Last Day for Turnstiles at Magic Kingdom

CarlFredricksen

There are still cast members at each of the tap machines making sure everyone taps and scans their finger before they go in. I don't see how someone could, unless they just run full speed and knock over whoever is in their way, get into the park without doing the tap and finger scan.

I have used the new system multiple times, and one time I was waved in because my pass wouldn't scan. The second time was at international gateway, just last week, where 3 of the 4 stations shut down unexpectedly all at once with about 30 people in line. It was chaos. The one functioning station had a guest trying to get in but their card wouldnt work. Everyone else in line was extremely inpatient. After about 1minute of only having one station and that one station being stuck on one guests needs, a few guys just walked in and the cast member hardly tried to stop them. She asked them to wait in line while they get the problem fixed and they said they have waited long enough. That was it -- they were in.

Bairstow

I could definitely see that happen.
Surely Disney has multiple redundant systems for checking Ticket/Band authenticity, but I can totally see that if something went catastrophically wrong they would just wave in anyone with something that looked like a ticket or a band.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Nothing.

And there have been numerous instances of people doing just that.

Dear Lord, I've been tempted, when my DD was small with our APs. That stupid finger measuring contraption for a little tyke was a pain in the tooshie.

After several attempts and coming through with the rest of her family who the heck did they think that AP-child belong too. Felt like grabbing her wrist and just pulling her in with the rest of us. None of these various finger identifiers were meant for the tiny visitors.

Rob562

They didn't work with AAA tickets when I was there in June. They had to use the handheld scanners. I don't know if AAA has gotten new tickets since then, but that was my experience.

If you don't have a ticket with RFID built in, a quick visit to Guest Relations will solve it. Most new paper tickets have RFID inside, though. (Look for the MDE logo somewhere on the back with the Mickey head icon inside a circle)

-Rob

GrumpyFan

Nothing.

And there have been numerous instances of people doing just that.

I would be surprised if there wasn't something in the code that would "flag" you somehow the first time you try and use your band/card somewhere in the park if you haven't passed thru the gates. I imagine at this point it's probably nothing more than a soft identification, and maybe they automatically decrement your park day from your ticket, but I would think sometime in the future it might be more of a hard stop. But then, I have to wonder too, is it really necessary to swipe at the front gate, if there are readers everywhere that can detect the band in the vicinity of the park. It will be interesting to see how this process evolves and how they deal with people that willingly or unintentionally bypass the front gates.

Sped2424

being real I have been when they are packed, and honestly sometimes a cm is so busy with a family of five in front of you that you could literally just walk in. I said it to my friend last time we were there that if we wanted to we could have just blended in and walked straight past. But we have ap's so the only thing we would have gotten out of that is a giggle.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
being real I have been when they are packed, and honestly sometimes a cm is so busy with a family of five in front of you that you could literally just walk in. I said it to my friend last time we were there that if we wanted to we could have just blended in and walked straight past. But we have ap's so the only thing we would have gotten out of that is a giggle.
There was more than one time that the kiddo and I tapped our card or bands (cards the last half) and did the finger thing, and were eyeballed by CMs as if we were walking through.

More than once we were fast with the system, but faster than the CMs managing it, even with FPs...

The new "uncontrolled" nature of the entryways is a new thing for Disney to manage, and one I'm not sure they anticipated well.

luv

Also what prevents you using the new turnstiles from ever going to a kiosk if its busy and just walking straight in?
I tend to think it might be possible. I once did the tapstile thing and started walking in only to be told I had to re-do it because it hadn't worked, it has to turn green. I said it did work and was green. The kid said, "Oh, it did? I wasn't looking."

I've also watched other people entering and the staff.

It might be possible for someone to sneak in. I wouldn't advise it!! But I think it's more possible now than it was before!

gwhb75

Original Poster
I could definitely see that happen.
Surely Disney has multiple redundant systems for checking Ticket/Band authenticity, but I can totally see that if something went catastrophically wrong they would just wave in anyone with something that looked like a ticket or a band.

Wouldn't they do the same thing if something went horribly wrong with the turnstiles too? I'm in no way a My Magic Plus apoligist, but if, under the old system, the turnstile system crashed (e.g. the finger scanners all broke), wouldn't they just wave everyone through too?

KC00

There was more than one time that the kiddo and I tapped our card or bands (cards the last half) and did the finger thing, and were eyeballed by CMs as if we were walking through.

More than once we were fast with the system, but faster than the CMs managing it, even with FPs...

The new "uncontrolled" nature of the entryways is a new thing for Disney to manage, and one I'm not sure they anticipated well.

This has always been one of the more perplexing aspects of the MBs for me. It seems like it requires so much more attention from the CMs. I have used the new turnstiles on two trips now, I think, and it it seemed we were either not watched at all and very easily could have just walked in regardless of whether the Mickey head turned green or we were looked at suspiciously after successfully using the turnstiles. I know they obviously have cameras that would catch truly egregious walk ins but it seems to me that with a large group, all huddled around one Mickey head, helping each other to use the new system, it would be very easy to slip someone past.

As a compulsive rule follower who hates the thought of getting in trouble, every time I went through the new system, I wanted to announce, "See it turned green! I swear I used my ticket! I promise!" to make sure the CMs knew I wasn't trying to sneak in. Ha.

JimboJones123

This has always been one of the more perplexing aspects of the MBs for me. It seems like it requires so much more attention from the CMs. I have used the new turnstiles on two trips now, I think, and it it seemed we were either nand very easily could have just walked in regardless of whether the Mickey head turned green or we were looked at suspiciously after successfully using the turnstiles. I know they obviously have cameras that would catch truly egregious walk ins but it seems to me that with a large group, all huddled around one Mickey head, helping each other to use the new system, it would be very easy to slip someone past.

As a compulsive rule follower who hates the thought of getting in trouble, every time I went through the new system, I wanted to announce, "See it turned green! I swear I used my ticket! I promise!" to make sure the CMs knew I wasn't trying to sneak in. Ha.
And sure, it may work once, or even twice, but it won't work every time. Hiw much joy do you get out of taking a trip to Florida and having to sneak into park after park and continuing to hope that you won't be caught? And at what risk? I just don't see waves of folks giving this a regular shot.

Jane Doe

Dear Lord, I've been tempted, when my DD was small with our APs. That stupid finger measuring contraption for a little tyke was a pain in the tooshie.

After several attempts and coming through with the rest of her family who the heck did they think that AP-child belong too. Felt like grabbing her wrist and just pulling her in with the rest of us. None of these various finger identifiers were meant for the tiny visitors.

I've always encountered problems at Orlando International Airport. I work outdoors and always visit Florida in the winter, right when the skin on my hands and fingers are nicely cracked open. The first time they used the finger scanners on me I got the nth degree from Homeland Security wanting to know why my fingers were in such a state, what chemicals have my hands come in contact with etc. When I explained my hands are normally in water and in temperatures below freezing they went off and had a conference for around twenty minutes and came back and told me that they were trying to come up with a solution. I suggested using my index finger on my left hand and maybe putting a note on the computer explaining the situation, I got a look that I imagine was on the face of the first person to see the wheel.

Homeland Security - keeping America safe from men with dry skin.

s2jrston

To staff the new entrances well for volume, I'd say they need at least 3 people per pole group.

2 to physically monitor the card / finger scan (right and left), and one in the back to monitor the handheld.

I also didn't see the handheld at every pole gate we used...not sure why.

Anyway, with the older gates, one CM could monitor two gates.

Labor...labor...labor...

I was thinking the same thing but the time saved must allow for less total gates open and therefore less labor over time as in during the opening rush when extra CMs have to be added to man the extra gates.

drkokintz

I would be surprised if there wasn't something in the code that would "flag" you somehow the first time you try and use your band/card somewhere in the park if you haven't passed thru the gates. I imagine at this point it's probably nothing more than a soft identification, and maybe they automatically decrement your park day from your ticket, but I would think sometime in the future it might be more of a hard stop. But then, I have to wonder too, is it really necessary to swipe at the front gate, if there are readers everywhere that can detect the band in the vicinity of the park. It will be interesting to see how this process evolves and how they deal with people that willingly or unintentionally bypass the front gates.

I can't speak to decremented days on a ticket, but my wife is a CM and she still has an annual pass from before she started working there. We went in one day, her using her CM pass instead of her AP. And when we tried to get a Fastpass, she accidentally used her AP. The ticket that came out said that her pass was not used for park entry and therefore couldn't be used to get a Fastpass. So, at the very least, there is a system in place that will verify that a guest has entered the park validly. I'm sure that could be expanded, if it already isn't.

NYwdwfan

It might be possible for someone to sneak in. I wouldn't advise it!! But I think it's more possible now than it was before!

Didn't you hear? A busdriver told me that's what the installation of the new concrete walkways was for - if the pressure sensitive pavement feels a person but does not match up their identity with a chip, security pounces and drags them offsite for intensive questioning. It's so obvious.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? o_O

GrumpyFan

I can't speak to decremented days on a ticket, but my wife is a CM and she still has an annual pass from before she started working there. We went in one day, her using her CM pass instead of her AP. And when we tried to get a Fastpass, she accidentally used her AP. The ticket that came out said that her pass was not used for park entry and therefore couldn't be used to get a Fastpass. So, at the very least, there is a system in place that will verify that a guest has entered the park validly. I'm sure that could be expanded, if it already isn't.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that, and actually tried something similar myself quite a while back and got the same results. Although, it wasn't that way originally, if I remember correctly. I seem to recall reading about guests gaming the system and using old passes/room keys, etc to get many fastpasses before they put the admission verification process in place.
Being that this is an entirely new system (with lots of bugs), I wonder if that same process has been implemented (yet), or at least something similar.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
On different occasions I've observed:

-Guests just meander in without swiping anything and not get stopped.

-One enterprising guest "went through the motions" by tapping..a credit card on the Mickey ears. The CM's were occuppied with another group so he just went on in even though the ears turned blue.

Oddysey

It seems that almost every time we enter we are faster than the CM because they are dealing with guest issues. I almost always feel like I am going to be stopped while walking in, and asked to scan again because nobody sees us do it. As a result, I often get an awkward feeling walking through the new entrance.

JillC LI

To be honest I was never really a fan of these things.
They always seemed to glitch out when I tried to finger swipe them.

My family swears that I have "defective" fingers! LOL No matter which finger I ever used at the start of a trip, I ALWAYS had problems getting in subsequent days with the same finger (no, I did not forget which finger).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom