Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is the challenge (well, one of them) - no one system will make everyone happy. Majority of people I know would prefer some sort of precooking but definitely not all (estimating like 65% would)
They do not have the capacity to do prebooks. Itā€™s why they canned the last version.

Prebooks laid bare to the planet just how little space on rides they haveā€¦and bogged the whole park down due to inefficiencies in any such system.

Since one of the primary defense of any paid system is: ā€œall other parks do itā€ā€¦letā€™s follow that model:
NONE of them prebook. All line skip or day of virtual queue.

No prebooks.

Itā€™s all simple if you want to follow:
In 2000 (the height of the property)ā€¦they had about 44,000,000 gate clicksā€¦hotels were maximum capacity (99.7 for the yearā€¦)

In 2018 they had about 58,000,0000 Mickey spinsā€¦

Did they have 24.2% more ride capacity in 2018?
Simple questionā€¦donā€™t think too hard.

That conclusion makes any prebooks impossible.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
They do not have the capacity to do preboks. Itā€™s why they canned the last version.

Prebooks laid bare to the planet just how little space on rides they haveā€¦and bogged the whole park done due to inefficiencies in any such system.

Since one of the primary defense of any paid system is: ā€œall other parks do itā€ā€¦letā€™s follow that model:

No prebooks.

In 2000 (the height of the property)ā€¦they had about 44,000,000 gate clicksā€¦hotels were maximum capacity (99.7 for the yearā€¦)

Didn't lentesta just say:
I think youā€™ll be able to pay for and book G+ reservations in advance, like the old FP system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, I wasn't asking about whether it was a good idea. You just said it was impossible and he said he thought it was going to happen. He generally knows things so I was confused.
Sorryā€¦youā€™re right.

Itā€™s ā€œimpossible to get it to workā€

Theyā€™re 0-1 on that and about to bite on the splitter in the dirt.

Maybe with gutted attendance Bob can say ā€œsee?ā€¦it works okā€ and then quickly retire?

I meanā€¦please? šŸ™šŸ»

SamusAranX

X2 What a terrible analogy.

G+ is a time saver and it works. If it didn't cost money I'd be very happy with it over FP+.
Fastpass systems such as Genie increase overall standby wait times
They do not have the capacity to do prebooks. Itā€™s why they canned the last version.

Prebooks laid bare to the planet just how little space on rides they haveā€¦and bogged the whole park down due to inefficiencies in any such system.

No prebooks.

Ironically, the pandemic bailed Disney out on that. The pre booking system was unsustainable.

Not sure why so many canā€™t see this. You only have so many chairs to go around.

Mark_E

Been very interesting to have a read through of this thread. Iā€™ve not been to the Orlando parks in 8 years (we have a trip planned for end of Jan into Feb 2024) but I have been numerous times to the California parks and also Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

What I found in all 4 Asian parks was that very few people opt to purchase the premier access. This meant the lines, whilst looking very long, moved at a really fast pace. The management of the queues, especially in Tokyo, is very good, and the wait times usually very accurate. In 2020, I loved having MaxPass in California, it really was a great option and great value. When I returned earlier this year, I bought Genie+ and just did rope drop for Rise (20 min wait by the time we caught up with all the runners).

I think for our Orlando trip we will maybe buy a few of days of Genie+, but really go to town on it the days we do get it. Otherwise, will make use of as many single rider queues and just wait in the other lines. I think doing the Asian parks has made me a bit more justā€¦ used to waiting in the standby lines than we had to back with FP+. It really is the best option because it means (almost) everyone just waits and gets on in overall less time.

I did buy a premier access for Soarinā€™ in DisneySea, I was with a first timer but didnā€™t want to wait 90 minutes in what I assume would be a relatively slow moving queue.

Dranth

Itā€™s ā€œimpossible to get it to workā€
They can make it work; it is just a question of will they.

I personally am not found of the idea of allowing prebooking again at this point but this isn't FP+. That was three rides ahead of time for nearly everyone. G+ is a far more limited subset of guests so nowhere near the same numbers of people attempting to book rides. Additionally, they could limit it to one ride ahead of time, further reducing capacity drain.

We all know and agree that long term they must have more capacity at all four parks but based on what we have now and who we have in charge, we need to deal with the reality of visiting the parks. In that context, this can work.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

I think for our Orlando trip we will maybe buy a few of days of Genie+, but really go to town on it the days we do get it. O

One thing we found our last trip is we really got a lot done with using G+, got on more higher level rides than under FP+ ... BUT it did take more effort, more "in park project management", etc ... So totally agree with your plan - get it a few days and have those be your heavy attraction days, and then don't get it some days and have those days be a bit more relaxing

Mark_E

One thing we found our last trip is we really got a lot done with using G+, got on more higher level rides than under FP+ ... BUT it did take more effort, more "in park project management", etc ... So totally agree with your plan - get it a few days and have those be your heavy attraction days, and then don't get it some days and have those days be a bit more relaxing
Yep, we will have the 2 week pass, so we will have days where we only do part days, or take in more shows etc. My parent's wont do the bigger rides (especially mum) so I think we will do ok without it.

G00fyDad

Yepā€¦for everyone.

Opinions varyā€¦math and ops problems are constants
So you are trying to tell me that even though it worked well for my family having FP+ and we would not mind paying for it that it actually did not work for us? Seriously? Okay..... That is a bold statement to make about someone else but to each their own I guess.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So you are trying to tell me that even though it worked well for my family having FP+ and we would not mind paying for it that it actually did not work for us? Seriously? Okay..... That is a bold statement to make about someone else but to each their own I guess.
Itā€™s a mass marketā€¦and it doesnā€™t work for the whole market

There are no individuals at wdw.

Not only thatā€¦but negative capacity hurts sales of the high profit stuff as well as it cuts down on the available time in parks to do soā€¦which is 101% the point of corralling drunken college kids by the handfuls and having them there to serve you.

You donā€™t have to believe me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They can make it work; it is just a question of will they.

I personally am not found of the idea of allowing prebooking again at this point but this isn't FP+. That was three rides ahead of time for nearly everyone. G+ is a far more limited subset of guests so nowhere near the same numbers of people attempting to book rides. Additionally, they could limit it to one ride ahead of time, further reducing capacity drain.

We all know and agree that long term they must have more capacity at all four parks but based on what we have now and who we have in charge, we need to deal with the reality of visiting the parks. In that context, this can work.
Then it will be ā€œless of a problemā€ā€¦that isnā€™t ā€œworkingā€ā€¦

We reward failure around here.

The only way to ā€œsucceedā€ is to provide enough for the people paying an average of like $6000 a week now? To doā€¦

Letā€™s hope epic is ā€œepicā€ and Bob and his board all of a sudden ā€œcareā€ about their families šŸ¤žšŸ»

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom