LDS/ mormon dorms

WDWFigment

Will all those that don't know anything about our religion please stop spouting off "beliefs" and "facts" that you've just heard? And no offense, but I promise you that you don't know more about the LDS religion than I do. I have been living it for 20 years, you have not. It's very simple :animwink:

If you know so much, explain to me why you people still practice polygamy?! Just kidding, I'm not quite that dense. I don't think I want to get into this debate, but I will say, if you want a great show about Mormons (not of the LDS variety--I'm sure they hate the show because of the negative associations and stereotypes) watch Big Love on HBO.

kcw

If you know so much, explain to me why you people still practice polygamy?! Just kidding, I'm not quite that dense. I don't think I want to get into this debate, but I will say, if you want a great show about Mormons (not of the LDS variety--I'm sure they hate the show because of the negative associations and stereotypes) watch Big Love on HBO.

haha well glad you're kidding....but it's sad that some people ARE that dense... as for the show, I've never watched it, but what do you mean Mormons that aren't of the LDS variety? If it's what I think of it (a show that looks at a polygamist family??) then it is the Reorganzied Chuch of Latter Day Saints- which has ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION with the LDS church... Just to clear things up for everybody else! haha I don't believe they have the Mormon nickname though.... and heaven knows I don't want to start anymore confusion on this board!! :lol:

Yellow Shoes

If it's what I think of it (a show that looks at a polygamist family??) then it is the Reorganzied Chuch of Latter Day Saints- which has ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION with the LDS church...

Nope.

The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints church is based in Independence, Missouri.

The split came after Joseph Smith was killed and there was division over who should be the new leader. Joseph Smith's son took one branch and Brigham Young took the other.

After being known as RLDS for many years, they got tired of identifying themselves as what they aren't, i.e. Mormons, that they changed their name.

The RLDS church is now known as the Community of Christ.

Polygamist Mormon sects (members of which are officially excommunicated from the LDS church) are usually known as
Fundamentalist Mormons or Fundamentalist LDS.

wedway71

My brother was engaged to a Mormon from Salt Lake City,Utah. Brother is Jewish and it would have made for one Hell OF A Wedding!!!!:lol:

Imagine .....
Big Love meets Seinfeld.

LAPVLB

well all i know is that i love my mormons :) haha kudos to this community for not starting a flame war. seriously. i've seen many a message board reduced to rubble over these kinds of things.

kcw

Sooooooooooooooooo....(with awkward smile).........has anyone here heard of a place called Disney World?

hahahahaha hey I tried, I tried.......

and in answer to your question, I HAVE! And I get to go back there to work in TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!! If there was a smiley face that was bouncing off of the walls... I'd put it here... but there's not...

primetime52

haha well glad you're kidding....but it's sad that some people ARE that dense... as for the show, I've never watched it, but what do you mean Mormons that aren't of the LDS variety? If it's what I think of it (a show that looks at a polygamist family??) then it is the Reorganzied Chuch of Latter Day Saints- which has ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION with the LDS church... Just to clear things up for everybody else! haha I don't believe they have the Mormon nickname though.... and heaven knows I don't want to start anymore confusion on this board!! :lol:

So, is there any way that I can get one dorm room for myself, with an adjoining room for my seven wives? :animwink:

Personally, I don't see the appeal of polygamy. I get nagged enough by my ONE girlfriend, and my married friends tell me it's only gonna get worse after we tie the knot. I can't imagine how any guys could survive with more than one wife!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Maybe because the definition of Gentiles is "non-Mormon"? :rolleyes:
Laura, love you... however, Mormonism/LDS is Christianity... as completely opposite it may be from Catholicism, Baptism, Church of England, etc.. they still hold the faith in christ at their lord and saviour.

That being said, Gentile is a person who is not jewish or who is Christian. They're Gentiles in my opinion.

Wilt Dasney

Laura, love you... however, Mormonism/LDS is Christianity... as completely opposite it may be from Catholicism, Baptism, Church of England, etc.. they still hold the faith in christ at their lord and saviour.

That being said, Gentile is a person who is not jewish or who is Christian. They're Gentiles in my opinion.

Mormons have themselves adopted the word Gentile to define anyone not of their faith...something I didn't know before reading this thread caused me to do a little research. :lol:

So within the context of Mormonism, that definition is Gentile is appropriate.

kcw

Mormons have themselves adopted the word Gentile to define anyone not of their faith...something I didn't know before reading this thread caused me to do a little research. :lol:

So within the context of Mormonism, that definition is Gentile is appropriate.

uh.... not quite... let me guess, your definition of "research" is a quick search on Google or Wikipedia??? :dazzle: I hate to break it to you, but the internet is not always the most reliable source of accurate information... I know I know, News Flash!! Yes, there is more that goes into the definiton of Gentile when used within the LDS church. But, to keep things simple, like I already posted, there are Jews and there are Gentiles. And members of the LDS church will refer to ourselves as Gentiles, as well as any other church that is not Jew. If we're referring to somebody who is not a member of the LDS church, I wouldn't say, "oh he's a non-gentile..." I mean seriously?!?! No, I would say, "he's not a member"... it's really not that complicated. Why on earth must you guys keep arguing a fact that is already taken care of?? And please for the sake of all that's good, don't believe everything you read on the internet- whether it has to do with religion or not?!?!?! Because heaven knows that will just add to the dumbing down of society...:brick:

sandicinderelli

hey! i just got back from a week long youth activity type thing for church and had a great time. one of our counselors, named Jeffrey, had just gotten back from doing the CP in may. i was sooo excited to talk to him because i'm dying to do the CP! anyway, i asked him a couple questions, and he said that they have special housing for LDS students? does anyone know about this or has anyone stayed there? i'd love any info that anyone can offer! thanks!
~Renee

What you may want to do, Renee, is to set your arrival date as early as possible, get to orientation as early as possible and ask if you can be placed in building 24 or 25 when you get to the housing part of orientation. When I did my CP, I got there the second arrival date, and I got there at 8:00, so I was able to get into Chatham, just like I wanted.

Hope that helps. :)

Wilt Dasney

uh.... not quite... let me guess, your definition of "research" is a quick search on Google or Wikipedia??? :dazzle: I hate to break it to you, but the internet is not always the most reliable source of accurate information... I know I know, News Flash!! Yes, there is more that goes into the definiton of Gentile when used within the LDS church. But, to keep things simple, like I already posted, there are Jews and there are Gentiles. And members of the LDS church will refer to ourselves as Gentiles, as well as any other church that is not Jew. If we're referring to somebody who is not a member of the LDS church, I wouldn't say, "oh he's a non-gentile..." I mean seriously?!?! No, I would say, "he's not a member"... it's really not that complicated. Why on earth must you guys keep arguing a fact that is already taken care of?? And please for the sake of all that's good, don't believe everything you read on the internet- whether it has to do with religion or not?!?!?! Because heaven knows that will just add to the dumbing down of society...:brick:

Yikes...

*pulls back hand*

Wasn't aware I was hitting a nerve there. :wave:

ldsprincess

Original Poster
hey guys, i'm sorry for starting this. I really just wanted a question answered about Disney World and didn't think that a huge discussion about religion would turn out. lol. anyway, if anyone has questions or comments about the church please try to PM me or anyone else. (i'm sure that anyone else here who is mormon would be happy to answer questions or chat too!) i don't mind and i think it would be a lot simpler to ask questions personally than to state things that may or may not be correct on the thread. anyway, i'm really sorry that things have gotten so off topic here. but again, i have no problem answering questions about religion, beliefs, or what ever else through PM. just try to keep things on the boards about what we're all here for- Disney. thanks!
~Renee

kcw

Yikes...

*pulls back hand*

Wasn't aware I was hitting a nerve there. :wave:

no it's not that at all.... it just gets old when I've already answered something, and yet people keep posting their own made up answers like they know better than me?? It's because whenever it comes to religion (or politics) people believe that they individually know more than everyone else, and they just have to prove everyone that they're wrong... human nature I guess, but I just don't understand it?!?!:veryconfu

Wilt Dasney

no it's not that at all.... it just gets old when I've already answered something, and yet people keep posting their own made up answers like they know better than me?? It's because whenever it comes to religion (or politics) people believe that they individually know more than everyone else, and they just have to prove everyone that they're wrong... human nature I guess, but I just don't understand it?!?!:veryconfu

Frustration I get...but for the record, my answer wasn't made up. I looked up the word in question on dictionary.com and got the following result:

gen·tile /ˈdʒɛntaɪl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jen-tahyl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective (sometimes initial capital letter[) <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">1.</td><td valign="top">of or pertaining to any people not Jewish. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">2.</td><td valign="top">Christian, as distinguished from Jewish. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">3.</td><td valign="top">Mormon Church. not Mormon. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">4.</td><td valign="top">heathen or pagan. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">5.</td><td valign="top">(of a linguistic expression) expressing nationality or local origins. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">6.</td><td valign="top">of or pertaining to a tribe, clan, people, nation, etc. </td></tr></tbody></table> –noun <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">7.</td><td valign="top">a person who is not Jewish, esp. a Christian. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">8.</td><td valign="top">(among Mormons) a person who is not a Mormon. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">9.</td><td valign="top">a heathen or pagan.</td></tr></tbody></table>
I wasn't trying to insult or demean Mormons or their faith at all, just trying to clarify a term that has been used in multiple ways by some people over time. :wave:

comics101

Frustration I get...but for the record, my answer wasn't made up. I looked up the word in question on dictionary.com and got the following result:

gen·tile /ˈdʒɛntaɪl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jen-tahyl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective (sometimes initial capital letter[) <TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>1.</TD><TD vAlign=top>of or pertaining to any people not Jewish. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>2.</TD><TD vAlign=top>Christian, as distinguished from Jewish. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>3.</TD><TD vAlign=top>Mormon Church. not Mormon. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>4.</TD><TD vAlign=top>heathen or pagan. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>5.</TD><TD vAlign=top>(of a linguistic expression) expressing nationality or local origins. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>6.</TD><TD vAlign=top>of or pertaining to a tribe, clan, people, nation, etc. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>–noun <TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>7.</TD><TD vAlign=top>a person who is not Jewish, esp. a Christian. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>8.</TD><TD vAlign=top>(among Mormons) a person who is not a Mormon. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>9.</TD><TD vAlign=top>a heathen or pagan.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I wasn't trying to insult or demean Mormons or their faith at all, just trying to clarify a term that has been used in multiple ways by some people over time. :wave:

I'm confused. How can it be the Mormon Church, but not Mormons. The Mormons make up the LDS church and so the LDS church would have to be a Gentile church. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and I'm just really confused, but I'm a member of the LDS church and I've always thought members of the church were refered to as gentiles.

Wilt Dasney

I'm confused. How can it be the Mormon Church, but not Mormons. The Mormons make up the LDS church and so the LDS church would have to be a Gentile church. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and I'm just really confused, but I'm a member of the LDS church and I've always thought members of the church were refered to as gentiles.

The phrase "Mormon Church" was italicized on the page before I pasted it, meaning the phrase "not Mormon" is considered an acceptable definition (by the dictionary, at least) by members of the Mormon Church.

Digging a little deeper, I read that using the word Gentile to describe nonbelievers has fallen out of favor with many Mormons, to the point where the traditional usage (non-Jew) is the only usage known to many Mormons. This probably explains why some of the folks posting here think the "non-Mormon" usage is a fictitious one, because they've never heard it used themselves. :shrug:

comics101

The phrase "Mormon Church" was italicized on the page before I pasted it, meaning the phrase "not Mormon" is considered an acceptable definition (by the dictionary, at least) by members of the Mormon Church.

Digging a little deeper, I read that using the word Gentile to describe nonbelievers has fallen out of favor with many Mormons, to the point where the traditional usage (non-Jew) is the only usage known to many Mormons. This probably explains why some of the folks posting here think the "non-Mormon" usage is a fictitious one, because they've never heard it used themselves. :shrug:

ok, I guess. I'm still a little confused as to how someone could say LDS isn't Gentile, but whatever.

Wilt Dasney

ok, I guess. I'm still a little confused as to how someone could say LDS isn't Gentile, but whatever.

I would guess it has to do with the fact that LDS's trace their lineage back to Abraham, and thus consider themselves Jews either by direct descent or adoption into the church. Thus, anyone not a Jew or a Mormon could be considered a Gentile.

But the fact that so many Mormons in this thread are puzzled by the usage supports the idea that it's generally not used these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom