Let's talk baseball

KevGuy

Hey until 2004 the Red Soxhad you all beat for futility!! I can still remember the night the ball went through Buckners legs and that wasn't even te cause of the loss just the icing on the cake!!! But it is sweet to see the Sox with best record in baseball even despite the 14-0 loss to Atlanta tonight with one of our call ups from the minors starting for us. Even sweeter is seeing the stankees getting whipped in NY by the Mets!! :ROFLOL:

dopey

Hey until 2004 the Red Soxhad you all beat for futility!! I can still remember the night the ball went through Buckners legs and that wasn't even te cause of the loss just the icing on the cake!!! But it is sweet to see the Sox with best record in baseball even despite the 14-0 loss to Atlanta tonight with one of our call ups from the minors starting for us. Even sweeter is seeing the stankees getting whipped in NY by the Mets!! :ROFLOL:

Buckner = former Cub. The stink of Cubbiness lingers long after they leave.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster

Dude - dopey's sentiments concerning the Cubbies futility are correct. Even before 2004,2005 the Cubs had both Sox beaten for futility. The Cubs last WS championship was 1908. It was 1917 for the White Sox and 1918 for the Red Sox. That is why the entire city of Chicago and much of the midwest which is emotionally tied to one of the two Chicago teams was even more annoyed by the over the top Red Sox hype that followed their WS championsip than the rest of the country. But, I will admit if the Cubs were to win the WS because of the sheer size of their far-flung fan base non-Cubs fans will be doing this :brick: as Ron Santo appears on TV four months later for his 348th puff piece on how overjoyed he is that the Cubs won it all.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Buckner = former Cub. The stink of Cubbiness lingers long after they leave.

The sad thing is Buckner was a really good player. Without him the Red Sox are not even in a position to experience the heartbreak.

SpongeScott

Dude - dopey's sentiments concerning the Cubbies futility are correct. Even before 2004,2005 the Cubs had both Sox beaten for futility. The Cubs last WS championship was 1908. It was 1917 for the White Sox and 1918 for the Red Sox. That is why the entire city of Chicago and much of the midwest which is emotionally tied to one of the two Chicago teams was even more annoyed by the over the top Red Sox hype that followed their WS championsip than the rest of the country. But, I will admit if the Cubs were to win the WS because of the sheer size of their far-flung fan base non-Cubs fans will be doing this :brick: as Ron Santo appears on TV four months later for his 348th puff piece on how overjoyed he is that the Cubs won it all.
But the city of Chicago could never fall back on the curse of the Bambino. That's a lot more romantic that the curse of the goat.

magicfan

After every start like today's I say he's off my team but every time I somehow convince myself he'll come around, know what I mean?

SpongeScott

Yea he was killing me too so i dropped him

I recommend picking up someone like Shields from Tampa or Carmona from Cleveland... 2 VERY underrated talents
I've got them both. :D

After every start like today's I say he's off my team but every time I somehow convince myself he'll come around, know what I mean?
I've got Z-brano too. :( He's got too much potential to cut loose. He turns it around, someone else picks him up, and you're the fool for the rest of the season.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've got Z-brano too. :( He's got too much potential to cut loose. He turns it around, someone else picks him up, and you're the fool for the rest of the season.

He'll be OK. His last start (before today) was good. It was very cold in Wrigley today, and he doesn't do as well in the cold. Overall though, he's very lucky to be 4-4. He's actually the only Cubs starter to consistently recieve run support.

dopey

But the city of Chicago could never fall back on the curse of the Bambino. That's a lot more romantic that the curse of the goat.

You guys are arguing over who's the bigger loser, the Cubs or Red Sox. :hammer: Uh, congratulations to the Cubs. I guess.

JML42691

You guys are arguing over who's the bigger loser, the Cubs or Red Sox. :hammer: Uh, congratulations to the Cubs. I guess.
Well, if it is means any point, the Sox are no longer the biggest loser and have the best record in baseball (okay, I had to say it), but personally as a Red Sox fan: yes we did have one of the worst no-championship-series streaks ever, but I felt it more as a thing between the Red Sox and the Yankees instead of a streak that I would compare to with the entire league. But that is just my thought on the subject and I am certain that other Sox fans would have to disagree with me.

dopey

Well, if it is means any point, the Sox are no longer the biggest loser and have the best record in baseball (okay, I had to say it), but personally as a Red Sox fan: yes we did have one of the worst no-championship-series streaks ever, but I felt it more as a thing between the Red Sox and the Yankees instead of a streak that I would compare to with the entire league. But that is just my thought on the subject and I am certain that other Sox fans would have to disagree with me.

As was previously pointed out, the Red Sox were never the biggest losers. But if it makes you feel better to claim that your team sucked more than any other team in the past century, go nuts. I guess it's that whole East Coast bias. We're just flyover country here in this big ol' cow town we call Chicago.

KevGuy

Well don't worry the Red Sox will be in contention for the title this year again, good luck with Lou Pinella see how far that gets ya lol!!:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom