Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Deadly Danson

A few of our listeners work in the field of international tax law and compliance. They suggest two compliance reasons for Disney not implementing this in MDE:
  • Data privacy laws vary and change frequently
  • Sales tax/GST/VAT collection and compliance
This article suggests that (as an example) Germany and France have different levels of VAT rates.

The tax issues may have multiple layers of complexity. Imagine this scenario for Walt Disney World:
  • The guest's permanent domicile is in France (where Disneyland Paris is located, so where Disney has locus)
  • The guest purchases Lightning Lane at the airport in Berlin, on the way to the US
  • Some of the servers used in the transaction reside in Amazon data centers in Spain
Where did this transaction take place, and whose tax rules apply?

Beyond that, I think each country in the EU that participates in the "distance selling" program has different revenue and paperwork thresholds that dictate how much tax is collected. Beyond that threshold, Disney would have to register as a non-resident VAT trader.

Even if they wanted to do all of that, and they had mapped out exactly where the transactions happened and who they needed to pay, they'd have to get every local government to agree to that analysis.

I have some experience selling an app in all 50 states, and I have employees in multiple states. I once spent two years arguing with a state about whether a single, part-time, work-at-home customer service employee constituted an "office" that made us liable for city, municipal, and state sales taxes. And the way they started that discussion was by sending me a bill for $80K as an "estimate" for what they thought I owed. (They ended up agreeing with me that we were exempt from all taxes and didn't owe anytihng. I had to send the state a copy of its own tax code, but still: two years of lawyers and accountants to get that resolved.) Now multiply that by countries, and imagine that's what Disney has to deal with.
Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out. It's interesting and appreciated. Obviously I'm still not amused that Disney roled this out knowing that they were putting international resort guests at the back of the queue and that the first thing I will have to do after a 9 hour flight once checked in and on WiFi in my resort is to book and plan what's left of the Lightning Lanes for my trip but it's good to know some of the issues.

ConfettiCupcake

Im just curious what do international guests think Disney should have done? Just not roll the system out?

I mean, yeah lol. I can use the system but I think it either should not have been rolled out if they can’t get it fully functional for all guests, it should not have been rolled out before a work around solution was established for international guests, or it should not have been rolled out in its current form (tweaking it enough so everybody can use it without a workaround).

They have too much of a history of allowing both purchases from outside of the US/Canada and booking things for me to believe it was impossible to roll a system out that would allow international guests to fully participate.

That’s not to say they care and they know the impact on their business better than I do, but when asked what I think Disney should be doing (not what’s most profitable for them), it’s a system that everyone who is paying for it can use fully.

Splash4eva

Imagine a choice between two options:

1. A ride access system Splash4eva can get the full benefit from

2. A ride access system Splash4eva cannot get the full benefit from

I’m curious what you would prefer?
Imagine this. People like myself not feeling entitled and understanding that things happen for reason and not whining and threatening never going back because of something that seems ro be out of Disneys hands…

You answer a question by asking one instead.
So yes to be clear it would stink but hey if thats whats Disney chooses to do so be it and it seems like disney did nothing spiteful or intentional to anyone

Splash4eva

I mean, yeah lol. I can use the system but I think it either should not have been rolled out if they can’t get it fully functional for all guests, it should not have been rolled out before a work around solution was established for international guests, or it should not have been rolled out in its current form (tweaking it enough so everybody can use it without a workaround).

They have too much of a history of allowing both purchases from outside of the US/Canada and booking things for me to believe it was impossible to roll a system out that would allow international guests to fully participate.

That’s not to say they care and they know the impact on their business better than I do, but when asked what I think Disney should be doing (not what’s most profitable for them), it’s a system that everyone who is paying for it can use fully.
The system can be used just not the same way… and if people feel like that is a huge deal breaker they can stay off site and get what they pay for like others or stay on site and accept what again seems like is out ofdisneys control. Noone is forcing anyone to stay on site. Disney im sure is aware of the “risk” but again seems out of their control

djlaosc

Im just curious what do international guests think Disney should have done? Just not roll the system out?

They've probably been through 3 IT departments since it was originally built, but if the issue is with app purchases, you would think that the easiest thing to do would be to revisit the Fastpass+ coding and build something similar to allow website purchases.

International guests can already make dining reservations on the website, and international guests were able to make Fastpass+ reservations on the website.

Unless the issue is about paying for certain timeslots for certain rides, when they could go down, and potential refund liability (GDPR existed with FP+, if there is an issue, it is with paying, rather than reserving), then you have to think that it is an app issue, rather than an overall issue with the system.

You would think they could get around refunds in the T&Cs (please note, attractions can go down, you are paying for the ability to access 3 attractions from the specified list using the Lightning Lane entrance. If the attraction that you have chosen has gone down, you will get a "Multiple Experience Lightning Lane Experience" that you will be able to use at any time, either for the attraction that has gone down when it reopens, or for another attraction from a specified list).

So, I would add the system to the website.

bwr827

You answer a question by asking one instead.
So yes to be clear it would stink but hey if thats whats Disney chooses to do so be it and it seems like disney did nothing spiteful or intentional to anyone
Ok so you prefer the one that works for you. That makes sense!

I’m Canadian, so I can’t speak for my non-Canadian international friends by answering your original question with an answer.

ConfettiCupcake

The system can be used just not the same way… and if people feel like that is a huge deal breaker they can stay off site and get what they pay for like others or stay on site and accept what again seems like is out ofdisneys control. Noone is forcing anyone to stay on site. Disney im sure is aware of the “risk” but again seems out of their control

Not being used the same way is a big deal. This system is being billed as a pre planning system like FP+ was. It’s disingenuous IMO to talk as if that losing some or all of the prebooking window is not losing a major function of the system. Even international guests who are offsite are losing out unless they are already in the US at the 3 day mark.

They have at one time allowed pre purchase of a line skip program from outside of Canada/US, they’ve also allowed pre booking of rides without a direct cost, I believe they even allow non refundable items to be booked (but someone may have to fact check me on that). All that combined leads me to believe there could be a workaround or a fully functional version of this system. Their hands being tied is speculation based on speculation as to why international guests don’t have access in the first place.

ConfettiCupcake

Apologies for the double posting, this feels too long to add as an edit…

Since this system closely resembles FP+ and many of us have experience with FP+, we can probably use that as a decent reference point. FP+ day of availability and night before availability was for the most part picked over and terrible, with the only somewhat reliable way to pick up the sought after attractions being refreshing or understanding drops. It would be a huge barrier to a user if they had been restricted until arrival in Florida when the majority still had their pre arrival windows.

Unless they are deliberately holding all day availability at all attractions in high enough numbers to allow international guests the same experience, I think it’s disingenuous to not recognize that losing the prebooking window is losing a major function of the system.

I’d have really frustrated if Canada was still included. A somewhat last minute system change impacting a vacation is one thing, but for the most part people are all in the same boat when Disney does that. Not with this.

nickys

Premium Member
If we stay offsite we still don’t get to book when everyone else does.

If it is an app issue ias @lentesta described then there are workarounds that Disney could implement.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t have rolled this out. I do think Disney should have acknowledged that they realise this disadvantages international guests and that they are looking for a solution.

And they could also have said “and in the meantime here’s what we can do to help”.

For example for those that have trips already booked, Disney could have a separate pool of LLs and ILLs for them.

Disney could have let WDTC (their travel arm for international guests) know in advance about it - guess what, they didn’t. They shouldn’t have said “ask your travel agent to book for you” without having a system in place for that to happen. WDTC are the travel agent for many onsite guests. They could have a team set up to book for their onsite guests. They shouldn’t be pretending everything’s just fine.

There’s a lot they could have done. I’d be happy with a statement being issued.

Mark Dunne

Lol, no. Don’t get me wrong, I hope they fix this, I really do. But Disney is likely calculating that this isn’t actually going to turn off a ton of international tourism. I think they may be right. Most international tourists are not like you. They’re first time visitors. They may not even know that multipass exists. In any event the idea that the parks would all close without international guests is laughable and belied by 50 years of history including eras with much lower international travel than today.
Yeah ok I went a bit far with that line. But i think international guests bring a lot of money with them, hey listen I only ever try to come to America for my holiday, the reason is simple,1, you guys! 2,What you have to offer in attractions, 3, how you look after visitors,4 cleanliness , I’d take that over the lousy weather here, 2nd rate theme parks, and over the top prices. 😂.

Mark Dunne

Roll it out, but don't charge for it. Problem solved.
Funny thing is,Disney added GP it to our packages i think a couple of years ago, so we all thought ‘’great , we can buy the whole lot in one purchase’’ that lasted 2 weeks 😂, they removed it quicker than they added it . They defo must of done the numbers 👍

ConfettiCupcake

Funny thing is,Disney added GP it to our packages i think a couple of years ago, so we all thought ‘’great , we can buy the whole lot in one purchase’’ that lasted 2 weeks 😂, they removed it quicker than they added it . They defo must of done the numbers 👍

We went in that timeframe as well and had it as a ticket add on. Much more pleasant than making the decision each day, with the caveat that it was about half the price at that time per day than what it is today on most days.

Splash4eva

Ok so you prefer the one that works for you. That makes sense!

I’m Canadian, so I can’t speak for my non-Canadian international friends by answering your original question with an answer.
Im saying im aware companies at times may NOT be able to give every single person the identical experience and im 100% fine with that because im realistic and dont have a sense of entitlement

Mark Dunne

We went in that timeframe as well and had it as a ticket add on. Much more pleasant than making the decision each day, with the caveat that it was about half the price at that time per day than what it is today on most days.
Your right, I just worry we come over , get to the resort, then go mad buying LL & ILL, only to find a lot of the times have gone, hey just realised that individual light lane is ILL for short, that’s how us international guests will feel if we don’t get this changed 😂

Deadly Danson

Im saying im aware companies at times may NOT be able to give every single person the identical experience and im 100% fine with that because im realistic and dont have a sense of entitlement
If folk are paying the exact same price for a product but getting a much worse product than others is that entitled? I wonder how you'd feel if US guests were put to the back of the queue. There are of course a million more important things to worry about in the world but having paid many thousands of pounds for a holiday only to have the company you've bought it from change the terms at the last minute I think international guests are entitled to feel a bit miffed.

ConfettiCupcake

I wouldn’t frame expecting a paid service to be providing the same base options to all guests as entitled. Entitled is expecting something more than what you’re paying for. LLMP and LLSP are being advertised as a way to plan before you’re here (I took that verbiage straight from Disney parks blog).

Entitled when it comes to LLMP would be expecting money back when you miss out on an attraction due to availability, or thinking you shouldn’t have to pay the advertised prices for a multitude of reasons, but being disappointed you aren’t getting what they advertise is completely fair IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom