Lessons learned: who not to vacation with

Hello boys and girls!

Figured I'd give you a little insight into my recent experience travelling with friends.

We spent a week in a two queen room with plenty of space for the four of us, and I ended up wanting to pull my hair out in frustration at the other couple. Me and the wife generally enjoy a leisurely, but vigorous paced trip in Disney.

This other couple pressed their way into us standing about waiting for them to take pics with characters. Now I can condone short lines and waiting for kids to get their autograph books signed and pictures taken, because they're kids and this is their theme park. But I can't really justify standing in a 45 minute line to have friends our age take pics.

5 minutes? Sure. 10? Okay, whatever. 15? You're pushing it. 20+? Now you're encroaching on my vacation and removing from me the ability to wait in a 20 minute ride line.

Maybe I'm just talking out of annoyance, but I'm going to definately pay more careful attention and select more mature people to vacation with in the future. Or maybe people with kids so I can enjoy standing in line for characters a little more.

s.ollie

When I'm travelling with a big group family/friends i usually find myself saying ''I'm going to take a walk over here..... by myself.... for a little while.... don't follow me'' every now and then :hammer:

sometimes you just need to run away... very fast :p

Or im the boss and everyone has to do what i want to do. :king:

Upvote 0

LyssaPooh

2006 was our nightmare trip with another couple. Hubby and I shared a room at POFQ - horrible nightmare. The woman of the other couple needed every little thing, every day to focus on her and her needs, wants, etc. She would accuse the rest of us of "ruining" her trip, etc. Yikes. However, we have another friend, who is single, that we share rooms with and we have never had any trouble - always been a great time. The key to this success is that my hubby and I have our way of doing Disney (just like a previous poster stated) and our friend has his way - and it works because we know that the three of us do not have to do everything together. We discuss before we go what we really want to do together (the three of us) and then we agree that sometimes we'll just be off on our own. Hubby and I are DVC members and we take a slower pace (plus hubby loves stopping to take pictures) while our friend likes commando-style. I believe that discussing expectations ahead of time, and realizing that not every moment needs to be spent together, can make traveling with others a success.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

:fork:BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!! Let me tell you of our HORROR STORY....this was back in 2002....

We were in a department store and saw my sister's Ex's cousin who we were still friends with. My nephew just made a mention, a MENTION that we were getting things for our upcoming trip to WDW ...next thing we know...she is calling us asking how much it would be for her and her daughter (a year older than nephew) and daughter's friend to go with us! My sister figured it up and told her, thinking she would say oh, nevermind! well, she didnt!!! At this point, we didnt really think that much about it other than the gall of her inviting herself along....there were already 7 of us going..I told her she would have to come up with her own transportation since my brand new van would be full.....no problem she says!!!! ...well....come to a couple of weeks to go....i'm talking mere 2-3 weeks...our house catches fire! TOTAL LOSS! So, trip already paid for, no way I'm cancelling it now!!!! Stayed with aunt/uncle who were going on trip with us and then morning of departure.....we tell cousin we're not leaving til midnight (coming from La. we stop in pensacola for the night)...they show up at 1100pm all hyped up and ready...we're still half asleep and not really ready to walk out the door.....then come to find out, she wrote all over the windows of my BRAND NEW MINIVAN, that "WE"RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!"....I was TICKED off beyond belief! i was out washing off my windows at midnight! I told her, first off, you don't ADVERTISE to everyone you pass that you are going to WDW! Just begging to be mugged or robbed! 2nd, that it was a BRAND NEW vehicle!!!! then we get to Pensacola......get up again at midnight to leave, she can't find her car keys! we told them to pack a separate bag just for the stayover, but NO....they bring in every piece of luggage they had......UNPACKED all of it, still no key!!!! said she had already checked the clothes she had on the day before...no key! Come to find out, it was not a set of keys on a key ring,...it was just a KEY! A KEY! no ring, nothing! 2 hours later, she decides she will call the nearest dealer to bring her a match....that we should go on and she would catch up with us...this was 3 am by this time~!!!! so we just left her there!!!! she called after the guy finally got there with the key, it was 6am, by that time.....but be damned if she didnt catch up to us, pass us, and then had to slow down to get back behind us! THEN, we get into Orlando, stopped at an Eckerd's drug store so she could get something, I really can't remember why we stopped,.....she left the girls in her car and she jumped out to "run" in leaving the "key" in the car. we all just stayed in the van while she "ran" in....not seeing that the girls jumped out and ran in after her......well...guess what.........THEY LOCKED THE KEY UP IN THE CAR!!!!! BY THIS TIME, I HAVE HAD IT. My sister knew I was TICKED! I could literally see the top of the TOT!!! we were that close~!!!!! Thankfully, this very nice man had pulled in and when he came out and saw her trying to get her door unlocked, he helped. he got it open for her!
We finally get to CSR and checked in......we told them our itinerary and that every morning, we would leave for breakfast by 730....well, that never worked for them, so we finally just did the old "ditch" and told them we would be here and meet up...which i think only worked 1 time the whole week we were there!!!!!! I learned then and there...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!:fork:

oh yeah....about mid way through the week, she FOUND the original key she had lost....in the pocket of the pants she was wearing when we left for the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fork:

Upvote 0

Victor

It's so tough to call sometimes. In February, my fiance and I went with my cousin and his girlfriend. I was extremely excited since they hadn't been in ages. While they had fun, they were somewhat of party poopers. They tired easily (which they shouldn't since we're all in our mid to late twenties) and didn't care to go back out to the parks late at night.

Then in late March, my fiance's uncle, aunt, and cousin were coming down from Philly. I was NOT looking forward to it. But it ended up being awesome. They were game for anything and let me do all the guiding. Maybe they were being nice because I got them some discounts and entry...but regardless, they had a blast!

So you just never know. It's all comes down to a mix of crowds, weather, and personalities.

Upvote 0

Raven66

My mom is very difficult to go to the parks with. She's not a rider but expects everyone to go to shows or whatever on HER schedule which doesn't accom. anyone else's desires. She is very controlling. She also is very whiny. We are Floridians, born and raised, but she'll complain about the heat, walking, whatever. lol. She's also diabetic but never eats the way a db should at home. Yet, when we are at the parks, she wants to eat every hour and if we say no, she pulls the db card. My dad, on the other hand, is a rider and very laid back. So we deal with her so he can be included.

Oh my gosh, are we related??:lol: I love my mother to the ends of the earth and back but she was just stepping on my last nerve. The time they joined us they were living in FL. They moved to MO recently. Anyway, it was my sister, dad and mom. They came for the day at MK. She did ok with rides but she is not a good walker. Before she was diagnosed with diabetes she has permanent numbness in her one of her legs ( I forget the scientific name for it) but she complained alot and also that she was hungry but didn't want to spend the money at Cosmic Ray's. I understand that she gets super crabby and with the low blood sugar she gets sluggish, but gosh mom. Luckily since they moved there is no chance of them going for the day with us!!:D

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We have been to WDW 10 times and have traveled with a wide range of family and friends. Never with anyone as into Disney as us. And out of the 10 trips so far the 2 solo (DH and 2DD and I) have been the best trips. Our trip in 76 days will be 3rd solo and we are looking forward to it. DD's are now 18 & 16 and know the world like the back of their hands and having hubby & wife time again this trip will make it that much more special!!! I have learned if someone wants to join your trip its a much better out come if they only join you for a couple of days instead of the entire trip.

Upvote 0

dizzney

We've brought family a number of times, most recently this past New Year's Eve trip, and we certainly dont feel the need to stay together all the time. When my brother and family came for a week (booked them a studio at BWV on us) we saw them 3-4 times over the week, they toured differently than we did, that was fine. Other times, we've brought cousins who stay with us, Its wahtever works,

Thank goodness we have not had a horror trip, anyone going to Disney knows that we usually get up early and into the parks, we take a mid day break and then do late afternoon and evening activities. They go with the flow.

If they arent interested in what we are doing, they can do something else, lots to do in Disney. I'm not going to let my vacation be ruined because of someone else!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

A good rule of thumb I use is that we probably are not going to spend every waking moment together. It is our vacation, we want and need alone time. You should have simply said..."Text me when you guys are done getting stuff signed and we will meet up" or you could have taken the KTW card and gotten fast passes or something? You do need to be careful who you go with though. I learned that the hard way myself one year...

Thats the best answer.

I have been to WDW with my now-ex in-laws. We had the same understanding. We left for the parks together (most days) but if someone wanted to sleep in, or head back to the resorts to take a break (my ex-MIL was in a wheelchair most days, as parts of her knee were missing) nobody took any offenses. It was just "OK, we will catch up with you later"

I have also gone with 5 other people, all friends, some married, some brother and sister (but no brothers married to sisters). And it was the same deal. If anybody had the desire to do something different, no problem. Call or text when you are done.

I have a trip in October in a 2BR DVC unit with me, my brother and his wife, thier two kids, and another married couple (from the above trip). We have allready planned some stuff. Some dinners together, some other things where the group will split up. I'll be running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon by myself the second night down there. I am sure I'll be taking it easy by myself that day. Nobody will be offended.

-dave

Upvote 0

mp2bill

It goes to show good communication before arriving is important. Make sure you know their likes and dislikes and compare. Just because you share a room, doesn't mean you have to spend every second with them. I would have moved on and let them stand in line. It was important to them but not so much you.

Too true. It sounds as though nobody let the other couple know how they like to tour WDW. A simple, "I don't like waiting for character meet and greets," while casually talking about WDW before the trip might have solved that particular problem.

My wife and I went with my cousin and her husband last year and with the exception of not everybody enjoying the same rides, things went pretty swimmingly. But at those points, we just each did what we wanted to and met up later.

Upvote 0

mp2bill

:fork:BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!! Let me tell you of our HORROR STORY....this was back in 2002....

We were in a department store and saw my sister's Ex's cousin who we were still friends with. My nephew just made a mention, a MENTION that we were getting things for our upcoming trip to WDW ...next thing we know...she is calling us asking how much it would be for her and her daughter (a year older than nephew) and daughter's friend to go with us! My sister figured it up and told her, thinking she would say oh, nevermind! well, she didnt!!! At this point, we didnt really think that much about it other than the gall of her inviting herself along....there were already 7 of us going..I told her she would have to come up with her own transportation since my brand new van would be full.....no problem she says!!!! ...well....come to a couple of weeks to go....i'm talking mere 2-3 weeks...our house catches fire! TOTAL LOSS! So, trip already paid for, no way I'm cancelling it now!!!! Stayed with aunt/uncle who were going on trip with us and then morning of departure.....we tell cousin we're not leaving til midnight (coming from La. we stop in pensacola for the night)...they show up at 1100pm all hyped up and ready...we're still half asleep and not really ready to walk out the door.....then come to find out, she wrote all over the windows of my BRAND NEW MINIVAN, that "WE"RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!"....I was TICKED off beyond belief! i was out washing off my windows at midnight! I told her, first off, you don't ADVERTISE to everyone you pass that you are going to WDW! Just begging to be mugged or robbed! 2nd, that it was a BRAND NEW vehicle!!!! then we get to Pensacola......get up again at midnight to leave, she can't find her car keys! we told them to pack a separate bag just for the stayover, but NO....they bring in every piece of luggage they had......UNPACKED all of it, still no key!!!! said she had already checked the clothes she had on the day before...no key! Come to find out, it was not a set of keys on a key ring,...it was just a KEY! A KEY! no ring, nothing! 2 hours later, she decides she will call the nearest dealer to bring her a match....that we should go on and she would catch up with us...this was 3 am by this time~!!!! so we just left her there!!!! she called after the guy finally got there with the key, it was 6am, by that time.....but be damned if she didnt catch up to us, pass us, and then had to slow down to get back behind us! THEN, we get into Orlando, stopped at an Eckerd's drug store so she could get something, I really can't remember why we stopped,.....she left the girls in her car and she jumped out to "run" in leaving the "key" in the car. we all just stayed in the van while she "ran" in....not seeing that the girls jumped out and ran in after her......well...guess what.........THEY LOCKED THE KEY UP IN THE CAR!!!!! BY THIS TIME, I HAVE HAD IT. My sister knew I was TICKED! I could literally see the top of the TOT!!! we were that close~!!!!! Thankfully, this very nice man had pulled in and when he came out and saw her trying to get her door unlocked, he helped. he got it open for her!
We finally get to CSR and checked in......we told them our itinerary and that every morning, we would leave for breakfast by 730....well, that never worked for them, so we finally just did the old "ditch" and told them we would be here and meet up...which i think only worked 1 time the whole week we were there!!!!!! I learned then and there...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!:fork:

oh yeah....about mid way through the week, she FOUND the original key she had lost....in the pocket of the pants she was wearing when we left for the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fork:

SUX! :hammer:

Upvote 0

fosse76

Hello boys and girls!

Figured I'd give you a little insight into my recent experience travelling with friends.

We spent a week in a two queen room with plenty of space for the four of us, and I ended up wanting to pull my hair out in frustration at the other couple. Me and the wife generally enjoy a leisurely, but vigorous paced trip in Disney.

Mistake number one: couples should NEVER share a hotel room on vacation. Rent a house together? Yes. Rent a suite with separate sleeping areas? Yes. One little room with two beds? NO!!!

This other couple pressed their way into us standing about waiting for them to take pics with characters. Now I can condone short lines and waiting for kids to get their autograph books signed and pictures taken, because they're kids and this is their theme park. But I can't really justify standing in a 45 minute line to have friends our age take pics.

5 minutes? Sure. 10? Okay, whatever. 15? You're pushing it. 20+? Now you're encroaching on my vacation and removing from me the ability to wait in a 20 minute ride line.

That's you, though. It's their vacation too. You should have left them and met them later if that's not what you wanted to do. But to implicate that it was childish of them to want these pictures with characters, who are you to judge? Isn't that the point of Disney? They thought it was worht a 45 minute wait. Therefore, it was worth 45 minutes.

Maybe I'm just talking out of annoyance, but I'm going to definately pay more careful attention and select more mature people to vacation with in the future. Or maybe people with kids so I can enjoy standing in line for characters a little more.

This is where you've lost me. I don't take pictures with characters nor do I think standing in line to take one is worth the time either...but calling a couple immature because that's what they wanted to do is ridiculous, considering where you are vacationing.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

This is where you've lost me. I don't take pictures with characters nor do I think standing in line to take one is worth the time either...but calling a couple immature because that's what they wanted to do is ridiculous, considering where you are vacationing.

I have to agree with you on this. I get not wanting to waste 45 minutes on meet and greets. However, the OPs response to the situation seems rather immature to me. It seems to me like a lack of communication was really the down fall of this trip.

Upvote 0

Lucky

I wouldn't recommend sharing a room with another couple, unless they are such close friends/relatives that you know exactly what you're getting into.

And it's too much to be joined at the hip all day touring the parks. Split up occasionally to do things one couple likes but the other doesn't.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

After the second time of my friends doing this, I would have told them that they are free to go and do this, but you would rather be riding rides or visiting attractions - basically that you have different priorities when visiting the parks.

This way you can go separate ways and meet up later.

Upvote 0

fosse76

After the second time of my friends doing this, I would have told them that they are free to go and do this, but you would rather be riding rides or visiting attractions - basically that you have different priorities when visiting the parks.

This way you can go separate ways and meet up later.

Exactly...and if that experience is the worst that happened, then they got off very lucky. I went with my ex (he wasn't my ex at the time), and the whole trip was agonizing. He was mildly annoying, but tolerable, up until our Magic Kingdom day. This was only my second time visiting WDW. He complained all morning about the Magic Kingdom. We started at Space Mountain and by the time we worked our way to Peter Pan he was on my last nerve. He refused to get in line, so I did. An hour later he was nowhere to be found, so while waiting from him to return a text from me I decided to visit the Haunted Mansion. Turns out he went back to the hotel! I was irritated, but I wasn't about to leave, so I spent the rest of the dau at the Magic Kingdom by myself. But to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Before that incident, I would never visit a theme park alone. Now, I don't think I could ever have anyone with me! I can visit WDW whenever I want and not have to plan around other people's schedules (money notwithstanding, of course)!

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Sorry but I feel vacation is for the DWF and I and immediate family our kids and no one else. This is time for me and the Mrs to unwind, cut loose have fun and be a kid our selves. Vacation only comes for us once and if were lucky twice a year. The DWF and I enjoy our time together alone or as a family unit and both wouldn't have it any other way. No Way in hell would I share a room with another couple. What about intamcy or stupid stories and games with the kids that we all have a ball with. Maybe I am selfish or ignorant here, but a vacation is to just get away from it all an relax. Lastly not to mention I can not picture another couple intefering with our vacation agenda and dining plans. That has to be god awful.
Fosse76, that had to su_k. I do not see how any one could go to Disney and act like that. There is way to much to do and see and no time for frowns, hissy fits and so on unless it is from a little one that is in need of nap time or too hot.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Folk that dont get a round in, those that wear green n grey hooped shirts (not that I know any), people who sleep late, teetotallers, sun bed dwellers, and anyone uncomfortable wearing a Goofy hat

Upvote 0

GHOST1000

had a similar experience in that me and my 2 children went down to spend a long weekend at the parks/water parks. i had invited an older widowed friend we hadn't seen in a while to meet us( she lived about an hour away by tampa) so instead of driving back at night she kinda hinted she wished she could stay instead of driving back that night, so i had said we could get a rollaway cott in the room for the night. Mistake! I had been awakened about 4times during the night by snoring....not just light snoring by the way. so thinking it was my son snoring i started throwing pillows at him during the course of this...which did not wake him up....only to find out later on it was the guest....never again.

Upvote 0

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Thats the best answer.

I have been to WDW with my now-ex in-laws. We had the same understanding. We left for the parks together (most days) but if someone wanted to sleep in, or head back to the resorts to take a break (my ex-MIL was in a wheelchair most days, as parts of her knee were missing) nobody took any offenses. It was just "OK, we will catch up with you later"

I have also gone with 5 other people, all friends, some married, some brother and sister (but no brothers married to sisters). And it was the same deal. If anybody had the desire to do something different, no problem. Call or text when you are done.

I have a trip in October in a 2BR DVC unit with me, my brother and his wife, thier two kids, and another married couple (from the above trip). We have allready planned some stuff. Some dinners together, some other things where the group will split up. I'll be running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon by myself the second night down there. I am sure I'll be taking it easy by myself that day. Nobody will be offended.

-dave

That is it...that is the way to do it with groups...Everyone just needs to understand that you need some alone time with your "other" or just yourself. As long as that is understood by everyone...great times should follow!

Upvote 0

CrazyaboutGoofy

Every time we go to WDW, my mom goes with us. Last year, my husband wanted to ask his parents if they would like to go. Thinking they would say no, they surprised us and my mother-in-law decided to go. We planned to go the last week in August for 10 days. Well, I should have known that there was going to be a problem, since those dates did not work for my mother-in-law. So, we went a week earlier than what we wanted. Everyday, she would go to the bathroom before she left the room, then again after breakfast, and then again once we got to the parks. This continued throughout the day. There were times she would just leave us to find a restroom and never told anyone where she was going. I think we spent more time waiting for her in the restroom and/or looking for her (she rode an ECV) than enjoying the attractions. When we got back home, my father-in-law asked my kids (7 & 5) how was WDW? My son, then 7, said "Pop-pop we know where all the bathrooms are at in Disney." :lol:

We are planning to go back to WDW this November. We are not telling anyone in my husband's family that we are going until a couple of weeks before we leave.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom