights on the castle is definitely an upgrade and the Osborne lights are definitely an upgrade from when they were on the residential streets. Collectively it's a win.

Sorry, but since I find the basis for your argument to be faulty, it's hard to go back and forth over the above points.

EPCOT is EPCOT. What's happening at MK doesn't change the value or quality of a day at EPCOT. Putting to the side the fact that all guests do NOT visit every park, doing something at one park shouldn't nullify the experience elsewhere.

If that's truly the way most fans here look at WDW, then I'd say WDW is already way too big and the result is a much lesser product across the board.

But to use your examples above, I'd just point out that Castle Dream Lights didn't debut this year. This is what? Third year? And while I love them and the Ozzfest of Groovy Lights, they've been happening since the mid-90s. Whether they're better in their 'new' locale is debatable.

I'll get on board that I hope that Disney adds some additional flair to Epcot in the coming years. I'll suggest scrapping reflections of earth during Christmas and come out with an entirely new holiday illuminations similar to the old one that is 100% Christmas music that is more traditional in nature (ie. Silent Night, We Three Kings, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Holy Night) that compliments the candlelight processional and are not a part of Holiday Wishes. I remember several years back watching the candlelight processional and then proceeding to watch the holiday illuminations and really getting into the Christmas spirit. Reflections of Earth doesn't do that for you, even with the Christmas finale. It should be 25 minutes of Christmas music set to lasers and fireworks, not 4 minutes.

That is something I agree with entirely.

Time for both a new Illuminations during the rest of the year and a new holiday show.

But it ain't happening. :xmas:

WDW1974

WDW is not my favorite subject. Close though. Since everyone seems concerned, I quit going a couple years ago because there was nothing really new happening. That is how I have always treated the place. I go when something new is compelling enough to draw me back.

I shudder to ask, but ... it's almost a new year and all ... so what is your favorite subject?

And when did you last visit WDW? If there's nothing new to draw you back and what's there isn't enough to get you to go, then why waste time talking about it?

And I'm trying to be serious here.

As unhappy with the direction of the place as I may be, there's still plenty that draws me. If it didn't, not only wouldn't I go, but I likely wouldn't talk about it online.

I think 74 is right that something new is on the way to replace the LoW.

Oh boy, now you're really scaring me. :eek::xmas::eek:

But I am right. I know it for a fact. I just don't know what the final form will be and whether it will get done for next season or the following. But EPCOT will not look this pathetic next Christmas season, that can be taken to the bank.

And whatever replaces LoW, I think, will be superior. If that means waiting longer to get a properly budgeted new Christmas offering, then that is fine with me. I'd hate to get a scaled back version that we are then stuck with for years (see Space Mountain). So keep complaining, and you just might get a scaled back rushed version of what might have been.

What is that saying? Oh yeah, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".

I don't think they're going to do a rush job to appease fans, if that's what's on your mind.

EPCOT will look better next season. And that's with or without the real LoW replacement! It will be done right and budgeted accordingly no matter which year it happens. :xmas::xmas::xmas:

WDW1974

All I ask is that you don't twist my words or put words in my mouth. I have no doubt you will be a great lawyer someday. :lol:

I don't know about that.

He has a heart and a soul to go along with his brain.

Those things spell doom in that field!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

PhotoDave219

Look, you've gotten me to buy into the revolution with the LOW.

My pet peeve was the death of Disney Dining. Now that everything has been nickled & dimes to death, its time to take a stand for what these parks meant.

EPCOT Explorer

My pet peeve was the death of Disney Dining. Now that everything has been nickled & dimes to death, its time to take a stand for what these parks meant.

We've already let the cry be heard for LoW...What more do we do to further this line of thought?

WDW1974

I think maybe I bitched too much about them ruining Disney Dining.

I likely saved a good $400-500 on my recent trip by eating only four full-serve meals in 10 days at WDW when in the past the number would have been about three times as many!

Was thinking about that yesterday as I had lunch with a friend at Benihana. On my trip, I had plans for a lunch at Tepan Edo that I cancelled. I somehow doubt I would have had a filet mignon lunch with salad, veggies and huge portion of chicken fried rice for $14.75 at WDW like I did at Benihana ... ... maybe in 1996.:xmas:

WDW1974

We've already let the cry be heard for LoW...What more do we do to further this line of thought?

Let Disney know when you are not happy. Very simple.

Same as when they do something right.

Complain and compliment. But make sure it gets heard. Writing letters is great. Emailing execs is as well, as Disney doesn't like this and you should always go against Da Man if you're trying to bring about change.

And posting on forums like this (which you better believe your are read ... especially when certain spirits post in them) as well as others doesn't hurt either.

I would say contacting the media too, but the media is almost dead in this country and unless Disney kills someone (see monorail) or is involved in something pervy (see molestations at water parks), they don't care all that much.:xmas:

tirian

I agree.

I appreciated the look of it and the story ... but it remains my least favorite Pixar film ever.

Although I do like 'Tough To be a Bug' and 'Flik's Fun Fair' ...:xmas:

Add me to the list. Same answers to all.

"Cars" is too long, but at least it has a decent storyline—which it should, since they basically ripped it all off of "Doc Hollywood"! :lol:

jt04

Complain and compliment. But make sure it gets heard. Writing letters is great. Emailing execs is as well, as Disney doesn't like this and you should always go against Da Man if you're trying to bring about change.

And posting on forums like this (which you better believe your are read ... especially when certain spirits post in them) as well as others doesn't hurt either.

I would say contacting the media too, but the media is almost dead in this country and unless Disney kills someone (see monorail) or is involved in something pervy (see molestations at water parks), they don't care all that much.:xmas:

Did you see the recent Jason Garcia OrSen article? I was shocked to see Eisner quoted and suprised you have not commented on it. Eisner seems very happy about the Staggs move. Since Eisner was willing to invest serious capital in the parks, especially WDW, perhaps he thinks Staggs will return to that strategy. What is your take?

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/new-disney-parks-chief-faces-big-challenges/

EPCOT Explorer

So...keep doing what I'm doing. Awesome. :lol:
I agree.

I appreciated the look of it and the story ... but it remains my least favorite Pixar film ever.

Although I do like 'Tough To be a Bug' and 'Flik's Fun Fair' ...:xmas:
It was decent, just not as good as the previous Pixar film, and what WDAS was still putting out at that time. (Wow. Remember those days?) Mulan, also released that year, was one of their best....and sadly last.

Well, until PatF came along.
Add me to the list. Same answers to all.

"Cars" is too long, but at least it has a decent storyline—which it should, since they basically ripped it all off of "Doc Hollywood"! :lol:
Cars is one above Bugs. It's good, but too long, and the characters were kind of grating.

All this from a allusion to Lawyers and my Disney take on it. :lol:

Did you see the recent Jason Garcia OrSen article? I was shocked to see Eisner quoted and suprised you have not commented on it. Eisner seems very happy about the Staggs move. Since Eisner was willing to invest serious capital in the parks, especially WDW, perhaps he thinks Staggs will return to that strategy. What is your take?

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/12/new-disney-parks-chief-faces-big-challenges/
Well, Eisner DID pick Staggs back in the day.

In that light, it might be a good thing for numbers becoming ideas. Not the way around.

jt04

Well, Eisner DID pick Staggs back in the day.

In that light, it might be a good thing for numbers becoming ideas. Not the way around.

See, this is why I think they had to keep discounts in place much longer than they would have. They MUST invest in the parks. The MK expansion is a great start. But AK needs a new land, DHS desperately needs to expand and Future World needs to be put back on the rails. And not necessarily in that order. That will fill the hotels even without discounts and grow the bottom line. IMO.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
See, this is why I think they had to keep discounts in place much longer than they would have. They MUST invest in the parks. The MK expansion is a great start. But AK needs a new land, DHS desperately needs to expand and Future World needs to be put back on the rails. And not necessarily in that order. That will fill the hotels even without discounts and grow the bottom line. IMO.

Have you had an epiphanyover the holidays, or just bashed yer head?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom