Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Diamond Dot

Couldn't agree more..........Complete waste of money and the experience is stressful and exhausting on top of it actually not working

getting up at 7am, being on your phone all day while having no control over your itinerary really stinks bad

WDW has turned into an awful experience and it really bums me out b we loved it in its previous form
Something strange, I could only get ToT for 11.30, but, as it was the ride with the shortest line on park entry I decided to join the line, there were two people who did the LL the entire 30 minutes I was in the standby line and yet I couldn't get a reservation before11.30 even though I was on at 7am. Something stinks.

pdude81

I just checked Genie and my reservation has been changed, without my knowledge, to 12.15. Has this happened to any one else? I was cross with wasting my money before, now I'm seething.
When you select a time, it shows you what's available currently at that second, not unlike the stock market. You select and then it takes you to a different screen with the actual time you're booking. Most people just click through and don't really check to see what it is. If you don't like what it is trying to give you, then you can cancel there and try to pick something else.

Also there are often more times that show up ten or fifteen minutes after 7 and at some random spots throughout the day. They make you nervous to cancel what you have for those since it's hard to tell if that's just one time dropped or a batch. It takes some working with the system to figure out the differences. All in all, a swap or change of them rather than cancel or rebook would work a little better, but I'm assuming that would cause booking clocks to reset and they don't 'want to deal with more lines at GR.

dreday3

So people that really hate G+ (I fully admit it isn't perfect). If G+ did 4 things different, would you still hate the system?

1)First G+ selection can be made once in the park (giving resort guests 30 minute jump if they are in the park)
2)Allowing you to select a time
3)Allow you to modify a reservation, not just cancel and rebook
4)If it was free (not going to happen, but lets take money out of it)

We're going to have to pay no matter what. So keeping that in mind I'm fine with most of it the way it is.
I think for paid attractions you can still search and pick your times?
I would love to be able to modify a genie + without canceling.

Mostly I'd like them to allow resort guests at least one pre-book Genie + (not paid attraction) each day. Like 30 days in advance I can pre-book Slinky for our DHS day.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
How to fix Genie+ in my view (without making it free, which I don't think will happen).

1. Resort guests can book their ILLs and first LL a week before check in for length of stay.
2. Allow time selection for LLs.
3. Lock in the time you select when you click book experience. It is awful to see a time, go through the process, and then see that your return time is completely different, sometimes hours away.
4. Allow modification of reservations.

Diamond Dot

The CM who refunded me said it's of most use in MK, but, I would be leery of it even there despite there being more rides available to use it on.
I did use the Magical Lens and that was nice, but, one ride and a couple of photos is not worth the money

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Something strange, I could only get ToT for 11.30, but, as it was the ride with the shortest line on park entry I decided to join the line, there were two people who did the LL the entire 30 minutes I was in the standby line and yet I couldn't get a reservation before11.30 even though I was on at 7am. Something stinks.

I am not going until the end of April, but I have been checking out the tip board in the app to get a feel for the LL return times. One thing I noticed is that early in the day the return times jump around a lot. I was looking at Jungle Cruise for example, I would look twice a few minutes apart, and the second time had a return that was hours earlier then the first time I looked.

Rob562

So as someone visiting wdw in May should I consider using Genie+?

Go check out the YouTube series of videos by Touring Plans about Genie+. Their second video goes into detail on how much time you can expect to save at each park on Low, Moderate and High crowd level days. That could then help inform your decision on which days (if any) you buy G+.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Go check out the YouTube series of videos by Touring Plans about Genie+. Their second video goes into detail on how much time you can expect to save at each park on Low, Moderate and High crowd level days. That could then help inform your decision on which days (if any) you buy G+.

-Rob

Yeah, it's really going to come down to how much time in line will it save, and if that savings is worth the cost to you.

pdude81

I am not going until the end of April, but I have been checking out the tip board in the app to get a feel for the LL return times. One thing I noticed is that early in the day the return times jump around a lot. I was looking at Jungle Cruise for example, I would look twice a few minutes apart, and the second time had a return that was hours earlier then the first time I looked.
This was definitely the case for me in January. They waver a lot in the first 15 minutes especially at 7. Then a similar situation around park open.

James J

In the Parks
No
Genie + BLOWS...so the answer is no.....
Dude, we get it. You don't like it. I'd recommend a breather from this thread for a while as I'm fairly sure that of the near 1000 messages you've posted on these boards, the majority are in this topic saying how much you hate Genie+, won't get up at 7am because you don't go into the parks until way late in the afternoon and so on.

I hadn't been in here for a while but we've been offered Genie+ at a discounted rate for our May trip from the UK so wanted to see how things were going, and it's the same drum being beaten over and over. The post a few pages back from @Purduevian with their trip report from Reddit is super helpful though.

Chi84

Premium Member
Dude, we get it. You don't like it. I'd recommend a breather from this thread for a while as I'm fairly sure that of the near 1000 messages you've posted on these boards, the majority are in this topic saying how much you hate Genie+, won't get up at 7am because you don't go into the parks until way late in the afternoon and so on.

I hadn't been in here for a while but we've been offered Genie+ at a discounted rate for our May trip from the UK so wanted to see how things were going, and it's the same drum being beaten over and over. The post a few pages back from @Purduevian with their trip report from Reddit is super helpful though.
It’s totally your call, but I’ve always found that using the ignore feature works better than trying to control what someone else posts. Especially if it’s just one or two people.

TikibirdLand

Did I mention Genie+ Blows? 🤣 Not sure what it blows. But, it does. We had tornados here yesterday. Maybe that's the blowing being discussed?

Purduevian

I do respect his position though and I think Disney has really put themselves between a rock and a hard place by changing the system around so much, that it appealed to different demographics and now someone will always be super upset by it.

Ignoring the money and focusing on the system...
G+ is much better for:
  • offsite guests as only ILL has a resort perk (I stayed offsite last trip for the first time in ~10 years)
  • People that like to go with the flow and let the day come to them
  • People that book more last minute vacations (don't miss out because they weren't ready 30 or 60 days out)
  • People that just don't want to plan a lot. Just want to show up and have a good time.
FP+ is much better for:
  • Hyper planners (anyone else used to have excel spreadsheets?)
  • People that like to sleep in
  • People that stay onsite (actually got a huge advantage)
When FP+ was around, people used to complain all the time that you had to over plan for everything at WDW and DLR was so much easier to just walk up and have a good day.

Personal experience (so far only used G+ for one day).
  • I was on my phone less than FP+
  • I got on less attractions with G+ vs LL (I blame the lack of a modify button though, which is also why I was on my phone less)
  • I felt like the system was worth $15 compared to my day of pre-G+ in October
  • Never waited more than 30 minutes for a ride in either system
  • I used to pick the soonest time anyway... so picking times really doesn't matter to me
For my current touring style, park open to close kind of guy, G+ would be as good as FP+ for me (ignoring the money) with 4 easy fixes
1) First LL can be made at park open, whether you are in the park or not (sleep is precious on a WDW vacation)
2)Let me modify my selection (because as crazy as it is to some, I like playing the "fast pass game" as we called it trying to get a better time whenever I was basically on my phone anyway because I was waiting for something.
3)Allow re-rides
4)Put all rides on normal G+, I probably won't ride 7D for years because it's not worth money to me to skip the line for just it and I'm also not willing to wait that long.

Quick comparison of my MK days using G+ vs FP+
G+ (sold out day)skipped the line for: Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Carpets, Big Thunder, Mansion, Pan, Mermaid, Pooh, Tea cups, Space, and Buzz. Total of 11 rides
FP+ (July 4th week 2019) skipped the line for: Splash, Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pan, Pooh (x2), 7 dwarfs, Meet Tiana and Rapunzel, Meet Ariel, Under the Sea, Dumbo, Tea Cups, Buzz (x2), Meet Mickey & Minnie (they were meeting together) and Meet Tinkerbell. 12 rides and 4 meet and greets

TLDR: For some people like Jeff, the new system sucks because the old system was better for his touring style. For some people, the new system is probably way better. For people like me, G+ is actually fairly close although there are a few clear drawbacks that I wish they would fix.

UNCgolf

Not allowing re-rides is a huge problem for me, especially at DAK (and probably EPCOT too). It's not worth $15 to ride NRJ once and the Safari once. It would absolutely be worth it if I could ride them both several times, though.

I understand why they're not allowed -- Disney knows they don't have enough capacity for it -- and that same lack of capacity means it would probably be hard to get more than one time anyways, but it still devalues the system.

It's really an issue even at the MK, because not everyone cares about the same rides and that park actually has the capacity to handle it. I'm sure there are plenty of guests who would prefer to ride Haunted Mansion (random example) three times instead of it, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder Railroad once.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom