Lessons learned: who not to vacation with

Hello boys and girls!

Figured I'd give you a little insight into my recent experience travelling with friends.

We spent a week in a two queen room with plenty of space for the four of us, and I ended up wanting to pull my hair out in frustration at the other couple. Me and the wife generally enjoy a leisurely, but vigorous paced trip in Disney.

This other couple pressed their way into us standing about waiting for them to take pics with characters. Now I can condone short lines and waiting for kids to get their autograph books signed and pictures taken, because they're kids and this is their theme park. But I can't really justify standing in a 45 minute line to have friends our age take pics.

5 minutes? Sure. 10? Okay, whatever. 15? You're pushing it. 20+? Now you're encroaching on my vacation and removing from me the ability to wait in a 20 minute ride line.

Maybe I'm just talking out of annoyance, but I'm going to definately pay more careful attention and select more mature people to vacation with in the future. Or maybe people with kids so I can enjoy standing in line for characters a little more.

mp2bill

Exactly...and if that experience is the worst that happened, then they got off very lucky. I went with my ex (he wasn't my ex at the time), and the whole trip was agonizing. He was mildly annoying, but tolerable, up until our Magic Kingdom day. This was only my second time visiting WDW. He complained all morning about the Magic Kingdom. We started at Space Mountain and by the time we worked our way to Peter Pan he was on my last nerve. He refused to get in line, so I did. An hour later he was nowhere to be found, so while waiting from him to return a text from me I decided to visit the Haunted Mansion. Turns out he went back to the hotel! I was irritated, but I wasn't about to leave, so I spent the rest of the dau at the Magic Kingdom by myself. But to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Before that incident, I would never visit a theme park alone. Now, I don't think I could ever have anyone with me! I can visit WDW whenever I want and not have to plan around other people's schedules (money notwithstanding, of course)!

Be honest, that's why he's your ex now.

Upvote 0

draybook

Don't tell anyone that you're even going on vacation. Then when you get back you can say, "oh man, it was fun at WDW, you should have been there!"

Upvote 0

Raven66

Every time we go to WDW, my mom goes with us. Last year, my husband wanted to ask his parents if they would like to go. Thinking they would say no, they surprised us and my mother-in-law decided to go. We planned to go the last week in August for 10 days. Well, I should have known that there was going to be a problem, since those dates did not work for my mother-in-law. So, we went a week earlier than what we wanted. Everyday, she would go to the bathroom before she left the room, then again after breakfast, and then again once we got to the parks. This continued throughout the day. There were times she would just leave us to find a restroom and never told anyone where she was going. I think we spent more time waiting for her in the restroom and/or looking for her (she rode an ECV) than enjoying the attractions. When we got back home, my father-in-law asked my kids (7 & 5) how was WDW? My son, then 7, said "Pop-pop we know where all the bathrooms are at in Disney." :lol:

We are planning to go back to WDW this November. We are not telling anyone in my husband's family that we are going until a couple of weeks before we leave.

I would wait a couple of days before you go. A couple of weeks still gives them time to plan. :lol:

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Ugh- so I think my nightmare is becoming a reality with this. The other night, my dad told us that while they're excited to see us, they're really not all that excited to go to Disney. :cry: We have about 6 mos until trip time, so I decided it's best to give them an out. They have a bad case of FL-Resident-Anti-Disney-Itis and they keep griping about how they could go on a weeklong cruise for less than what they're paying for 3 nts. I'm suggesting they cxl their Disney plans and visit us at home at a different time. Hopefully I didn't just start a war. :(

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I went to Disney 3x with friends. In 1996 I went away with a great friend and returned home not having said friend anymore...haven't spoken since.

In 2007 my hubby and older son and I went to Disney with my hub's brother and 2 kids....haven't spoken to them since.

Yes, choose who you vacation with wisely. I'm not concerned about the r4ude friend but my hubby's brother...very sad about. We have tried since to be the bigger people but he won't budge....even though it was he who caused the problem.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Ugh- so I think my nightmare is becoming a reality with this. The other night, my dad told us that while they're excited to see us, they're really not all that excited to go to Disney. :cry: We have about 6 mos until trip time, so I decided it's best to give them an out. They have a bad case of FL-Resident-Anti-Disney-Itis and they keep griping about how they could go on a weeklong cruise for less than what they're paying for 3 nts. I'm suggesting they cxl their Disney plans and visit us at home at a different time. Hopefully I didn't just start a war. :(

You are absolutely doing the right thing by "encouraging" them to visit with you another time in another place. You already know going into this vacation that they are "planning" on not having a good time. There is no sense in all of you having a miserable time. The sooner you make other arrangements, the better you will feel about this.

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

I was pleasantly surprised at how well a group of 19/20 year olds gelled. Our trip was a month ago, and we stayed at Pop then did the basic Category 12 Stateroom on the Wonder, and little problems with personal space. With the exception of one of us walking faster while on the parks ('rushing' the first timers) we made out extraordinarily well. I think that it really all depends on how in tune you are with the other members. I know, for example, that if I went with my boyfriend I'd be foregoing all but the 'necessary' characters (Mickey, Minnie, etc) because he would be a pain in the rear end about it! Hahaa.

Upvote 0

fosse76

Fosse76, that had to su_k. I do not see how any one could go to Disney and act like that. There is way to much to do and see and no time for frowns, hissy fits and so on unless it is from a little one that is in need of nap time or too hot.

It was annoying. It would have been better with a 3 year old! When it came time to eat, he would only want soemthing that was along the lines of a McDonald's cheeseburger. Now, I'm a finicky eater myself, but there is usually something I can find on a menu that I will eat. But he wasn't having none of that! We spent a good hour just trying to find a place where he would eat something! Our last day there was the best, though. He went to DHS and I spent the day at DAK!

Upvote 0

OklaHoops

A lot of interesting stories. Well we are the family that goes a 100mph through the parks so we can enjoy as much as we can every single day. We went with one family that we thought could keep up with us but alas they were worn out after 2 days. The best part was we went separately for the 3rd day and met up for meals. After that everything went smoothly. Everyone has their own pace and it is best each to their own.:animwink:

Upvote 0

fosse76

A lot of interesting stories. Well we are the family that goes a 100mph through the parks so we can enjoy as much as we can every single day. We went with one family that we thought could keep up with us but alas they were worn out after 2 days. The best part was we went separately for the 3rd day and met up for meals. After that everything went smoothly. Everyone has their own pace and it is best each to their own.:animwink:

Definitely splitting up is the best way to go. My touring depends solely on my mood...Just two weeks ago I took a bus to the Magic Kingdom, got off, decided I didn't want to be there, so took the monorail to the TTC and took a bus to DHS. Didn't take in a single show the whole trip, simply because it was hot, crowded and I didn't feel like seeing the shows I've seen dozens of times before. If I'd been with other people, I'm sure there would have been a lot of arguing.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

I can see how you were frustrated and sometimes it is even more difficult when it is friends. We just returned from a wonderful stay at WDL Villas and were a group of six adults and one 5 year old. We had three first-timers, one birthday celebration, 3 anniversaries, one tree nut allergy, one gluten-free and no dairy, plus one who is terrified of the characters. Needless to say it was a challenge to plan a trip that would meet everyone's expectations but it worked. My basic rule was that no one had to do anything or participate in any activities that they did not want to do (that included visiting the parks or meeting characters). It would be harder to do this with friends versus family.

I am hoping it was the 5 year old who is terrified of the characters...:lol:

Upvote 0

kerrie

im sorry you had this experiance and It also is hitting home right now as im going on vaction with inlaws WHO ARE GREAT and we have vacationed before but a friend and their family is also joining us and shes making an itinerary(this scares me) so hopefully i wont feel the way you did on your vaction

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom