Rumor Light Rail / Tram Link for Disney Springs to TTC?

Bpmorley

Don't quote me on this, and I can't even verify my source, but I'd heard a potential possibility of a Light Rail / Tram link to connect some more of the property, one connection I'd heard was the Disney Springs to TTC connection.

I believe there's already buses are there not? Can someone clear this up for me?
I heard this from an employee at SSR a couple years back. He also said about the gondola thing that's going up now. But like anything there, I'll believe it when I see it.

fgmnt

Don’t be so sure.
You would have to think, looking at all existing locations on the property, ropeways don't makes a lot of sense unless you wanted to use them to link DAK to AKL. Even then, thinking about how the skyride would approach the park (seeing an even uglier angle of the Pandora building) and you could probably rule it out there, too?

nace888

Original Poster
I have always liked the totally private road ways idea. Dedicated for whatever vehicle at a fraction of the cost of the monorail for example
Yet, the argument of flexibility with the monorail is the thing. They could go practically anywhere and avoid traffic. It's not as flexible as say a car on the road, but yanno.

Disstevefan1

Yet, the argument of flexibility with the monorail is the thing. They could go practically anywhere and avoid traffic. It's not as flexible as say a car on the road, but yanno.

I LOVE the monorail! But I think the cost was a million dollars a mile quoted decades ago! I would hate to know what it costs now! Disney is way too penny pinching these days to spend that on what is in effect FREE transportation at WDW where what ever Disney does (or doesn't do) folks just keep coming.

The overseas parks are a different story, Disney continues to POUR money into them.....

nace888

Original Poster
I LOVE the monorail! But I think the cost was a million dollars a mile quoted decades ago! I would hate to know what it costs now! Disney is way too penny pinching these days to spend that on what is in effect FREE transportation at WDW where what ever Disney does (or doesn't do) folks just keep coming.

The overseas parks are a different story, Disney continues to POUR money into them.....
Wait a few minutes -- someone will tell you...

As per The Monorail Society,
if the numbers are correct,

Hitachi
$15 million/km

Hitachi
$62 million/km

VSL
(refurbished Mark IV trains)
$25 million/mile

Hitachi
$27 million/km
$44 million/mile

Kuala Lumpur MTrans
$36 million/km

Bombardier MVI
$88 million/mile

Hitachi
$73.4 million/km

Metrail
$20 million/km

Scomi
$27.25 million/km

Also listed there:
" Disclaimer: The above figures were calculated by extrapolating information in the public domain. We encourage manufacturers and consultants to provide us with corrected cost estimates if any of our numbers appear to be incorrect. As stated above, the number one question posed to us is "How much does monorail cost?" This information is vital for those proposing or planning a transit system. Please contact us with information or requests for corrections. Thank you! "

Creathir

AND if this is correct as well, here's another rough answer.

https://www.railprofessional.com/news/thailand-monorail-bombardier
Which is 2 lines totalling 40 miles of beamway and includes 72 4-car trains.

Cost: $3.3 billion
So $83M per mile (if you toss in 2 trains per mile too)

Honestly, compared to the Skyliner even, this is almost a better deal.

It’s about $200-$230M for the entire 2.7 mile project, so right around $75M-$85M per mile.

Public transportation is expensive.

Disneyrailfan1996

Don't quote me on this, and I can't even verify my source, but I'd heard a potential possibility of a Light Rail / Tram link to connect some more of the property, one connection I'd heard was the Disney Springs to TTC connection.

I believe there's already buses are there not? Can someone clear this up for me?
It’s funny you say this because I once imagined a rail system other than the monorail to connect different parts of the resort. Wasn’t exactly light rail, but it was rail.

s8film40

Which is 2 lines totalling 40 miles of beamway and includes 72 4-car trains.

Cost: $3.3 billion
So $83M per mile (if you toss in 2 trains per mile too)

Honestly, compared to the Skyliner even, this is almost a better deal.

It’s about $200-$230M for the entire 2.7 mile project, so right around $75M-$85M per mile.

Public transportation is expensive.
And then if you factor in throughput the monorail will be cheaper per person.

Creathir

And then if you factor in throughput the monorail will be cheaper per person.
Exactly.

The Skyliner serves a specific purpose, but grand replacement of existing infrastructure or really any sort of long distance transportation (more than a mile or so per leg) and it becomes very inefficient and prohibitive.

If monorail expansion is not looked at as the solution, it probably is some form of a light rail system, though from a cost standpoint that is not inexpensive either.

The Visionary Soul

Disney Springs was designed for a transportation hub area directly between the two parking garages. Only the bus Loop was built. There’s more to come. However, this is many years down the road now. Nothing will happen for quite a while on this project.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Disney Springs was designed for a transportation hub area directly between the two parking garages. Only the bus Loop was built. There’s more to come.

So is the new bus Loop that was built originally designed to coincide with a transportation hub? Or is the bus Loop as we see it now a modification since no transportation hub was built?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney Springs was designed for a transportation hub area directly between the two parking garages. Only the bus Loop was built. There’s more to come. However, this is many years down the road now. Nothing will happen for quite a while on this project.

Well, if you keep the bus loop, there isn't room for anything else unless you go vertical.

And would the dedicated bus lanes wind up being dedicated something-else lanes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom