LED Lights

Figment2005

Thought you meant it had been 4-5 months there had been lights out. Yes, they tested LEDs at TTC a while ago. I don't believe the full changeover there is done yet, although I may be wrong. Not sure. If it is, hallelujah.
Unless they are planning to convert the fluorescent lights to LED I believe the changeover is complete.

seascape

No reason for them to be brighter. The goal of LED lights is to produce the same amount of light as the incandescent it is replacing but use a lot less electricity to generate it. A 65 watt LED light could put out probably 6000 lumens vs a 65 watt incandescent putting out 800-850. The goal is to put out 800-850 using 10-12 watts.
LED lights are the way to go. They are much more efficient the CFL lights and last longer. I think everyone and every company should switch to them for all their lighting needs. This would dramatically reduce their electric demands and carbon foot print and save money.

DisneyCane

LED lights are the way to go. They are much more efficient the CFL lights and last longer. I think everyone and every company should switch to them for all their lighting needs. This would dramatically reduce their electric demands and carbon foot print and save money.

They are somewhat more efficient than CFL. The standard "60 watt" Cree bulb (with a CRI about the same as a CFL) uses 9.5 watts (84 lumens per watt). A Home Depot "Ecosmart" CFL "60 watt" puts out 900 lumens and uses 14 watts (65 lumens per watt). So they are about 30% more efficient. Of course the LED costs about $9.47 and the CFL about $1.50 in a multi pack. It will take over 5000 hours to pay off the difference. For WDW, they will get the payback in under a year because they are on so much. With average home use it will take a little under 5 years.

What I'm waiting for is for the high CRI LED bulbs to get more efficient and cheaper. The "TW Series" Cree that gets over 90 CRI only gets 59 lumens per watt.

The biggest advantage in a place like WDW to LED bulbs is the life span. Running 24 hours a day they should last around 3 years. If they just budget a rolling "group re-lamp" schedule, theoretically there will never be a bulb out. Of course there will be a few defective bulbs to deal with.

ToTBellHop

They are somewhat more efficient than CFL. The standard "60 watt" Cree bulb (with a CRI about the same as a CFL) uses 9.5 watts (84 lumens per watt). A Home Depot "Ecosmart" CFL "60 watt" puts out 900 lumens and uses 14 watts (65 lumens per watt). So they are about 30% more efficient. Of course the LED costs about $9.47 and the CFL about $1.50 in a multi pack. It will take over 5000 hours to pay off the difference. For WDW, they will get the payback in under a year because they are on so much. With average home use it will take a little under 5 years.

What I'm waiting for is for the high CRI LED bulbs to get more efficient and cheaper. The "TW Series" Cree that gets over 90 CRI only gets 59 lumens per watt.

The biggest advantage in a place like WDW to LED bulbs is the life span. Running 24 hours a day they should last around 3 years. If they just budget a rolling "group re-lamp" schedule, theoretically there will never be a bulb out. Of course there will be a few defective bulbs to deal with.
Regarding your last line, they used to have such a schedule. And burnt out lights were rare. And seldom visible for more than one night. I hope the new LEDs are not an excuse for Disney to be even more complacent.

DisneyGentleman

As others have said, the standard LEDs just don't provide the same warm glow as the old-style incandescent. But, the technology has changed quickly and now offers a lot more choices than before.
Just a minor correction - there is no "standard" LED. It's all about getting something called the "color temperature" right. An incandescent bulb is around 2700K. A high quality bulb nails the color, often by mixing colors from individual sources. Im Paradise Pier at DCA, they went with older technology and actually fake the popcorn light color with alternating bulbs. One bulb is more white, and the next is more orange. From a distance it looks quite good. I only noticed it because I was bored waiting for WOC to begin.

Bq6yzKr.jpg

Another effect in cheaper bulbs is color bleaching. Many bulbs get white by placing a fluorescent coating on a blue LED. Some coatings are not stable and drift over time. Pretty soon you have a bunch of bulbs, each with a different version of white.

I bought some 2200K bulbs for my front porch and the effect is very warm and inviting. At first they look pinkish, but when the bulbs burned-in they looked great.

DisneyCane

Many bulbs get white by placing a fluorescent coating on a blue LED. Some coatings are not stable and drift over time.

All white LEDs are created by using some type of phosphor coating over a blue LED. There is no current technology to directly create white light. The warmer white you make it, the less efficient it is. That's why LED street lights have a blue tint to them, it is more energy efficient. Some manufacturers are warming up the color temperature by mixing red (and sometimes yellow) LEDs in with cooler temperature white LEDs to get the better color temperature and higher efficiency.

Matt_Black

The only reason you'd stick with the old lights is that LED lights have a greater chance of getting lots of ice and snow stuck to them in the winter, which is not really a consideration in Walt Disney World.

GrumpyFan

Can they not take this out of mothballs and replace the "obsolete technology" with LED?

Can we not have THIS discussion AGAIN?!?!
I think we all know the answer is "Yes, they COULD take it out and replace the technology with LED", but they're not.
It's a dead (obsolete) horse, at least to Disney! Besides, I thought I read a long while back that the frames had been sent to recycling.

DisneyCane

The only reason you'd stick with the old lights is that LED lights have a greater chance of getting lots of ice and snow stuck to them in the winter, which is not really a consideration in Walt Disney World.

LED bulbs still put off plenty of heat to melt ice and snow. One of the big design considerations with LED is designing the heat sink. Sure they put off a lot less heat than incandescent but since incandescent can severely burn you, a lot less is still plenty of heat to keep ice and snow off.

ABQ

Can we not have THIS discussion AGAIN?!?!
I think we all know the answer is "Yes, they COULD take it out and replace the technology with LED", but they're not.
It's a dead (obsolete) horse, at least to Disney! Besides, I thought I read a long while back that the frames had been sent to recycling.
No need to yell. However, as people had been complaining of dead popcorn lights on the GF and all along Main Street for longer than the Lights of Winter have been removed and now those are being replaced, the question is valid. Now, if it's an absolute certainty that the frames were recycled, so be it. Conversation done.

Matt_Black

LED bulbs still put off plenty of heat to melt ice and snow. One of the big design considerations with LED is designing the heat sink. Sure they put off a lot less heat than incandescent but since incandescent can severely burn you, a lot less is still plenty of heat to keep ice and snow off.

Perhaps. I just remember reading an article about traffic lights that had been replaced with LED lights and that lead to some problems once the snowstorms hit.

GrumpyFan

No need to yell. However, as people had been complaining of dead popcorn lights on the GF and all along Main Street for longer than the Lights of Winter have been removed and now those are being replaced, the question is valid. Now, if it's an absolute certainty that the frames were recycled, so be it. Conversation done.

Capitalizing single words in a sentence doesn't necessarily equate to yelling or shouting. It's when someone capitalizes several words together or an entire sentence.
Regardless, my intent wasn't to yell, I was merely emphasizing my frustrations with re-opening a dead topic.

I think the issue with replacing the popcorn lights with LEDs has been due to the technology and the specific look and color not being quite there until just recently.

ABQ

Perhaps. I just remember reading an article about traffic lights that had been replaced with LED lights and that lead to some problems once the snowstorms hit.
I'm sure that's possible. I think though as was mentioned earlier, you don't have too many snowstorms in central FL. LED in St Paul or Regina, SK would probably not be viable.

Goofnut1980

I think Epcot needs more lighting in general. It doesn't look magical. It looks dark and gloomy at night. They need to get some LED spotlights and light that place up with some color!
Plus that big golf ball needs new LED color-changing lights, like Cindy's crib!

bgraham34

I think Epcot needs more lighting in general. It doesn't look magical. It looks dark and gloomy at night. They need to get some LED spotlights and light that place up with some color!
Plus that big golf ball needs new LED color-changing lights, like Cindy's crib!

I dont agree with that, but thats my opinion. I much prefer the darker appearance in World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom