Late FP Returns Tightening Up?

dxwwf3

This is not a good formula because fp people change so often but maybe ask the people who are working that ride when you get your pass and ask what their policy is. Maybe that would help with any misuderstandings? Just a thought and I hope no one thinks I was attacking them.

No, it's all good.

I just don't really see a need to change something that works fine the way it is. There are other things at Disney World that need attention more than FP usage, IMO. However if they are having problems with FP that I'm not aware of (which is entirely possible) then that's different. But I just don't see how.

hcswingfield

We frequently end up being delayed and using our fast passes after the window. We've even pointed it out to the CMs and have gotten an enthusiastic "OK." We did this on Soarin' earlier this month, with no problem. It's hard enough trying to time things to make your meal reservations without also regimenting your day around fast pass windows!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
From my recent experience, it appears to me that only Soarin' CM's are strict on enforcement... to the point of rudeness and downright nastiness. And their management is with them as well :rolleyes:

I returned at 6:35 with 5pm-6pm fastpass and was told it was not valid to go to standby. A manager sided with the CM, and I was told get in standby or go to Guest Relations. I wasn't told nicely or even respectfully. I was told snidely, curtly, RUDELY. They were nearly nasty.

I just won't contribute to Soarin's numbers anymore. I'll reserve that attraction for my bi-annual trips to Disneyland.

Cattman96

No, it's all good.

I just don't really see a need to change something that works fine the way it is. There are other things at Disney World that need attention more than FP usage, IMO. However if they are having problems with FP that I'm not aware of (which is entirely possible) then that's different. But I just don't see how.

Cool. Good Point!

Eyorefan

When I was there two weeks ago I noticed an increase in CM Checking fast passes more closly. As in they were actually looking at them for once. We even had one CM have us wait because we were 3 minutes early (for peter pan). I'm not complaining and we were happy to wait, but in the past I have never had a CM care about us because we were a few minutes early.

slappy magoo

What my point was is that we have been told by CMs, especially on this board, that the CMs are TOLD to allow people in past the time. TOLD by Disney. If this isn't true OR if Disney wants to change this practice, that's another story. But as of now, I have no reason whatsoever to think this isn't true. I don't know what else I can say :shrug:

Dude, you've been here long enough to know that what the CMs tell you, and what "is," are often two entirely different things. There are plenty of threads on this forum that begin with "I heard from a Cast Member that..." and then what follows is all sorts of horse hockey. Monorail expansions. Harry Potter. CoP getting scrapped. Free dining in July. New water parks. River Country reopening. Treehouse villas reopening. Fifth Gate! And so on and so on.

But this time, what the CM says benefits you directly. So it must be true. That it? :veryconfu

slappy magoo

From my recent experience, it appears to me that only Soarin' CM's are strict on enforcement... to the point of rudeness and downright nastiness. And their management is with them as well :rolleyes:

I returned at 6:35 with 5pm-6pm fastpass and was told it was not valid to go to standby. A manager sided with the CM, and I was told get in standby or go to Guest Relations. I wasn't told nicely or even respectfully. I was told snidely, curtly, RUDELY. They were nearly nasty.

I just won't contribute to Soarin's numbers anymore. I'll reserve that attraction for my bi-annual trips to Disneyland.

Just out of curiosity, why did the manager have to "side" with the CM? Did the manager happen to be there when you arrived? Or was the manager summoned because a park guest with an expired fastpass asked to speak with the manager? Just curious.

Either way, rudeness should never be tolerated, but if it were a situation where the guest was told "sorry the fastpass expired" and the guest then demanded to speak with the manager, one could reasonably argue that the guest was not being respectful to the CM, essentially implying that the CM had no authority and the guest was going to go up the chain of command until he/she got what he/she wanted. In that case, the apparently brusque way of dealing with the matter could have been a "pre-emptive strike." Chances are, anyone who saw the situation unfold will never try to use expired fastpasses themselves. And this may have been the "nth" time that day the manager had to deal with a similar situation, and would like to minimize it happening again in the future. A greater good kinda thing, as far as the CMs are concerned, mayhaps?

Vernonpush

When I was there two weeks ago I noticed an increase in CM Checking fast passes more closly. As in they were actually looking at them for once. We even had one CM have us wait because we were 3 minutes early (for peter pan). I'm not complaining and we were happy to wait, but in the past I have never had a CM care about us because we were a few minutes early.

My biggest problem with FastPasses is the thronging masses who are waiting for their FastPass Return Time waiting at the FP Queue until the minutes tick down to "their turn". If you were told "not yet" get out of our way! We have valid FPs and want to try and get on the ride. ( Same can be said of the Egress of a ride, don't stand at the exit doors and plan what you are going to do next. Exit and THEN decide where you'll go. That's another thread.)

Chape19714

Dude, you've been here long enough to know that what the CMs tell you, and what "is," are often two entirely different things. There are plenty of threads on this forum that begin with "I heard from a Cast Member that..." and then what follows is all sorts of horse hockey. Monorail expansions. Harry Potter. CoP getting scrapped. Free dining in July. New water parks. River Country reopening. Treehouse villas reopening. Fifth Gate! And so on and so on.

But this time, what the CM says benefits you directly. So it must be true. That it? :veryconfu
Well, from my perspective, Cast Members at attractions are TRAINED to handle fastpass. The ones you speak of talking about CoP, Harry Potter, 5th Gate, etc. have not been trained in that material, they simply are having "small talk" with the guests.

brertigger

( Same can be said of the Egress of a ride, don't stand at the exit doors and plan what you are going to do next. Exit and THEN decide where you'll go. That's another thread.)

:lol: That reminds me--once an It's a Small World CM was getting really annoyed at a large group of guests that had completely blocked the Small World exit because it was raining outside, and people were stopped about 3/4 of the way to the unload dock. He kept saying "Clear the exit" every ten seconds. It only took about 10 minutes (and three security CMs) for the crowd to disperse. I think they had to send a few boats around the ride twice because the delay was so long.

slappy magoo

Well, from my perspective, Cast Members at attractions are TRAINED to handle fastpass. The ones you speak of talking about CoP, Harry Potter, 5th Gate, etc. have not been trained in that material, they simply are having "small talk" with the guests.

Well, from my perspective, I'd think "Don't bulls*** the guests" should always be policy, but since CMs lie about all those things via "small talk", who knows when/if/why a CM would lie about Fastpass abuse being ok with the high-up muckety-mucks? For all we know, the "training" that they get (if they get it) to let people use expired fastpasses is one CM telling another it's OK, who tells another it's OK, and so on and so on, until it becomes so common, everyone thinks it's something management is cool with, and they're not.

PurpleDragon

IMO if you miss your FP "window" then you have wasted your fastpass and no one is to blame but yourself. People who get a fastpass for 11:00AM-11:15AM and don't use it until 5:00PM, are one of the main reasons the FP system doesn't work well on many attractions.

The fastpass "window" is setup to have a certain small number of FP guests in line at any given time so as to not majorly affect the flow of the SB line. But if you have ump-teen guests with FP that are long expired trying to slip in line, then it affects the flow and causes longer waits for those people who have valid FP and who have been waiting for 30+ minutes in the SB line.

IMO trying to use an expired FP is selfish and rude to those who are in the SB line and those who have valid FP. Getting angry about it when a CM won't let you cheat the system is equally as selfish and rude.

mkt

Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, why did the manager have to "side" with the CM? Did the manager happen to be there when you arrived? Or was the manager summoned because a park guest with an expired fastpass asked to speak with the manager? Just curious.

I asked for the manager after the CM became rude :) Why did the manager side with the CM? I'm not sure why. Probably to either A- not make the CM look bad, or B- he was busy and was hoping to pass the buck to guest relations, or C- he's a stickler to the "rules," possibly lacking common sense?

Not sure why.

Ultimately, guest relations gave me a slip of paper to let me on, and did tell me that the fastpass window is somewhat flexible.

Chape19714

Not all CM's are always 100% correct, but a vast majority are great. mkt has just confirmed that management does know about it, via guest relations. Guest realtions is pretty much the most textbook management/disney perspective on everything in most cases. All CM's are very well trained, and know thier jobs.

As I stated before, 90-95% of people use FP's within the first 10 minutes of thier window, so that doesn't leave too many coming back late, therefore coming in a bit afterward doesn't slow down the line too much.

mkt

Premium Member
Either way, rudeness should never be tolerated, but if it were a situation where the guest was told "sorry the fastpass expired" and the guest then demanded to speak with the manager, one could reasonably argue that the guest was not being respectful to the CM, essentially implying that the CM had no authority and the guest was going to go up the chain of command until he/she got what he/she wanted. In that case, the apparently brusque way of dealing with the matter could have been a "pre-emptive strike." Chances are, anyone who saw the situation unfold will never try to use expired fastpasses themselves. And this may have been the "nth" time that day the manager had to deal with a similar situation, and would like to minimize it happening again in the future. A greater good kinda thing, as far as the CMs are concerned, mayhaps?

Meh.. the rudeness from the CM should have never occured, but it did. The CM was rather "uppity" with me, and was unapologetic for their behaviour. At this point, I didn't care if I got the fastpass or not, but I wanted management to know about their CM's behaviour.

Ultimately, neither of us got what we wanted. I got a valid way up front, but I don't know if the CM was ever discipline.

slappy magoo

Not all CM's are always 100% correct, but a vast majority are great. mkt has just confirmed that management does know about it, via guest relations. Guest realtions is pretty much the most textbook management/disney perspective on everything in most cases. All CM's are very well trained, and know thier jobs.

As I stated before, 90-95% of people use FP's within the first 10 minutes of thier window, so that doesn't leave too many coming back late, therefore coming in a bit afterward doesn't slow down the line too much.

Unless a whole bunch of thoe 5-to-10 percent-ers who don't show up within the first 10 minutes of their time window all suddenly show up at the same time, most of them after their time window has expired, knowhutimean?

mkt

Premium Member
All CM's are very well trained, and know thier jobs.

HAH!!!!

All CM's?!?!?!?!

Passing the buck to guest relations is terrible guest service

slappy magoo

I asked for the manager after the CM became rude :) Why did the manager side with the CM? I'm not sure why. Probably to either A- not make the CM look bad, or B- he was busy and was hoping to pass the buck to guest relations, or C- he's a stickler to the "rules," possibly lacking common sense?

Not sure why.

Ultimately, guest relations gave me a slip of paper to let me on, and did tell me that the fastpass window is somewhat flexible.

In a word...Rashomon

http://imdb.com/title/tt0042876/

Chape19714

Did I type all, I didn't mean that...

And I agree, Passing the buck to GR is terrible, but I do reguard them as the "textbook" answer when it comes to most issues at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom