LED Lights

ToTBellHop

what you are thinking about it the uplighting, i think OP wants twinklers draped on the alucabond... even though it gets so hot up there that they would likely melt the wire jackets to the panels...
Anyone know why SSE lost its changing colors? Maybe the Millennium Wand? Seems like it's been about 15 years now.

GrumpyFan

Anyone know why SSE lost its changing colors? Maybe the Millennium Wand? Seems like it's been about 15 years now.
Not sure what you're referring to.
As of just over a month ago, there was still various colored lighting on SSE. It's grainy, but see a pic I took May 16, 2014.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 70

FerretAfros

To my knowledge, SSE has never had any lighting scheme other than the current one. It has multiple colors on it at the same time, but never changes colors like the castle has for the last ~10 years (which I've always found a little tacky)

When building SSE, they realized that it would be impossible to fully illuminate the top of the sphere without building enormous mast arms for the lights, which would ruin the view. To counteract that, they came up with the multi-colored scheme inspired by a Florida sunset, with warm oranges on the bottom fading to deep purples and eventually darkness. It's a clever and effective way to sidestep the limitations of physics, and nobody would ever imagine that it was anything other than what they always wanted

Here's a shot of it with the old sculpture in the entrance fountain. The colors appear slightly different due to the capabilities of film vs digital photography, but the effect is the same:
tumblr_m13i5sAz7k1r6ob9go1_500.jpg

CDavid

Can we not have THIS discussion AGAIN?!?!
I think we all know the answer is "Yes, they COULD take it out and replace the technology with LED", but they're not.
It's a dead (obsolete) horse, at least to Disney! Besides, I thought I read a long while back that the frames had been sent to recycling.

Assuming that's true, it would still probably be easier to build new frames than changing out the old bulb technology would have been, so that's really no excuse. While there is absolutely no harm in the occasional comment(s) lamenting the Light's demise and pondering what could have been, you are correct in that we have no reason to believe a Lights of Winter rebuild has even occurred to anyone outside of these forums, and little reason at this time to reopen the discussion.

y2k1258

Original Poster
They are somewhat more efficient than CFL. The standard "60 watt" Cree bulb (with a CRI about the same as a CFL) uses 9.5 watts (84 lumens per watt). A Home Depot "Ecosmart" CFL "60 watt" puts out 900 lumens and uses 14 watts (65 lumens per watt). So they are about 30% more efficient. Of course the LED costs about $9.47 and the CFL about $1.50 in a multi pack. It will take over 5000 hours to pay off the difference. For WDW, they will get the payback in under a year because they are on so much. With average home use it will take a little under 5 years.

What I'm waiting for is for the high CRI LED bulbs to get more efficient and cheaper. The "TW Series" Cree that gets over 90 CRI only gets 59 lumens per watt.

The biggest advantage in a place like WDW to LED bulbs is the life span. Running 24 hours a day they should last around 3 years. If they just budget a rolling "group re-lamp" schedule, theoretically there will never be a bulb out. Of course there will be a few defective bulbs to deal with.
You should hit up ikea for led bulbs! In the Round Rock Tx store the 60 watt replacements cost $5 and run at 6 watts. They also have a better color the cfls I replaced.

bhodge

I agree there's never been color changing light on SSE. The color do slightly shift as you change your view because of the faceted surface. There were color changers on the plexi sculpture who've did look great at night.

DisneyCane

The only way for the existing SSE lighting to change colors would be to have rotating gels in front of the flood lights. As far as I can tell, the lights have been the same since the original installation. They are very narrow beam 1000 watt metal halide flood lights with color gels in front of them.

I'm not sure that LED flood lights with a narrow enough beam exist yet to get the same effect. If the beam is too wide, there won't be any separation between colors.

monorail81

To my knowledge, SSE has never had any lighting scheme other than the current one. It has multiple colors on it at the same time, but never changes colors like the castle has for the last ~10 years (which I've always found a little tacky)

When building SSE, they realized that it would be impossible to fully illuminate the top of the sphere without building enormous mast arms for the lights, which would ruin the view. To counteract that, they came up with the multi-colored scheme inspired by a Florida sunset, with warm oranges on the bottom fading to deep purples and eventually darkness. It's a clever and effective way to sidestep the limitations of physics, and nobody would ever imagine that it was anything other than what they always wanted

Here's a shot of it with the old sculpture in the entrance fountain. The colors appear slightly different due to the capabilities of film vs digital photography, but the effect is the same:
tumblr_m13i5sAz7k1r6ob9go1_500.jpg

Off topic, but I miss that fountain. It was very pretty and had character which the current fountain lacks.

AEfx

Do they look good?

There is a certain magic to that incandescent glow, especially on turn of the century Main St., that an LED light can't reproduce.

LED lights are amazing. I have converted my entire home to them. They sure beat the heck out of halogen - and use less power, to boot. They have none of the drawbacks of halogen (they come on instantly at full power, don't have that strange there but not there quality of light) and they are rated to last decades.

It cost me about $200, but it was well worth it - because like a lot of folks, I had gone back to incandescent because of how poorly halogen lights perform, and the electric savings on top of it has them paying for themselves in a year or two. On top of all that, they generate almost no heat - which also assists in reducing cooling costs, as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom