Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Absolutely bus service must be available to all resorts. Case in point , Polynesian, Grand Floridian and contemporary are serviced by the monorail. When the monorail goes down busses take over. Same with TTC it happens that the monorail is down AND the ferries...... busses! Monorail and Ferries can't keep up bringing guest back to TTC.... busses. Epcot from MK monorail down .... busses. Most nights the monorail shuts down around midnight or shortly there after ( except special events) guest still need transportation from TTC to Epcot ........ busses. The Gondola's will be another fun way to travel but cannot replace busses. Mechanical things break down, if the Gondola stopped working and there was no bus back up it would be a mess. As I've tried to show in all the examples I've used. As much as people curse the busses they are the backbone of the transportation system.
No doubt they would need buses for backup but my real question was will there be regular bus service from those 3 resorts to those 2 parks once the skyway opens?

Driver

No doubt they would need buses for backup but my real question was will there be regular bus service from those 3 resorts to those 2 parks once the skyway opens?
Sorry misunderstood, from what I'm hearing now yes still will have busses. It is expected that some guest will choose not to use the Gondolas from fear of heights or other reasons. Akin to folks who won't get in to a boat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry misunderstood, from what I'm hearing now yes still will have busses. It is expected that some guest will choose not to use the Gondolas from fear of heights or other reasons. Akin to folks who won't get in to a boat.
Do the resorts serviced by boat have regular bus schedules as well? I don’t remember seeing busses coming to Beach Club for DHS or EPCOT. I guess they have both boat or walking path so maybe that’s the difference.

briangaw

From your link...
"Bus Driver Online Job Fair – Held online through May 31, candidates interested in joining a team that’s always on the move can apply for available part-time and full-time roles."

I wonder why they're interviewing bus drivers with the impending Skyliner system...

As I've said before the Skyliner is not the do all end all for transportation. They have been short of bus drivers for years. Right now could easily use about 200-300 more!

This times 100! Everyone is short of drivers right now! Trucking has boomed as others have said as the economy has picked up and other regulatory changes have affected hours. Having a CDL can mean a good deal of money in the trucking sector and public transport has seen some losses for that. It is so tight that the city where I live in Florida has just cut bus routes and intervals on routes and substantially because they can not get drivers. I am sure Disney is always looking for drivers.

Driver

Do the resorts serviced by boat have regular bus schedules as well? I don’t remember seeing busses coming to Beach Club for DHS or EPCOT. I guess they have both boat or walking path so maybe that’s the difference.
Yes, Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk etc. all have full bus service

trainplane3

A very different case but Wilderness Lodge has regular boat service as well as bus service to MK. Obviously there's no walking path so that may be the deciding factor.

Biff215

But then what would be the point of investing in the gondolas? Sure it cuts down on demand, but if a bus is promised every 20 minutes, you’re still sending roughly the same amount of buses if you continue that service, some of which might be empty. It’s doubtful buses will be offered except when the gondola is down. If someone refuses to ride the gondola, I’m pretty sure they’ll be directed to the MK/AK bus where they can transfer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A very different case but Wilderness Lodge has regular boat service as well as bus service to MK. Obviously there's no walking path so that may be the deciding factor.
I think another factor is MK is the most popular park so the demand is higher than other parks. The boats from Wilderness Lodge aren’t large enough to transport all of the guests at that resort who want to go. MK, similar to the boat that goes to Poly and GF. It’s an alternate option as opposed to the prime transport. If they wanted to make boat the lone transport option at Wilderness Lodge to MK they’d need a bigger boat.

It’s still too early to know the exact capacity of the skyliner, but it seems like it should be high enough to be the primary transport for those 2 parks from the 3 resorts + DVC connected.

peter11435

There are actually two ways, the one I mentioned and another route that goes to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness without transferring .
The point is there is no bus on a regular basis that departs fort wilderness with it’s destination displayed as Magic Kingdom.

Driver

Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk do not have bus transportation to Epcot or DHS unless the ferries are not operating.
Ok my apologies I'm not being clear please allow me to recap. Bus service from Epcot resorts to DHS on a daily bases no, during inclement weather yes bus service. ( lightning etc.) But brace yourselves boat service from EPCOT resorts to DHS will stop for approximately 4-6 weeks it's a temporary shut down. And buses will run full time during this duration.

peter11435

You're sure about that?

Yes.

I’m sure it’s never been running any time I’ve stayed at the fort over the past 4 years.

And I’m sure there’s been no bus depot at MK labeled as Fort Wilderness any time I’ve looked for several years.

I know they can and do sometimes run the route just as they can run GF-MK if necessary. But it’s not a standard offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom