Let's be honest...is Carousel of Progress going to last the next five years?

What will happen with Carousel of Progress in the next five years?

• Nothing will happen for the foreseeable future, except for the occasional hand falling off

Votes: 195 75.6%
  • It will remain Carousel of Progress, but it will be heavily modified to reflect DEI

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • It will become "Carousel of Some IP" i.e: a look at the Incredibles home life or some other property

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and the real estate will be used for something else that is announced at that time

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • It will close and sit shuttered for at least three more years before something is decided

Votes: 31 12.0%

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

We had the sequel to the attraction and look what happened..
Horizons_Full_782.jpg
What in the hell is that??

James.Green

I hope not. It represents the Disney that was more than just an amusement park, but something like a worlds fair. A place to learn, see new products and ideas, step into faraway lands, all while having fun. But current management seems to disagree with me. They seem to think the vision of the parks should be to sell subscriptions, perks, and merchandise. Parks still seem packed so I guess I can’t disagree.

Disstevefan1

Please don’t talk about COP going away!

If i were in charge, any technology that needed updating would get it, the animatronics would get updated to reflect a more inclusive world and only the last scene would get updated to reflect the latest tech and I guess (sigh) get rid of any references to holidays.

That said, the above would cost money so it’s doubtful anything will happen.

What would kill COP would be an attack by the Twitter mob an the volume of the attack on Splash mountain; If that were to happen, COP would “close indefinitely for extensive renovations” and never reopen.

Just what we need, to lose a nice indoor, seated, air conditioned attraction that is one of the easiest to actually get into.

We can’t have that! Yup, definitely a goner….

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

At a minimum the last scene should be less 1993 forward looking, and just historical.

1900-1910, 1930-1940 1960-1970, 1990-2000 would work great.

Hadn’t heard Hanks. Always thought Selleck had the voice for it.

Would really like them to add scenes at the opening and/or closing even if they were brief. Maybe just John talking about the progress made since 2000 (which seems like yesterday to fewer of us each year) so it’s easy to keep
At a minimum the last scene should be less 1993 forward looking, and just historical.

1900-1910, 1930-1940 1960-1970, 1990-2000 would work great.

Hadn’t heard Hanks. Always thought Selleck had the voice for it.

Would really like them to add scenes at the opening and/or closing even if they were brief. Maybe just John talking about the progress made since 2000 (which seems like yesterday to fewer of us each year) so it’s easy to keep current.
If I had a choice, JS would remain as the voice of CoP…Tom Hanks, ok, but don’t we hear enough of him in Buzz right across from CoP and TSL?
I never thought about Tom Selleck (my DW would LOVE it), but with Disney’s views and Selleck’s conservative leanings, I don’t think he would ever consider it, but yes, he does have the voice for it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Tom Hanks, ok, but don’t we hear enough of him in Buzz right across from CoP and TSL?
First off...It's Tim Allen or one of the secondary actors voicing Buzz...

Secondly, When they go for Anything with Woody...They do not go to Tom..they Go to his brother Jim Hanks who has been voicing him for the parks and products...

NickMaio

The ride/show was never meant to be exciting.......It was meant to teach people some history while being entertaining.
Think of all the things people have learned from this show about our past as Westerners.
I adore this show and hope they make some changes but leave the core purpose alone.
We don't need to trash all of the educational facets in WDW - - that is one of the main reasons I fell in love with WDW as a child.
It was so different from the other crummy parks where I live.

Smiley/OCD

First off...It's Tim Allen or one of the secondary actors voicing Buzz...

Secondly, When they go for Anything with Woody...They do not go to Tom..they Go to his brother Jim Hanks who has been voicing him for the parks and products...

You’re right…senior moment…wrong TS character…

Oddysey

I guess it is but it defies all gravity to be standing that tall and scrunched up. I'll just take everyone's word for it. either way it is gone.

In fairness, when I first looked at the photo I thought it might have been altered because it doesn’t look like any demo job I have ever seen. That said, I do not know for sure if it is a real photo or an altered one.

As you said, the one thing we can be sure of, is that it is gone.

Walt Disney1955

I can remember my brother in law about 20 years ago going to Magic Kingdom and when I asked him if he did CoP he said he did, but that there was someone handing out surveys asking if Disney ought to keep the show.

So there has been a long standing debate about this, and that's unfortunate. Because it ought to stay. It is a small piece of Walt Disney that is left in the park. And the show is still lovely. That's the thing about the old attractions Walt did, they were different.

Kirby86

I see it being like the rest of the park attractions and the company letting it limp along. It's a crowd eater in a part of the park that dosen't have a lot of high capacity attractions so I don't think they're going to close it. Also the reimagine tomorrow thing had a bunch of artist do covers of It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and recently Park commercials were using the song too. So at the very least that Sherman Brothers song will stay around if they close the ride.

Goofyernmost

I see it being like the rest of the park attractions and the company letting it limp along. It's a crowd eater in a part of the park that dosen't have a lot of high capacity attractions so I don't think they're going to close it. Also the reimagine tomorrow thing had a bunch of artist do covers of It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and recently Park commercials were using the song too. So at the very least that Sherman Brothers song will stay around if they close the ride.
But without that show GBBT will not really be nostalgically relatable. One goes with the other. Even when I hear "Now is the best time" in the background my mind immediately jumps to CoP.

RoyWalley

Its not going anywhere. Yes it can use some updates, but hopefully it stays forever as it is one of Walt's creations. Below is from the Disney website:

A Classic Walt Disney Attraction​

Walt Disney originally conceived the show as part of a new area at Disneyland Park called Edison Square. When the concept was abandoned, the idea was reimagined, eventually opening under the name “Progressland” at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.
With the classic song "There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” by the Academy Award®-winning team of brothers Richard and Robert Sherman, the show was an instant hit. Following its success, the show moved to Disneyland Park and was renamed “The Carousel of Progress.”
In 1975, the attraction moved to Magic Kingdom park where it was rewritten and restaged with a new theme song, “The Best Time of Your Life.”
In the true spirit of progress, the show was reworked in 1994 to its initial incarnation with the original theme song intact—as a tribute to nostalgia.

Kirby86

But without that show GBBT will not really be nostalgically relatable. One goes with the other. Even when I hear "Now is the best time" in the background my mind immediately jumps to CoP.
I agree I love the Carasoul of Progress and i think it should be an untouchable attraction with it being the only attraction in WDW that Walt himself worked on. I'm just saying worse case scenario GBBT will still have a place somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom