Let's be honest...is Carousel of Progress going to last the next five years?

What will happen with Carousel of Progress in the next five years?

• Nothing will happen for the foreseeable future, except for the occasional hand falling off

Votes: 195 75.6%
  • It will remain Carousel of Progress, but it will be heavily modified to reflect DEI

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • It will become "Carousel of Some IP" i.e: a look at the Incredibles home life or some other property

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and the real estate will be used for something else that is announced at that time

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and sit shuttered for at least three more years before something is decided

Votes: 31 12.0%

• Total voters

celluloid

If Tomorrowland had something to help absorb people right now(and possibly still needing one after the influx of Tron) I don't think it would even exist.

Sadly. They have gone too far to show that they care about any sort of update. It would have been updated by now and this is the longest any version of the show has gone on by decades.

Diamond Dot

True. Though this really gives Disney an opportunity if they want to go all-out with this.

They could even include Hanks' character David S. Pumpkins during the Halloween/Fall scene of the show.
View attachment 643323
That is my all time favourite SNL skit.

I just want them to update the last scene, that's all that's needed. I also want to know why they took down George O'Brien's photo off Patty's room in the 1920's section. He's one of my favourite silent actors.

celluloid

That is my all time favourite SNL skit.

I just want them to update the last scene, that's all that's needed. I also want to know why they took down George O'Brien's photo off Patty's room in the 1920's section. He's one of my favourite silent actors.

The thing is, with the cost of redoing the last scene, you would get more mileage out of an entire update. You can update things visually but the recorded lines and animations are set until changed.

I am glad Gene Shepard was a part of it all, but I would love an entire revamp to help the entire show lift up.

imagineer97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm not voting because the options are pretty pointed at what you want the answer to be. If you don't like CoP I get it, but they already announced it was getting updated eventually with Tom Hanks.
Things aren't always what they seem. I'm a huge fan of CoP, and I would hate any of the other options besides the first one. I never want the ride to change. I don't want Tom Hanks, I'm president of the Jean Shepard fan club! I wrote the poll questions to be somewhat sarcastic/comedic. But all I wanted to do was start a conversation, which is what has occurred! :)

It pains me to see it, but this seems like it's going to be on the chopping block under the current status of TWDC.

Goofyernmost

CoP may mean nothing to some, but to others. like myself, it had significant importance. First visit, the song was "Best years of our lives". It really was for me the absolute best time career wise and family wise. My young girls memorized it with one showing and we sang it all the way back to Vermont, much to the upset of my wife. The second was many years after. My girls had grown and married, my wife had left me and I was solo sitting on a bench in MK feeling sorry for myself then trying to snap out of my self imposed pity party, I decided to go to CoP. The new song was "Beautiful Tomorrow". Something about that at that particular time all of a sudden made me decide to stop the foul mood and start to make some changes in direction as soon as I got home and it changed everything. Did it really fix things? Probably not, but looking ahead instead of past and current will always be something I connect with it.

The solution is, if anyone doesn't like it or find it boring, it is so simple to just walk past the entrance and then it can stay for those of us that have enjoyed it for almost 40 years.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If this question were asked 20 years ago I would have said no since it was on the chocking block.

However I am delighted that in the past 10 years I've seen the theater 2/3 full more often than not. A few times I've seen it packed.

BalooChicago

At a minimum the last scene should be less 1993 forward looking, and just historical.

1900-1910, 1930-1940 1960-1970, 1990-2000 would work great.

Hadn’t heard Hanks. Always thought Selleck had the voice for it.

Would really like them to add scenes at the opening and/or closing even if they were brief. Maybe just John talking about the progress made since 2000 (which seems like yesterday to fewer of us each year) so it’s easy to keep current.

thomas998

They'll likely close it and use the space for some merchandise stand. or over priced quick serve option. Why in the world would they care about the past when there will clearly be some self-righteous idiot babbling about how it represents white male oppression and therefore must be closed... it won't matter if they have a billion people protesting the closure because everyone knows that Disney never listens to actual customers anymore only to a couple of twitter users that would know Mickey Mouse if you shoved him up their backside.

Prince-1

They'll likely close it and use the space for some merchandise stand. or over priced quick serve option. Why in the world would they care about the past when there will clearly be some self-righteous idiot babbling about how it represents white male oppression and therefore must be closed... it won't matter if they have a billion people protesting the closure because everyone knows that Disney never listens to actual customers anymore only to a couple of twitter users that would know Mickey Mouse if you shoved him up their backside.

You must be fun at parties.

AndyS2992

I can see Disney closing CoP but they keep the building spinning but paint different coloured instagramable walls on the outside and call it ‘Walt Disney’s Carousel of Color’ so people can stand in front and take pictures as the background changes whilst World of Color’s ‘The World is a Carousel of Colour!’ Lyrics play on loop 😂

JIMINYCR

I’m hoping it never goes away but who knows what Dis will do. Nothing is completely safe from the chopping block. We’ve seen many fan favs go bye bye despite the love we have for them. Walt’s not around to keep it safe and the new group only cares about putting in things that will draw crowds. So if the space can be used for the next new thing, we will be hoping to ride it one last time.
I always thought Splash was eternally placed because of the popularity and enjoyment it delivered despite the occasional vocal non guests who said it was racist.

Cmdr_Crimson

They should move it to EPCOT, placed at the American Adventure Pavilion.
We had the sequel to the attraction and look what happened..
Horizons_Full_782.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom