Less Immersion Improves Galaxy's Edge

RobWDW1971

And I still laugh at WDI smoking their own dope about SWGE being so "immersive" and a "whole new kind of theme park experience" - so far the Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton from 20 years ago blows them out of the water. But then again, that didn't feature union merch employees "acting". So immersive!

planodisney

The biggest praise I've seen for the attraction is how it makes guests feel like they're in the Falcon and not the ride experience itself. If that's the highest praise, then a walkthrough would've been just as sufficient. Then they could have the X-Wing coaster behind the Falcon, bringing in more to see and do in a land desperate of real attractions. I'll find out tomorrow on how the Falcon ride is.
Gosh I can’t imagine what your review will be!!
We just never know what side of the fence you’re going to come down on. 😊
Seriously though, hope you enjoy!!

shortstop

Immersion destroyed! What a joke!

George Lucas on a Bench

Immersive has become an overused buzz word that is really toxic to the theme park industry. The idea seems to be that people want to pretend they're in a fantasy world and that they're somehow taking the experience to a new level in this day and age. The thing is, no one ever really believes in a fake setting in a theme park. I mean, not halfway normal people. Most people are just there to go on fun rides.

What immersive means for Galaxy Edge is an interesting case study. It seems they took certain immersive creative choices too far and skimped on others, or didn't bother at all. For instance...

Most of the signs are in a foreign language so I didn't know what building was what: they have Star Trek sliding doors that also threw me off because it looked like the places were just closed; the bathrooms are made to look "alien" AKA like a gross depressing prison bathroom with circus music playing; cast members have to stay in character and speak like weirdos.

All that stuff is completely unnecessary. It's like that one weird person that takes everything way too far and spoils other people's fun.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that what the halfway normal people came expecting was more rides, aliens and robots like you would find in Star Wars and as seen in artist renderings and Star Tours for over 30 years. Not static props parked everywhere that, at most, make a sound effect and light up while doing nothing and feeling like they're fake props.

Not a derelict facility in a canyon that is so detailed and immersive and we're having fun because it's so detailed and immersive. I don't have fun for those reasons alone. I don't want to be in a canyon with aged buildings if there's nothing actually fun to do in it.

TrainsOfDisney

When i was walking out of Star Wars land yesterday (which is what everybody calls it) - I saw the Mark Twain Steam by and I heard a live band playing in New Orleans. See... THAT is an immersive experience. If the boat was just parked with some fake steam sound effects, and there was the faint sound of a jazz band playing in a bar that you have to reserve at 7 am it really wouldn’t be the same would it?

And now I’m thinking of lucky the dinosaur and muppet mobile labs and how that could have been implimented into this alien planet.

Also... I’m a very casual Star Wars fan, I want to see Darth Vader and R2D2 and Yoda. Is that really a hard concept for a ceo to grasp?

TROR

At first, I hated this video because of the nerd host stumbling over his words. But it quickly snuck up on me with its brilliance and I realized this perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with Galaxy Edge immersion and just how lame it is. No need for any more SW land "Look at me" vlogs, folks. We can officially close the book.

When I was in the cantina some loser nerd was running around taking video of everyone and everything. I just looked at some stranger at my table and we scoffed at him.

DrAlice

At first, I hated this video because of the nerd host stumbling over his words. But it quickly snuck up on me with its brilliance and I realized this perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with Galaxy Edge immersion and just how lame it is. No need for any more SW land "Look at me" vlogs, folks. We can officially close the book.

I get your point, but this is just his shtick. He posted a video of himself building a light saber during the media preview event and it is the same geeky goofiness. He ends the video with him playing jedi with his new blade and fake-trips down some stairs. My daughter and I cracked up. *shrug* What can I say? We're easily entertained. :)

rk03221

Disney seems to be taking the universal model which is “this is cool now but 10 years from now are we going to do with it?”. Disney has handled the Star Wars brand the worst way possible. First, giving the gaming rights to EA, they’ve only made 2 “copy and paste” crappy games in the last 5 years. I remember when I was a kid in the early 2000s there were TONS of great SW games. Then there’s the awful movies they’ve made. I’m not a die hard sw fan, but I love Star Wars. The new movies are so bad I have zero reason to want to go to GE. Just my opinion. I really hope that Marvel land won’t be a flop and they do it right.

TROR

Disney seems to be taking the universal model which is “this is cool now but 10 years from now *** are we going to do with it?”. Disney has handled the Star Wars brand the worst way possible. First, giving the gaming rights to EA, they’ve only made 2 “copy and paste” crappy games in the last 5 years. I remember when I was a kid in the early 2000s there were TONS of great SW games. Then there’s the awful movies they’ve made. I’m not a die hard sw fan, but I love Star Wars. The new movies are so bad I have zero reason to want to go to GE. Just my opinion. I really hope that Marvel land won’t be a flop and they do it right.
Don't hold your breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom