Lightning Lane Premier Pass

Vegas Disney Fan

I know I’m just one person, we have a very high income (so-called deep pockets) and we would never buy this for our family.

They need to charge this much because they broke the system. I don’t think it’s going to work out the way they hope it does.
We fall into this category also, we aren’t willing to waste (for a lack of a better term) money just because we have a bunch sitting in the bank though.

For us Disney has become an opportunity cost problem, we can afford all of it but we find it harder and harder to justify going to Disney rather than the alternatives, that are now very similarly priced. A week at WDW for $7k vs a weeklong Alaska cruise for $7k in a mini suite is a no brainer for us, and Disney loses that scenario. A week at WDW for $7k or a week in Europe for $10k is still a no brainer for us, again with Disney losing. They’ve become so expensive it’s hard to ignore the dozens of other more exciting options that are in many cases also a much easier trip to plan.

We still love the parks, they just don’t make financial sense anymore, at least not on a regular basis, the days of monthly DL trips (as APs) and the annual weekly trip to WDW (or 2) are now replaced with a trip or 2 to DL and a half week trip every year or 2 to WDW.

We can still afford it, we just can’t justify it.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I know I’m just one person, we have a very high income (so-called deep pockets) and we would never buy this for our family.

They need to charge this much because they broke the system. I don’t think it’s going to work out the way they hope it does.
Except a part of this is aimed at making the price of their less expensive options more attractive.

Many businesses do this. They offer 3 or more choices with the goal of making the middle option look like it is a comparatively good deal.

Customers pat themselves on the back (or high five themselves on a forum) for seeing which option is the best deal.

Customers who might have bought the cheapest option instead opt to buy the middle-grade upsell.

tallica

This would be great if it was the only option. Purchasers would get a true express access. Due to price point LL lines should be 90% shorter and standby lines will be basically a normal steadily moving line.

Supertech65

I'm staying at a Deluxe resort next month and I usually stay in them for most of my trips which usually is 2 to 3 times per year. I would never be that foolish to spend this kind of money on top of what I'm already paying to stay at my resort plus the ticket to get in. Why on God's green Earth whould I want to pay almost $400 per person to ride it's a small world just so I can get ahead of everybody else. There are not enough rides in Magic Kingdom to make this even come close to being worth it. There maybe 6 rides worth trying to get on earlier plus with big thunder mountain being taken out of commission for the next year, what's left? To me very limited people are even gonna purchase this. Yes, there are a lot of Deluxe resorts on property but I find it hard to believe many will purchase it. I love how some people think this is a perk, a perk is something you get at a discount or maybe even free with the purchase of something else. But yet this is Disney's way of saying thank you for paying almost $800 a night to stay at the Grand Floridian So as a perk we'll allow you to pay $400 per person to be able to ride a few rides in Magic Kingdom. They must think we're fools.

Chi84

Premium Member
IMO, much of the thread is more laughing than being worried.

We have a common myth that wealth is related to how smart a person is, and that smart/wealthy people are above being fooled into dumb purchases.

So many people find it funny when the emperor is walking around naked while bragging about his invisible clothes.
How can you tell when people are being dumb as opposed to simply choosing how to spend their discretionary money in a ridiculously expensive vacation venue?

Stripes

Premium Member
Nah. Universal gives this as a perk to their "deluxe" guests...today's Disney can't be bothered by even the pretense of giving something for nothing.
Universal is not including Express at their new deluxe resort and the only reason they still provide it at the existing deluxe resorts is because it’s part of a contract they have with Loews that they can’t back out of.

Last edited:

KDM31091

I'm staying at a Deluxe resort next month and I usually stay in them for most of my trips which usually is 2 to 3 times per year. I would never be that foolish to spend this kind of money on top of what I'm already paying to stay at my resort plus the ticket to get in. Why on God's green Earth whould I want to pay almost $400 per person to ride it's a small world just so I can get ahead of everybody else. There are not enough rides in Magic Kingdom to make this even come close to being worth it. There maybe 6 rides worth trying to get on earlier plus with big thunder mountain being taken out of commission for the next year, what's left? To me very limited people are even gonna purchase this. Yes, there are a lot of Deluxe resorts on property but I find it hard to believe many will purchase it. I love how some people think this is a perk, a perk is something you get at a discount or maybe even free with the purchase of something else. But yet this is Disney's way of saying thank you for paying almost $800 a night to stay at the Grand Floridian So as a perk we'll allow you to pay $400 per person to be able to ride a few rides in Magic Kingdom. They must think we're fools.
If anything, you'd think staying at an $800 a night resort would include access to this perk, not just give you the ability to shell out $400 for it.

Stripes

Premium Member
I would entertain Premier Pass at DLR, especially for a quick trip. But not WDW. Just not a good fit for our trips and too expensive.

I don’t think it will harm the guest experience, but I think it will increase Disney’s ROI on new attractions which will further incentivize the company to add more attractions to the parks.

tissandtully

I would entertain Premier Pass at DLR, especially for a quick trip. But not WDW. Just not a good fit for our trips and too expensive.

I don’t think it will harm the guest experience, but I think it will increase Disney’s ROI on new attractions which will further incentivize the company to add more attractions to the parks.
I would do it if it were my first and probably only time in a while at WDW. I did the VIP Experience at Universal Hollywood in July, which was almost $2k for a family of four and it was fantastic, it also included breakfast and an amazing lunch buffet and we got to get off the studio tour bus and walk around soundstages and sets and in the prophouse. It also included Unlimited Express, even for Super Nintendo World. I'd do that again in a heartbeat, I honestly feel it was underpriced for how busy it was this summer.

tissandtully

Have fun supporting Bob-----as a consumer I choose not to participate
Oh this is very unappealing for me because it essentially has no value since I've been on every attraction more times than most people will ever in their lifetimes, but the gods of the market demand growth every year, this is what we get.

UNCgolf

We fall into this category also, we aren’t willing to waste (for a lack of a better term) money just because we have a bunch sitting in the bank though.

For us Disney has become an opportunity cost problem, we can afford all of it but we find it harder and harder to justify going to Disney rather than the alternatives, that are now very similarly priced. A week at WDW for $7k vs a weeklong Alaska cruise for $7k in a mini suite is a no brainer for us, and Disney loses that scenario. A week at WDW for $7k or a week in Europe for $10k is still a no brainer for us, again with Disney losing. They’ve become so expensive it’s hard to ignore the dozens of other more exciting options that are in many cases also a much easier trip to plan.

We still love the parks, they just don’t make financial sense anymore, at least not on a regular basis, the days of monthly DL trips (as APs) and the annual weekly trip to WDW (or 2) are now replaced with a trip or 2 to DL and a half week trip every year or 2 to WDW.

We can still afford it, we just can’t justify it.

Yeah, if all things were equal I would do a week in Europe over a week at WDW every time (would not do a cruise) -- the saving grace for Disney in my case is that I can just drive there in a reasonable amount of time, so I don't have to deal with the hassle of time changes, all the time wasted traveling there and back, etc.; it's a much simpler/easier trip than going to Europe.

That said, we still haven't been to WDW in a few years and don't have any trips planned right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom