News Liberty Square to Fantasyland walkway to be widened behind Cinderella Castle

Janir

I have come to the point where I just can't twist out of people's way anymore. I have strained my back and my knee trying to avoid a collision with a clueless person. I am 5'5" medium build woman and now I just brace and bang into some people instead of hurting myself. If I am gonna get hurt, so are they. I don't do this to children, elderly, pregnant, etc. Just these able bodied people who just don't give a crap.
I'm a bigger guy and I generally look forward and at people as they are coming towards me so the obliviots tend to see me early enough that they generally don't want to run into me. I politely keep to the right and stay with in the flow of traffic to keep the collisions down. My wife being smaller than me generally follows in my wake so she doesn't have to play the collision game.

The Obliviots are MUCH worse in DLR vs WDW, IMO. DLR, already having a higher saturation point of people, is bad enough, but when they don't even look up once in a while to just plain see where they are going or paying attention to what they are doing in the middle of main street. WDW I can deal with, DLR is a challenge.

Kman101

I'm a bigger guy and I generally look forward and at people as they are coming towards me so the obliviots tend to see me early enough that they generally don't want to run into me. I politely keep to the right and stay with in the flow of traffic to keep the collisions down. My wife being smaller than me generally follows in my wake so she doesn't have to play the collision game.

The Obliviots are MUCH worse in DLR vs WDW, IMO. DLR, already having a higher saturation point of people, is bad enough, but when they don't even look up once in a while to just plain see where they are going or paying attention to what they are doing in the middle of main street. WDW I can deal with, DLR is a challenge.

It's really a struggle some days, especially at the MK. It's always so frustrating when you see a clear path yet a second later so do others and they basically walk right towards you without even noticing. I get distracted looking around too but it's very very hard to just stroll around the park. You really can't sometimes. I've said it many times but the MK isn't that fun to just be in anymore. Neither is the arrival process. Many many times I've decided against going there to avoid the process and the mass of people inside. The other parks, I honestly don't notice it quite as bad. It's still there, but the MK isn't very fun most of the time.

I can't imagine DL. It looks horrific most of the time with crowds. Far cry from when I visited there in 2008 ... LOL. Really surprising in the last 10 years to see the amount of people that pour in.

Janir

Problem is none of them are WOC quality. With so much land and 4 parks, you'd think WDW could find a way to get a show like this in the parks. It checks off many cost cutting boxes: no performing cast members, no fireworks, no set pieces and a handful of show techs. Just don't flood the control room.
I'm gonna guess that the replacement for EPCOT fireworks show will add in more water projection. There were some reports I read that work on the water has already started for it.

Janir

Am I the only one who is slightly sad to see this path widened? I rather liked the quiet, intimate and secret feel to it. It's one of my favorite paths since it's not typically crowded. I don't have a stroller, so maybe I like it being one of the few places I don't run into a thousand of them. I dunno, it just seems like before we know there will in fact be no more water surrounding the castle.
Yeah, I kinda likes the feel to it too. We generally avoided it when it looked busy and would just go around between PPF and IASW as needed. But it did have a secret path sort of feel to it.

TTA94

I'm gonna guess that the replacement for EPCOT fireworks show will add in more water projection. There were some reports I read that work on the water has already started for it.

From what it sounds the Illuminations replacement will be very similar to the fountains in Rivers of Light, minus the lotus of course. I’m not expecting to many fountains sadly asside from the likely four barges.

ImperfectPixie

With all the pathway widening to ease traffic jams (MK/Disneyland), I’m a little concerned the parks are going to end up feeling like big, open parking lots. Narrow and winding paths make it more fun to wander and explore, and with the removal of planters and grassy areas, we seem to also be losing shade trees and places to rest.
I agree. If I wanted the Six Flags Concrete Jungle feel, I'd go to Six Flags. (We refer to Six Flags as the Seventh Level of H-E-Double-Hockey-sticks at our house.)

GlacierGlacier

From what it sounds the Illuminations replacement will be very similar to the fountains in Rivers of Light, minus the lotus of course. I’m not expecting to many fountains sadly asside from the likely four barges.
There was the installation of an electrical thing (I don't know the words) that is likely going to be used for fountains on one of the World Showcase Lagoon islands. I'd expect to there them there, again, in the style of the RoL massive arcs of water.

DHoy

Wonder if well continue to see additional projects like this as we approach the 50th in 2021. I could definitely see the connector from tomorrowland to circus getting widened during the tron construction. It would also be good if they widen the path next to the castle on the tomorrowlans side.

tirian

...especially when the high school kids and families pour into the DL resort every weekday after school.

tirian

With all the pathway widening to ease traffic jams (MK/Disneyland), I’m a little concerned the parks are going to end up feeling like big, open parking lots. Narrow and winding paths make it more fun to wander and explore, and with the removal of planters and grassy areas, we seem to also be losing shade trees and places to rest.
Have you been to DCA? Have you seen pictures of Shanghai? Modern WDI has no problem with giant parking lots. The only exceptions are projects that Joe Rohde shepherds; then you simply walk a long way to get to a single attraction. :D

tirian

Am I the only one who is slightly sad to see this path widened? I rather liked the quiet, intimate and secret feel to it. It's one of my favorite paths since it's not typically crowded. I don't have a stroller, so maybe I like it being one of the few places I don't run into a thousand of them. I dunno, it just seems like before we know there will in fact be no more water surrounding the castle.
I do miss the quiet places and the park-like feel the MK had until c.2001, when the hub and MSUSA were “optimized” for fireworks viewing (read: trees chopped down).

At least the new hub was done very well and feels like a natural bridge between Main Street and the French Gothic castle; plus traffic flow is better now.

This side path truly needed to be widened. I’m surprised it didn’t happen long ago. The old fiberglass planters and narrow paths from the 1970s simply can’t handle modern strollers, ECVs, and — ahem — American diets. People are larger and there is more “wheel” traffic than in the past.

BTW, we don’t need fountains in the moat. We need a new night parade. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LOL. Yes hard to tell after the fact with them filled in with cement. To me a novice, looks like tracks. LOL
No worries. They are 47 years old.

The boats were free floating, with guide channels around the more.... delicate areas. Originally they were computer guided, following buried cables, with a natural gas engine providing thrust for two water jet nozzles underwater for propulsion. The guidance system failed almost immediately and so manual control over each jet (one fore, one aft) was taken over by the onboard CM.

They were also a D ticket (!)

Last edited:

_caleb

Have you been to DCA? Have you seen pictures of Shanghai? Modern WDI has no problem with giant parking lots. The only exceptions are projects that Joe Rohde shepherds; then you simply walk a long way to get to a single attraction. :D
Oh, yes. I’m well aware of the wide open spaces at DCA (1.0 was particularly bed)!

I know people hate to compare Disney to Universal, but that’s another thing they got right with the Wizarding World—especially Diagon Alley’s Knockturn Alley—the narrow, winding feel that makes it seem more intimate and really directs your field of view as you explore. The whole time you’re fully immersed in a magical space while you’re also drawn to explore to see what lies around the corner.

Maybe SW:GE will provide some of this?

RSoxNo1

Wasn't there a thought/theory that DAK's parking lot should appear desolate to provide contrast to the overgrown park?

ThistleMae

It's almost like you have to have a walking test, and if you pass you get a license to walk in the parks. Plus it would be a refresher on how to respectfully walk in big crowds. Rule number 1: WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO AVOID UNNECESSARY COLLISIONS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom