News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

Lensman

Sure, although a bit contrived. But why not just call the darn boat the Liberty Belle Riverboat? You know, the actual name of the boat?
I think that would make sense now, but I noticed that from the attached 1976 park map, the attraction was called "Liberty Square Riverboats", plural. A little research and something mentioned earlier in the thread points out that there used to be two boats, the Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard F. Irvine, so I think "Liberty Square Riverboats" makes sense in that context, right?

Perhaps a bit more research will show exactly when the renaming happened after the Joe Fowler was "retired"*. :cry: Or perhaps the cast members in charge of naming are eternally optimistic? Note: Apparently, the Richard F. Irvine was renamed to the Liberty Belle in 1996, well after the attraction was renamed from the plural to the singular.

But as you said, there's no reason the attraction couldn't be renamed again to Liberty Belle Riverboat.

* [Yes, I'm a big fan of Blade Runner]

Attachments

• 1976wdwparkmap.jpg
    1976wdwparkmap.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sure, although a bit contrived. But why not just call the darn boat the Liberty Belle Riverboat? You know, the actual name of the boat?

No other Disney property around the world uses that nomenclature phrasing, naming the boat after the land in which it docks. You could make an argument that Disneyland is a one-off since it actually has two large boats loading/unloading at the same dock; the Mark Twain and the Sailing Ship Columbia, plus the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes using the same river.

Every 20 minutes, when Disneyland's Mark Twain Riverboat is steaming around the backside of the river, this happens instead...
P9300060-10000x1500-56a386f33df78cf7727ddcc8.jpg

But Tokyo and Paris have just one big riverboat, and they don't pretend the boat has no name and instead call it the Westernland Riverboat or Thunder Mesa Riverboat. They call the boat by the name of the boat.

I just have this hunch, and sinking feeling, that some college intern cubicle drone in Celebration, Florida decided the history of the park and the boat had no real meaning and just declared it to be Liberty Square Riverboat., and then they went to Starbucks with their other Celebration cubicle farm workers and called it a day. :rolleyes:
It's the TWO riverboats. They couldn't call the attraction by either boat name, so they named it for the landing.

MaximumEd

Steel doesn't leak.

I protect steel gas mains for a living. They leak. While corrosion can be dramatically slowed through the use of coatings and cathodic protection, eventually, anything steel will fail given enough time. That’s the Cliff Notes answer, and certainly the finer points of what can be achieved in perfect lab conditions can be argued, but in the real world things fail.

RSoxNo1

In a random note, why is that WDW calls it's Liberty Belle Riverboat the Liberty Square Riverboat on the MK guidemap I still have from 2017??? And apparently still on the official website... https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/liberty-square-riverboat/

Disneyland has a riverboat, the Mark Twain, but they don't call it the Frontierland Riverboat, they call it the Mark Twain. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/mark-twain-riverboat/

Tokyo Disneyland also has a riverboat, also called the Mark Twain (and identical to Disneyland's right down to the life preservers), but they don't call it the Westernland Riverboat, they call it the Mark Twain. Disneyland Paris has a riverboat, called the Molly Brown, but they don't call it the Thunder Mesa Riverboat, they call it the Molly Brown.

So what's the deal with WDW's boat? Have they just thrown in the towel on nomenclature? Sure seems like it. :rolleyes:

In other news, I'm so glad my long-time psychotic issues of counting rides in a never ending Anaheim Vs. Orlando tally has spread to other nice folks here. Welcome to my world!

With Toy Story Land adding two new rides to WDW four months ago, and A Bug's Land and it's four rides closing at Disneyland two months ago and now behind Stark Industries construction walls, WDW has pulled even in the ride tally at 52 rides on each coast. Here's where things will go over the next few years with officially announced rides under construction and/or strong rumors backed up by trusted insiders...

Disneyland Resort = 55 Rides (Star Wars Ride #1, Star Wars Ride #2, Inside Out Spinner)
WDW Resort = 55 Rides (Mickey's Runaway Railway, Star Wars Ride #1, Star Wars Ride #2)

Disneyland Resort = 56 Rides (Marvel Land Ride #1)
WDW Resort = 55 Rides

Disneyland Resort = 57 Rides (Marvel Land Ride #2)
WDW Resort = 58 Rides (Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron)

Disneyland Resort = 58 Rides (Mickey's Runaway Railway)
WDW Resort = 59 Rides (Mary Poppins)
You can bump Ratatouille up a year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disneyland Resort = 58 Rides (Mickey's Runaway Railway)
WDW Resort = 59 Rides (Mary Poppins)

Well, if we count the monorail for each, then we should count the Skyliner, no? :) +1 WDW

And WDW should be getting a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape. +1 WDW

As far as rumored rides, technically, Mary Poppins is one of them. But you count her anyway. Other rumored rides:
  • DL's Fantasyland Theater becomes some E-Ticket. +1 DLR
  • Brazil (or India) Pavilion getting an E-Ticket, 2 rides occupying Wonders of Life, 2 rides for an Indy mini-land: +5 WDW
With all the coming and rumored attractions...

7eqjYMx.png

fradz

Well, if we count the monorail for each, then we should count the Skyliner, no? :) +1 WDW

And WDW should be getting a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape. +1 WDW

As far as rumored rides, technically, Mary Poppins is one of them. But you count her anyway. Other rumored rides:
  • DL's Fantasyland Theater becomes some E-Ticket. +1 DLR
  • Brazil (or India) Pavilion getting an E-Ticket, 2 rides occupying Wonders of Life, 2 rides for an Indy mini-land: +5 WDW
With all the coming and rumored attractions...

7eqjYMx.png
Always love your work and graphics. If you would ever have some time for that, could you add the other resorts? Always nice to have a giant comparison between all :) .

Driver

I think that would make sense now, but I noticed that from the attached 1976 park map, the attraction was called "Liberty Square Riverboats", plural. A little research and something mentioned earlier in the thread points out that there used to be two boats, the Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard F. Irvine, so I think "Liberty Square Riverboats" makes sense in that context, right?

Perhaps a bit more research will show exactly when the renaming happened after the Joe Fowler was "retired"*. :cry: Or perhaps the cast members in charge of naming are eternally optimistic? Note: Apparently, the Richard F. Irvine was renamed to the Liberty Belle in 1996, well after the attraction was renamed from the plural to the singular.

But as you said, there's no reason the attraction couldn't be renamed again to Liberty Belle Riverboat.

* [Yes, I'm a big fan of Blade Runner]
"Fowler" and " Irvine" are the current names of two of the ferry boats from TTC to MK the third one is "Potter".
Potter has two stacks the others only have one each

FerretAfros

So, why was the monorail once an E-Ticket?
The Monorail at Disneyland was once an E-ticket attraction, because it is an attraction within the park. Park admission is required and its listed on the park maps as an attraction (similar to the Railroad or Friendship Boats). A couple years after opening it was expanded to include a station at the Disneyland Hotel, but it has always required park admission (and an additional attraction ticket in its early days) to ride. Yes, it has multiple stations, but it's a real stretch to claim that it's really a "transportation" option; it's almost always faster to walk than to ride.

The monorail in Walt Disney World has always been part of the transportation system entirely separate from park attractions. In the early days it required a Transportation ticket to ride, which was distinct from park admission or the attraction tickets that were used within MK. If WDW's system is being counted, then you should also include the various buses, boats, and parking lot trams (and future Skyliner), but that's all a real stretch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The monorail in Walt Disney World has always been part of the transportation system entirely separate from park attractions. In the early days it required a Transportation ticket to ride, which was distinct from park admission or the attraction tickets that were used within MK. If WDW's system is being counted, then you should also include the various buses, boats, and parking lot trams (and future Skyliner), but that's all a real stretch.

I'm gonna count golf carts, segues, bikes, and horse rentals now!!

;)

Last edited:

Disneyrailfan1996

I'm gonna count golf cart, seques, bike, and horse rentals now!!

;)
I’m not sure about you, but to add to that I think the Joe Potter Ferry could be an E-Ticket occasionally when they do the fireworks desert party on there–they tour part of bay lake and the seven seas lagoon, take you for a somewhat up close look at the water parade (I forgot what it was called), then park and let you watch the fireworks. The Animal Kingdom boats could count too. they’re still around, but they’re actually more reserved for a pirates-themed (not POTC, but I think more of Peter Pan) fireworks viewing party. No idea what they’re like, but I have seen them in person and know of them thanks to a Disney transport trading card (I should have it somewhere) and Wikipedia.

Driver

So, why was the monorail once an E-Ticket?
As you knew E tickets were phased out. And the transportation dept went through many changes till it evolved into what it is now. So as an example when busses came on the scene in the mid 70's they were not part of transportation, they were part of parking. And they only serviced one route. Which still exist today and with much controversy, it is called the "green" route . It serves MK to Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge out of load zone #2 at MK. In 1980 busses became part of transportation and the dept. expanded into what it is now including Minnie Vans and soon Gondolas. We are preparing for CM hiring for that soon. What makes boats, busses and the monorail transportation is the fact that they transport guest from parks to resorts and do not enter any parks. That's what makes them different from an attraction. Attractions are for amusement but stay in their designated park . Hope that helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom