Len Testa Crowd Analysis

Rodan75

Reduction of longterm costs is “growth” by today’s standards...when it used to show recognition of a lack expansion/profit potential.

Jack Welch theory

Nearly everything Jack Welch advocated has fallen out of favor at most Companies at this point. Replaced by newer and equally lame philosophies. Gotta love reductive management cults.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nearly everything Jack Welch advocated has fallen out of favor at most Companies at this point. Replaced by newer and equally lame philosophies. Gotta love reductive management cults.

The point is: it’s all risky because it devalues a product.
It’s amazing how that’s considered “sound management” by internet wonks when it’s risky as hell...

Luckily, no large American companies have fallen...definitely not recently😉

Disorbust

I think the financial decisions are made without any thought to what they are doing to their brand. The one and done vacationers will not grow their future business. Their kids will not return on a regular bases with their children. Plus, add that people are having less kids and mellianials are looking for a diferent vacation experiences, a perfect storm is developing IMHO.

Rodan75

The point is: it’s all risky because it devalues a product.
It’s amazing how that’s considered “sound management” by internet wonks when it’s risky as hell...

Luckily, no large American companies have fallen...definitely not recently😉

I agree, to an extent. I think Disney overall is fine, but WDW is really in a precarious position right now. They need to pull some load off of MK, they are trying to add premium experiences to limit the impact to their highest spenders, but you can't put them completely in a bubble. MK is a miserable (or at least non-magical) place at least half the year, that will begin chipping away at its success and hurt the nostalgia visits for the next generation. (I think we are all surprised it hasn't been hurt already).

@ParentsOf4 called out this endgame a few years ago, WDW needs to have a serious and significant capacity focus that goes far beyond what is currently under construction today.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So after all is said and done, should I still try to sneak in a trip in early February? I see 1's through 5's but after looking after what happened this year (touring plans and others being WAY off) should I risk it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So after all is said and done, should I still try to sneak in a trip in early February? I see 1's through 5's but after looking after what happened this year (touring plans and others being WAY off) should I risk it?

I think you’re overthinking this...if you want to go, go...if not don’t.

I wouldn’t get in the habit of planning based on touring plans. WDW will never be the place to “pound rides”

That’s not what it was designed to do.

MickeyMinnieMom

You are just spouting your usual lunacy.

Companies need to have an organizational structure that maximizes efficiency and minimizes waste. Make more with what we have is a laudable goal for operational efficiency. Where it turns negative is when you run too lean and as a result, in this case, the guest experience suffers greatly.

Efficiency is a good thing, Happy guests are a good thing, happy stock holders are a good thing. They all mesh and must be balanced to ensure the TWDC can continue to deliver a competitive product. And as much as you like to rant about how awful it is now, just remember 10-15 years ago what it was like and see where things have come since then. And I hardly consider myself a pixie duster.
Agreed. The funny thing to me is how the demise of Disney (& Parks specifically) for reasons cited here and others was predicted on boards like this 14yrs ago when I started following. In some cases by the same people... for 14+years and running in some cases... I guess it’s a slow-acting demise...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. The funny thing to me is how the demise of Disney (& Parks specifically) for reasons cited here and others was predicted on boards like this 14yrs ago when I started following. In some cases by the same people... for 14+years and running in some cases... I guess it’s a slow-acting demise...

Funny how it takes time to knock the pilings from under the pier.

I’ll miss you and the other Econ 001 fans when the next recession strangles bob’s luxury parks...
...hiding in the weeds as always.

There’s a short term and a long term view...always has been with parks.

If you rob Peter...Paul always gets you back

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

It shouldn't have to be a demise at all. In the 2000's things got bad very fast. Right now things are flat or going bad less quickly. For a company like TWDC operating the premier parks and resorts in all of the world, this should never be the case. If all your goal as a division is just to meet quarterly projections and not grow your brand, you will never be the top of anything.

MickeyMinnieMom

It shouldn't have to be a demise at all. In the 2000's things got bad very fast. Right now things are flat or going bad less quickly. For a company like TWDC operating the premier parks and resorts in all of the world, this should never be the case. If all your goal as a division is just to meet quarterly projections and not grow your brand, you will never be the top of anything.
I don’t think it’s in demise at all — others seem to on boards like this — despite long positive trends in results. I don’t think things are flat. That ignores all of the current and planned building and activity (and financial results over time). People love to say that all Disney execs are doing is watching their quarterly projections. If they were ONLY doing that, we wouldn’t have the planned and in-progress additions or long term results we can all observe.

People have their pet topics and pet peeves about everything. This is a big one on boards with some of the most vocal posters. Doesn’t make it accurate.

Tony the Tigger

You don’t understand - it’s an upward demise. 🤪

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I don’t think it’s in demise at all — others seem to on boards like this — despite long positive trends in results. I don’t think things are flat. That ignores all of the current and planned building and activity (and financial results over time). People love to say that all Disney execs are doing is watching their quarterly projections. If they were ONLY doing that, we wouldn’t have the planned and in-progress additions or long term results we can all observe.

People have their pet topics and pet peeves about everything. This is a big one on boards with some of the most vocal posters. Doesn’t make it accurate.

It’s not all doom and gloom. There have been some good things done. But conversely, if you think that fancy cupcake parties, parking fees, increased upcharge events, entertainment cuts, parade cuts, and operating hour cuts are positive things, then perhaps your priorities are just different.

But if you think things are going well for TDO perhaps sluggish attendance (in a very good economic environment) for the past couple of months says otherwise. Perhaps they reached a tipping point with guests?

MickeyMinnieMom

It’s not all doom and gloom. There have been some good things done. But conversely, if you think that fancy cupcake parties, parking fees, increased upcharge events, entertainment cuts, parade cuts, and operating hour cuts are positive things, then perhaps your priorities are just different.

- fancy cupcake parties: LIKE THEM!
- parking fees: Meh. Not a make or break either way — I suspect it isn’t for vast majority.
- increased upcharge events: BIG FAN!
- entertainment cuts: mostly seasonal when forecasts are down — not nearly as dramatic as some posts suggest
- parade cuts: I hate all parades EXCEPT MNSSHP, MVMCP, and MK nighttime parades (miss those!); but I do like that they eat up crowds
- operating hour cuts: HATE this. But it ebbs and flows. It’s not a steady downward slide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom