Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At the Christmas party, lines steadily moved the entire time. This wasn't because there wasn't a line for Big Thunder, but because there was no one in LL. If you take people out of LL, your wait may still be long, but you'll be moving and feeling like you're making progress the entire time. Standing in the same place for fifteen minutes causes more frustration than anything.
Just like it used to be. And how the parks were designed.

LittleBuford

You missed the entire point of this post.
If your point is that moving continually feels better than waiting in the same spot, I don't think the Christmas parties are a particularly good way of making it, because the lines aren't long enough to cause long waits in the first place. A better comparison would be with the pre-FP days, when queues for the headliners were long and moved continually. Not everyone agrees that that was preferable to what we have now.

bmr1591

If your point is that moving continually feels better than waiting in the same spot, I don't think the Christmas parties are a particularly good way of making it, because the lines aren't long enough to cause long waits in the first place. A better comparison would be with the pre-FP days, when queues for the headliners were long and moved continually. Not everyone agrees that that was preferable to what we have now.

The lines are long either way. Moving is mentally a better feeling than standing in the same place for fifteen minutes while LLers zoom past everyone.

Touchdown

<30 min wait should be acceptable to all at anytime, if it’s a great ride and you only plan on doing this size wait 1-3x a day, <60 min is acceptable. >60 min is something that really should be avoided or at worse be done only once per day. Those are reasonable theme park expectations, and can easily still be achieved without G+. It would be far easier if less people used G+.

LittleBuford

<30 min wait should be acceptable to all at anytime, if it’s a great ride and you only plan on doing this size wait 1-3x a day, <60 min is acceptable. >60 min is something that really should be avoided or at worse be done only once per day. Those are reasonable theme park expectations, and can easily still be achieved without G+. It would be far easier if less people used G+.
I don't mean this as a gotcha, because I myself don't always follow through on what I believe to be right in principle, but do you yourself not use Genie+?

TheMaxRebo

Which is what FP was initially designed for - to be at a handful or rides that were consistently getting 90+ min waits (and what I wish it would get back to but getting rid of G+ and expanding ILLs)

But then the system was expanded and collapses under it's own weight

JD80

Last week I did Epcot, MK, MK Party, AK and Epcot again.

I bought G+ for MK and I feel like it was worth it, but I'm not sure I ever want to go to MK on a non-party day during a Party season again.

Epcot I bought only because the weather was supposed to be bad and we were going in late. But the weather cleared and we did a full day. Waste of money because we went in early, but if we were going in at lunch time it would of had value.

Totally not necessary anywhere other than MK. We didn't do a DHS day.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Genie+ at Disney's Hollywood Studios/Multiple Parks has sold out for the day.

IMG_BA9AA3A6EBA0-1.jpeg

Splash4eva

At the Christmas party, lines steadily moved the entire time. This wasn't because there wasn't a line for Big Thunder, but because there was no one in LL. If you take people out of LL, your wait may still be long, but you'll be moving and feeling like you're making progress the entire time. Standing in the same place for fifteen minutes causes more frustration than anything.
But a 60 minute wait is still a 60 minute wait. No time is saved or lost…

Jenny72

I think the point is that Genie+ engenders feelings of frustration and resentment. My son specifically told me he can't stand waiting in line when it's just standing. He says he can walk but not just stand there. I tried to get him to sit down on the ground or whatever, but a lot of times there's nowhere to sit except in the middle of a switchback where the floor is gross. A lot of the lines are not built for long-term standing but that's what you end up doing.

A theme park experience (as opposed to an amusement park) is more than just the number of rides you get to rack up in a day. It's the feeling you have when you're there, the sensory experience, unexpected touches, and...you know, magic. Genie+ really takes a bite out of that magic feeling and makes it feel like it's just another pay-to-play game.

Splash4eva

I think the point is that Genie+ engenders feelings of frustration and resentment. My son specifically told me he can't stand waiting in line when it's just standing. He says he can walk but not just stand there. I tried to get him to sit down on the ground or whatever, but a lot of times there's nowhere to sit except in the middle of a switchback where the floor is gross. A lot of the lines are not built for long-term standing but that's what you end up doing.

A theme park experience (as opposed to an amusement park) is more than just the number of rides you get to rack up in a day. It's the feeling you have when you're there, the sensory experience, unexpected touches, and...you know, magic. Genie+ really takes a bite out of that magic feeling and makes it feel like it's just another pay-to-play game.
But fastpass didnt? These systems or variations have been in place for 2 decades now. It is what it is sadly and until they add capacity nothing will change.

Jenny72

If there absolutely has to be a line skip, give everyone three and be done with it. No more adding new ones during the day, jockeying for drops, hovering over the phone, etc. Just three and out. Or two, if that's all the system can handle. Yes, some people would have an advantage at getting the big ticket ones.

Yes, I know it's pointless to speculate, "it is what it is" etc. This could feasibly placate a lot of people and ease pressure on the system. But it wouldn't make money short term, so it's out.

TheMaxRebo

If there absolutely has to be a line skip, give everyone three and be done with it. No more adding new ones during the day, jockeying for drops, hovering over the phone, etc. Just three and out. Or two, if that's all the system can handle. Yes, some people would have an advantage at getting the big ticket ones.

Yes, I know it's pointless to speculate, "it is what it is" etc. This could feasibly placate a lot of people and ease pressure on the system. But it wouldn't make money short term, so it's out.

I think that makes sense - so at least everyone who buys it gets 2 "good" uses, but if you are paying for like 2 or something it's not that different from just expanding ILLs to more ride and let people pick and choose

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom