Less Immersion Improves Galaxy's Edge

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Haunt I know it’s not going to sway you but on the Falcon, halfway back from the cockpit there is a large flat circle. It is very obvious that this is the point of entry based on how you enter the cockpit from the chess room if you apply logic. I also don’t think it takes much imagination to accept this as a cargo bay door. It’s really not that bad.
my problem with that is that it should not be implied. it should be shown to the guests as the turn the corner. they should have a 2nd falcon facade, and not even a full one, just build that one side and have it so you can see at least the jetway attached to it and to me that would have been better than what they have now. i could at least respect that on some level because it is shown visually but as it stands they transition to the falcon from the Hondo room is handled so poorly. we see a cartoony fake falcon show up on a screen then we turn a corner and suddenly we are on the falcon. it feels like from the videos you are not in the falcon out front but in a show building. it is very lazy

TROR

I'll agree that guests should've been able to walk up the Falcon's ramp but only if the Falcon wasn't a ride. If the Falcon was just a walk through attraction I think it'd be better.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'll agree that guests should've been able to walk up the Falcon's ramp but only if the Falcon wasn't a ride. If the Falcon was just a walk through attraction I think it'd be better.
Now this I’ll agree with you on. Had Falcon been a walk thru then it’d make perfect sense to walk up the ramp.

As for whether it’d make a better attraction, I don’t know, hopefully fingers crossed I’ll find out next weekend.

TROR

Now this I’ll agree with you on. Had Falcon been a walk thru then it’d make perfect sense to walk up the ramp.

As for whether it’d make a better attraction, I don’t know, hopefully fingers crossed I’ll find out next weekend.
The biggest praise I've seen for the attraction is how it makes guests feel like they're in the Falcon and not the ride experience itself. If that's the highest praise, then a walkthrough would've been just as sufficient. Then they could have the X-Wing coaster behind the Falcon, bringing in more to see and do in a land desperate of real attractions. I'll find out tomorrow on how the Falcon ride is.

George Lucas on a Bench

I expected more fun Star Warsian characters. I found none aside from Hondo. He's really only in that preshow room where it's like, finally, a little heart and soul in this land. Cool character. That line oddly had audio of people speaking on the PA system as though things are happening around you but it seemed like they cheaped out on robots. So it's just an empty room. Star Tours has actual characters, why not MF?

The robot of the guy who looks like The Fly was neat, but it just wasn't a character as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't do anything but sit behind the desk. Remember those little trolls in Diagon Alley? Again, Universal bests Disney. What is going on here?

The other character appearances were human cast members just being Disney cast members (Not very Star Wars) and the recycled Tomorrowland meet and greet characters.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah I agree with George on a bench. I was like.... I want to go through the Star Tours q just to see characters that make me smile and laugh.

Walking into California Adventure the entrance feels Alive because of atmosphere entertainers, characters and live music. I sorta expected at least that level of atmosphere.

I’m not a doom and gloomer... I was expecting to be totally blown away. I really want to love it. I love avatar land. I love cars land. Those are franchises that I like less than Star Wars and yet......

Curious Constance

Yeah I agree with George on a bench. I was like.... I want to go through the Star Tours q just to see characters that make me smile and laugh.

Walking into California Adventure the entrance feels Alive because of atmosphere entertainers, characters and live music. I sorta expected at least that level of atmosphere.

I’m not a doom and gloomer... I was expecting to be totally blown away. I really want to love it. I love avatar land. I love cars land. Those are franchises that I like less than Star Wars and yet......

You and everyone else was expecting to be blown away because Disney has been telling us for , what five years now?, that we would be. Then they went on to show us via video and splashy press releases what kind of things we could expect in this experience that would be bigger and better and more immersive than anything we’ve ever experienced before.

And then they decided to cut all of that? I just can’t wrap my head around that. I mean, we can still go find those videos online and remember all the promises they made.

Did they think no one would notice? If you’re hurting for money and have to make cut backs out of necessity to avoid layoffs or closures that’s one thing, but to do it in their current economic standing is cheap and embarrassing. The luke warm response they are getting to the land is every bit deserved in my opinion.

The people making decisions for the theme parks don’t know or care enough about them to make the right sorts of decisions. That’s why they keep making bone headed after bone headed moves. It’s fun in some respects since I don’t agree with basically anything they do anymore, but sad in others. One of my favorite places that holds so many memories and nostalgia for my family and I is systematically being ripped of its charm and uniqueness update by update.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah I totally agree. Maybe I was more skeptical of Avatar and so that’s why it impressed me? Maybe it’s the Joe Rhode touch? Maybe James Cameron got involved? Idk. But yeah for all these years it’s been “just wait we are gonna blow you away” and it’s all just..... ok a life size model is supposed to blow me away?

The good news is... this expansion didn’t cost us much charm from the original park. Maybe they will see the error before they wreck the rest of the park? I hope.

George Lucas on a Bench

Maybe I was more skeptical of Avatar and so that’s why it impressed me? Maybe it’s the Joe Rhode touch? Maybe James Cameron got involved?

Yes, that's it exactly. Cameron's a known control freak who gets exactly what he wants. No doubt he made sure Pandora delivered rather than allowing the "Disney bean counters" (copyright Disney internet culture) to cut all the cool features, boat ride etc. Similar to J.K. Rowling and Universal Studios.

With Galaxy Edge, it doesn't seem there was anyone in charge concerned with that sort of thing, all the features were cut and the land is more of a Star Wars shopping mall than anything, not really representing the franchise that inspired it well and certainly not drawing crowds.

A lot of people are clinging to a supposed "Phase 2" where all the missing features suddenly appear and Rise of the Resistance opens and is an instant classic Stacey must-do on the level of Pirates of the Caribbean with waits just to get into the land like the ones Disney themselves created but seem entirely unnecessary now, but considering what we've seen so far, it's not seeming very likely.

TalkingHead

Yeah I totally agree. Maybe I was more skeptical of Avatar and so that’s why it impressed me? Maybe it’s the Joe Rhode touch? Maybe James Cameron got involved? Idk. But yeah for all these years it’s been “just wait we are gonna blow you away” and it’s all just..... ok a life size model is supposed to blow me away?

The good news is... this expansion didn’t cost us much charm from the original park. Maybe they will see the error before they wreck the rest of the park? I hope.

See, the comments about Galaxy Edge feeling lifeless remind me a lot of Pandora.

Outside of the rides, there’s just not a lot to see there. There aren’t characters or entertainers to add atmosphere, and there’s really not that much area to roam around.

I think it might be more noticeable in Galaxy Edge since the funky alien characters are such a big part of the Star Wars universe. I’m surprised they didn’t include more simple alien AAs all over the place to give it added atmosphere.

TROR

You could definitely climb up this ramp

TrainsOfDisney

See, the comments about Galaxy Edge feeling lifeless remind me a lot of Pandora.

Outside of the rides, there’s just not a lot to see there. There aren’t characters or entertainers to add atmosphere, and there’s really not that much area to roam around.

I think it might be more noticeable in Galaxy Edge since the funky alien characters are such a big part of the Star Wars universe. I’m surprised they didn’t include more simple alien AAs all over the place to give it added atmosphere.

Pandora oozes atmosphere compared to galaxies edge. The mountains, the waterfall, the plants.... actually you think they could of copied and pasted some of those alien plant things.... at least they are something. Ha.

And when pandora opened they had the drummers and the walk around guy in the hydraulic suit. That’s something at least.

SuddenStorm

It was explained in this post. The droids were cut due to puppeteer union costs.

Is this not something they had calculated prior to announcing the land?

Yes, that's it exactly. Cameron's a known control freak who gets exactly what he wants. No doubt he made sure Pandora delivered rather than allowing the "Disney bean counters" (copyright Disney internet culture) to cut all the cool features, boat ride etc. Similar to J.K. Rowling and Universal Studios.

With Galaxy Edge, it doesn't seem there was anyone in charge concerned with that sort of thing, all the features were cut and the land is more of a Star Wars shopping mall than anything, not really representing the franchise that inspired it well and certainly not drawing crowds.

A lot of people are clinging to a supposed "Phase 2" where all the missing features suddenly appear and Rise of the Resistance opens and is an instant classic Stacey must-do on the level of Pirates of the Caribbean with waits just to get into the land like the ones Disney themselves created but seem entirely unnecessary now, but considering what we've seen so far, it's not seeming very likely.

I have several of the most successful movies ever made, of course I get what I want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom