Latest Info on Midway Mania!

Epcot82Guy

Connor002 said:

Best post ever.

And just in defense (but not intended to open a can of worms), to say people that complain about changes at the parks are selfish is pretty haughty. If you complain about every change, that is foolish. I will definitely give you that. To highlight skepticism, especially when major failures were coming down the tubes, however, is not selfish. I don't know of many on here that don't want to see Disney grow and develop (yes, there are some, but not many). If Disney is successful at what it always had been successful at, none of the complaints would be raised. It is a high goal, but having attractions that appeal to a broad-based audience is what made DL, WDW, etc. successful.

In an odd way, I think Pixar is the best example of this. Pixar is not the success it is because of its animation quality. It is not major marketing (although that helps). It is not because it appeals to young children who drag mom and dad. While all of those play a part, Pixar is so successful because they are great at creating great movies. They are movies that appeal to the vast majority of people, regardless of age (although many will try to deny it, I would argue that is more reaction to society than "truth"). Good stories that you get at 3 and appreciate more each decade of life after that. Creations you can grow with are what define true successes. I think many, myself included, find many steps Disney is currently taking are against that attitude. It is insulting on a personal level but, on a deeper level, it suggests that this generation may not have the connections to Disney World as they get older because ti is becoming ACTUALLY for kids by design.

Crazy Harry

wannab@dis said:
Simply put... Selfishness.

Just wait until that little darling in your avatar is 18 to 36 months old. It's the "ME" stage and they do not understand that everything in their world is not centered on them. It's a perfectly natural condition of growing up. Some, however, fail to leave that stage.

Is it really 'selfish' to have an opinion and speak of it passionetly?

And I kind of thought the focus of a theme park was to attract people, which includes those 'childish' people, so doesn't that make it centered on them in a sense (in addition to other groups).

Isn't it also selfish to assume people shouldn't take fault with certain changes just because that is what you believe? I think it goes both ways.

And to answer the question of why people are sometimes annoyed by these changes is they perfer the way it used to be. They perfer what they consider traditional (animatronics) over newer technology.

Can anyone really say all change is good or bad? Of course not. It's a little bit of both, and all are entitled to their opinion. I much perfer that to being zombie yes men agreeing only not to deviate from societal expectations where anyone who disagrees is 'selfish'.

wannab@dis

Crazy Harry said:
Is it really 'selfish' to have an opinion and speak of it passionetly?

And I kind of thought the focus of a theme park was to attract people, which includes those 'childish' people, so doesn't that make it centered on them in a sense (in addition to other groups).

Isn't it also selfish to assume people shouldn't take fault with certain changes just because that is what you believe? I think it goes both ways.

And to answer the question of why people are sometimes annoyed by these changes is they perfer the way it used to be. They perfer what they consider traditional (animatronics) over newer technology.

Can anyone really say all change is good or bad? Of course not. It's a little bit of both, and all are entitled to their opinion. I much perfer that to being zombie yes men agreeing only not to deviate from societal expectations where anyone who disagrees is 'selfish'.

It's never a problem to passionately discuss your opinion, but when it excludes the majority of the guests and is based on narrow (eg purist, traditional) view, it's basically being selfish.

I would like to see a new darkride with AAs and extravagant scenes, but the popularity of those rides are just not as strong today and don't have the lifetime they once did. It would be selfish to complain day in and day out wanting things MY way instead of what would be enjoyed by the majority.

Nobody is saying all changes that have been done are good. The attempt to constantly improve the parks is always good.

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:
I would like to see a new darkride with AAs and extravagant scenes, but the popularity of those rides are just not as strong today and don't have the lifetime they once did.
Do you really think this is true? SpM (how old is it now?) is a dark ride with what appears to be a lengthy lifetime. And what about PotC and HM? These are darkrides with AAs and extravagant scenes and they remain popular and they will continue to operate for many more decades.

I would like to see them attempt a new attraction like you describe above with the latest in technology, effects and, most importantly, a great story (Narnia? in AK?). IMO, I think we'd be surprised at how well received it might be received.

dxwwf3

Good points Pinto. I see wannab's point about the original Epcot style attractions not being something we will see in the near future again, but I think you are pretty spot on here as well.

wannab@dis

PintoColvig said:
Do you really think this is true? SpM (how old is it now?) is a dark ride with what appears to be a lengthy lifetime. And what about PotC and HM? These are darkrides with AAs and extravagant scenes and they remain popular and they will continue to operate for many more decades.

I would like to see them attempt a new attraction like you describe above with the latest in technology, effects and, most importantly, a great story (Narnia? in AK?). IMO, I think we'd be surprised at how well received it might be received.
I think some popularity of the attractions are tied to location... you know that old adage about the three most important things when buying a house. Location, Location, Location. I honestly can't be sure if I'm right here... but if Jungle Cruise was in DAK, it may not be as popular 10, 20 or 30 years after the debut. I enjoy It's a Mexican World :lookaroun, but it just doesn't have the strength of IaSW at all. Very similar method, but truly a different popularity. By being in MK, some of the classics are granted a long life by sheer location.

The other thing to think about is the cost of the major darkrides with tons of scenes and AAs to build AND maintain. If they are not able to sustain their popularity, then the ROI will not be there. It's a fine line to walk and that's why I think combining new methods with old methods will work if they can find the right balance. Having said that, I don't think we should look down on or belittle an attraction because it only uses new methods. It may be seen as the first step of experimentation for developing further methods that combine the multiple experiences.

You're right, Narnia seems to be the perfect example of content for combining the old darkride techniques with new methods and effects utilizing screen/video, CGI and AA's. Think about using EMV (e.g. Dinosaur) moving smoothly through an area with background story using AA's (no motion so it's like Pirates, etc) and then into a CGI area and being rocked about and then into a coaster section depicting the battles. The old darkride methods would be integral and new techniques would also. The darkride area with detailed scenes and AAs would not need to be extremely long, thereby reducing the capital investment.

I'm in no way advocating the extinction of old methods, but saying that including new methods may be a great way to enhance them and bring back their glorydays while using new interactive mediums that so many people want to see today.

(edit: spelling)

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
I'm in now way advocating the extinction of old methods, but saying that including new methods may be a great way to enhance them and bring back their glorydays while using new interactive mediums that so many people want to see today.

Excellent point as well.

I really wish Horizons would have been an attraction that would have recieved a great deal of enhancements and new methods that you mentioned. But M:S isn't a bad trade :)

RSoxNo1

In reference to the previously mentioned Narnia idea, I think the Test Track/Journey to the Center of the Earth ride system would be perfect for this. It doesn't have to go 60 mph, but the ability to speed up, simulate rough terrains, etc. would be effective for a ride for Narnia.

CaptainMichael

RSoxNo1 said:
In reference to the previously mentioned Narnia idea, I think the Test Track/Journey to the Center of the Earth ride system would be perfect for this. It doesn't have to go 60 mph, but the ability to speed up, simulate rough terrains, etc. would be effective for a ride for Narnia.
It would be nice.

Funny how people would more readily accept an attraction based on a movie by Walden Media than Pixar.

mkepcotmgmak

i am not passing judgement on this because honestly, i don't understand this attraction at all - but why toy story characters? what about the incredibles?

CaptainMichael

mkepcotmgmak said:
i am not passing judgement on this because honestly, i don't understand this attraction at all - but why toy story characters? what about the incredibles?
Because there is something better in R&D for The Incredibles.:wave:

ballewclan

STR8FAN2005 said:
It would be nice.

Funny how people would more readily accept an attraction based on a movie by Walden Media than Pixar.

Very funny actually.

I think people have just established a anti-pixar attitude in regards to any attraction without actually thinking of it.

I wouldnt mind some origional story lines on future rides, but I'm more worried about the quality and theming of the ride going in.

Lee

Adventurer
Because there is something better in R&D for The Incredibles.:wave:

Yes, the Incredibles will be a much bigger attraction if built.
Also, the Toy Story theme was designed for Paradise Pier. Unfortunately, they took the cheap way out and are doing a direct clone at the Studios.

Captain Chaos

Also, the Toy Story theme was designed for Paradise Pier. Unfortunately, they took the cheap way out and are doing a direct clone at the Studios.

And just where is this awesome Incredibles ride supposed to be?

Epcot82Guy

I'm sad to see these days aren't over. Really, the costs of a retheme on something this fairly minimal (meaning the sets, since the ride system development would have been the big chunk of change) is just sad. Unlike Soarin' which really just takes a video switch, this would have to be redone to get a new theme. Oh well... "MEMORIES! Light the corners of my mind! Misty water colored memoriiiiiiiiiies... of the way we were...."

sorry...:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom