LED Lights

Tom

Beta Return
Over Memorial Day weekend I was at the Magic Kingdom and noticed that the Crystal Palace was a lot brighter! When I got closer I noticed that the Christmas lights along the roof were now LED. Is Disney replacing the lights throughout the parks?

It would be great if they were, since they'd almost never have to replace them.

cspencer96

You mean the trim lights? It would be wonderful if all the trims on Main Street went LED. No more widespread burn outs! Do Grand Floridian while you are at it...
Some small strips on Main Street are LED, or at least it looked that way in May. All of Crystal Palace is, and portions near Casey's.

articos

Do they look good?

There is a certain magic to that incandescent glow, especially on turn of the century Main St., that an LED light can't reproduce.
I think they're pretty decent. You're right, and it took a while to get the color temp right, as well as get reliability. The products are pretty good now. They still do go out, but it's much better than it was a few years ago. They are a bit brighter, so that may take some getting used to. But Grand Floridian will finally eventually look the way she's supposed to again. And I'm all for having more reliable lighting in the parks and esp on Main Street, considering the amount of time it takes to get things fixed sometimes. They have been doing a great job the past year or so of keeping Main Street looking good, though.

MerlinTheGoat

Hopefully they accelerate the replacement of the old lights with new LED's. The sooner the better as far as i'm concerned. We've gotten to a point where that tech is very much a suitable replacement for incandescent lighting. And thankfully it doesn't require the same amount of maintenance as old lights, Disney has developed an awful track record in regards to replacing broken lights in any sort of timely manner (stark contrast to the 90's and prior where they had dedicated lightbulb night crews that replaced any defective ones on sight AND any still working ones that had reached 80% of their lifespan).

Do they look good?

There is a certain magic to that incandescent glow, especially on turn of the century Main St., that an LED light can't reproduce.
It depends on what kind of bulb Disney has gone with for this. But there now exist LED bulbs that easily match old school incandescent bulbs, particularly nostalgic clear popcorn lights complete with the familiar yellow-orange glow. Panasonic made some of these new kinds of LED bulbs and they refitted all the lights in a Prague castle to show their quality off. Wish it was easier to find similar quality LED bulbs where I live (though the options are slowly improving). If Disney used something similar for Main Street then it should absolutely look fantastic (and given their horrid track record with lightbulb maintenance, this will ensure lights don't break as quickly or easily as before excepting defects)-
01_LED_EU-thumb-628x420-196905.jpg

A few years ago the popcorn lights along the roof of the Mad Tea Party were also replaced with LED's that had a similar color and glow that also looked quite good (though slightly less impressive than Panasonic's when viewed up close). Don't know how well they're holding up these days (or if the new Main Street ones are of the same variety), but that was back in 2011 I believe. Here were some pictures from a Micechat update-
P1190731-1.jpg

P1190720-1.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I noticed a couple of months ago that the lights in the ferry station (at least the MK side) were the CREE Bulb.

LEDs have come a long way and are much more pleasing than compact fluorescent bulbs but I have yet to see one that truly replicates incandescent. The ones that get close are ridiculously expensive.

DisneyCane

The lights that encircle the skylights at the TTC have also been replaced. I expected them to be brighter, but they actually still have the same yellow glow. They look great.

No reason for them to be brighter. The goal of LED lights is to produce the same amount of light as the incandescent it is replacing but use a lot less electricity to generate it. A 65 watt LED light could put out probably 6000 lumens vs a 65 watt incandescent putting out 800-850. The goal is to put out 800-850 using 10-12 watts.

articos

The lights that encircle the skylights at the TTC have also been replaced. I expected them to be brighter, but they actually still have the same yellow glow. They look great.
Forgot about the TTC's lights, but considering how often they were out and looked really bad, this is very, very good.

GrumpyFan

The changeover to LED and/or more efficient lighting resort-wide has been in progress for several years.
We first noticed LEDs starting to appear in various places as far as 2-3 years ago on the ferry boats. I'm sure they've been watching and waiting for just the right color of lights to become available before they replaced them. As others have said, the standard LEDs just don't provide the same warm glow as the old-style incandescent. But, the technology has changed quickly and now offers a lot more choices than before.

articos

I want to say it was close to 4 or 5 months ago they were changed.
Thought you meant it had been 4-5 months there had been lights out. Yes, they tested LEDs at TTC a while ago. I don't believe the full changeover there is done yet, although I may be wrong. Not sure. If it is, hallelujah.

articos

The changeover to LED and/or more efficient lighting resort-wide has been in progress for several years.
We first noticed LEDs starting to appear in various places as far as 2-3 years ago on the ferry boats. I'm sure they've been watching and waiting for just the right color of lights to become available before they replaced them. As others have said, the standard LEDs just don't provide the same warm glow as the old-style incandescent. But, the technology has changed quickly and now offers a lot more choices than before.
That's right. It's taken a while to get the technology to the point where it was the right look, plus had reliability. The products are out there now, though, including the warm amber.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom