Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

Driver

This is typical summer hiring needed to replace natural attrition. The layoffs last fall were at the Director/General Manager/ Vice President level not hourly CM.

As well they have been short bus drivers were a while now. The “Minnie Van” sucked a lot of staffing away. As well bus drivers are limited by DOT rules which limit hours. Other roles you can scheduled OT if needed to meet staffing but Buses you can’t. The Skyliner probably pull from the existing transportation cast members but should have a small staffing effect overall.
True DOT rules prevail for bus driver overtime, but they are allowed 70 hours over 8 days. By law up to 14 hrs. Per day. Disney keeps its max at 12 or less with a minimum 10 hrs. between shifts, so drivers can be rested.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From your link...
"Bus Driver Online Job Fair – Held online through May 31, candidates interested in joining a team that’s always on the move can apply for available part-time and full-time roles."

I wonder why they're interviewing bus drivers with the impending Skyliner system...
Skyliner is fake news...the pictures were photoshopped and the press releases faked;)

I would assume they could reassign drivers from the EPCOT and DHS routes at those resorts to other openings. It may be that they need people now since the skyliner is still a while from opening.

bcoachable

It seems bus drivers are in high demand at the moment; every school district around my area has a sign out asking for applicants. For those that might know, and without trying to be too nosey, what might a typical bus driver make in one of those hours that they are driving for Disney?

mmouse90

It seems bus drivers are in high demand at the moment; every school district around my area has a sign out asking for applicants. For those that might know, and without trying to be too nosey, what might a typical bus driver make in one of those hours that they are driving for Disney?

$12.65 per hour.

Driver

Skyliner is fake news...the pictures were photoshopped and the press releases faked;)

I would assume they could reassign drivers from the EPCOT and DHS routes at those resorts to other openings. It may be that they need people now since the skyliner is still a while from opening.
As far as reassigning drivers it really doesn't work that way. And even with the Skyliner bus driver need will not decrease. There are more positions to fill than they can get drivers for . Unfortunately there are some things I can't discuss. 😟

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Too bad Disney is just an evil, heartless corporation who just keeps cutting back staffing at every turn to maximize their quarterly bonuses. #FordWasRight
Thankfully these new hire's won’t be on the old contracts, have the same expertise or replace the fields of those who were laid off last year.

Last edited:

Marriedatdisney

Didn't a bunch of bus drivers switch to be Minnie Van drivers?
We’ve ridden the MV,s probably 30 times or more in the last year and we always chit chat with the driver. Not a single one in our experience was a bus driver. Most came from hotel or attraction operations. Several were 20+ year employees. They’re all amazingly nice and helpful. Once we started we never rode a bus again.

Goofyernmost

Didn't a bunch of bus drivers switch to be Minnie Van drivers?
I don't know of a single company that pays the same for a none CDL driver requirement as a trained person with a CDL. However, not all driving positions require CDL's so it is highly unlikely that that would want to switch and get paid less.

That said, as usual, Disney doesn't pay CDL drivers even close to what most of the country pays for the same services, so even with MVD's lower hourly rate, adding in possible tips, can bring it up to probably the same rate and a whole lot less hassle. It anyone thinks that driving a 40 foot bus, loaded down with happy, or mad, adults and kids through bumper to bumper traffic, drivers ahead rubber necking to see the sights while driving, getting complaints from people that are, through their own fault, running late for an ADR all the while being ridiculed because they occasionally pass along information that they have heard through their grapevine, which quite often is incorrect, just to be sociable and personalize peoples experience, is an easy job, should give bus driving at Disney a try.

Then we could easily see why they might gladly switch over to a less stressful driving job. Not as much fun as driving a huge vehicle**, perhaps, but, certainly a more individual, one on one, experience. So if they can still pay their bills, a trade down would be the smart thing to do.

Trust me, driving a bus can be a lot of fun especially if you love to drive, but, it is also a gigantic responsibility with the health of a large group of people in your hands. Then on top of that the riders expect the driver to entertain them while they are driving. Not everyone that is able to drive a bus, is an entertainer and their job is to get you safely to your destination. We don't even want a driver to be talking on a phone in everyday life, but, in Disney they're supposed to be doing a standup comedy routine while avoiding possible disasters at every turn.

WDWVolFan

If you have a CDL to drive a bus, you can make bank driving a truck today. With the electronic log devices, drivers cannot drive an extra half hour to get to destination. They need to stop. That has caused a bullwhip effect in the transportation industry that had stopped investing in drivers and trucks. Now they are adjusting and paying more and buying more trucks.
So if you don’t have a lot of tenure with Disney, you leave for more money to driver for Swift, Werner, JB Hunt, Schneider. And then when Disney bumps up the pay for drivers, which they will have to, those who jumped ship just to make money, will come back.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as reassigning drivers it really doesn't work that way. And even with the Skyliner bus driver need will not decrease. There are more positions to fill than they can get drivers for . Unfortunately there are some things I can't discuss. 😟
When the skyliner opens the assumption around here is that Pop, AoA and CBR will stop running buses to EPCOT and DHS. Is that not true? Will they have both bus and Skyliner from those resorts to those parks?

Driver

When the skyliner opens the assumption around here is that Pop, AoA and CBR will stop running buses to EPCOT and DHS. Is that not true? Will they have both bus and Skyliner from those resorts to those parks?
Absolutely bus service must be available to all resorts. Case in point , Polynesian, Grand Floridian and contemporary are serviced by the monorail. When the monorail goes down busses take over. Same with TTC it happens that the monorail is down AND the ferries...... busses! Monorail and Ferries can't keep up bringing guest back to TTC.... busses. Epcot from MK monorail down .... busses. Most nights the monorail shuts down around midnight or shortly there after ( except special events) guest still need transportation from TTC to Epcot ........ busses. The Gondola's will be another fun way to travel but cannot replace busses. Mechanical things break down, if the Gondola stopped working and there was no bus back up it would be a mess. As I've tried to show in all the examples I've used. As much as people curse the busses they are the backbone of the transportation system.

Driver

I got it have buses be automated like Uber and Lyft. Google can put in a robot drone program. I mean if drones can be flown remotely from Germany to Kuwait. it is very possible to jury rig for the buses to do the same. plus install metal detector and bomb sniffing gear on all buses boats monorails cars Minny vans and only a certain entrance for taxis limo and motorcycle with a marine division sweeping everyone that comes in we do have the national guard that's really not doing anything right now.
You have an amazing imagination 😜

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom