Last Day for Turnstiles at Magic Kingdom

gwhb75

Original Poster
We were at MK today, and as we were going through bag check a CM was standing by the construction walls where the new magic band/RFID tap entrances are being installed, directing anyone who wanted to use the old turnstiles one last time to go to the far left side of the walls. Apparently today is the last day for the old turnstiles. So naturally we took the chance to use them one last time...

IMG_9801.JPG
IMG_9802.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9804.JPG

Last edited:

SirLink

So when their is a security issue at MK they will simply yank out the new entrance ways and put these back in.

Also what prevents you using the new turnstiles from ever going to a kiosk if its busy and just walking straight in?

gwhb75

Original Poster
So does that mean (for the time being) we gotta go to a CM with one of those handheld card/ticket swipe machines?
No, they have a number of the tap machines up and running already, but it looks like they are doing them in stages. I'm assuming the construction walls will be coming down shortly around the next batch, and will go up around the old turnstiles tomorrow.

gwhb75

Original Poster
So when their is a security issue at MK they will simply yank out the new entrance ways and put these back in.

Also what prevents you using the new turnstiles from ever going to a kiosk if its busy and just walking straight in?
There are still cast members at each of the tap machines making sure everyone taps and scans their finger before they go in. I don't see how someone could, unless they just run full speed and knock over whoever is in their way, get into the park without doing the tap and finger scan.

gwhb75

Original Poster
I have been known to have unhealthy attachments to inanimate objects, but that does make me a little sad.
Agreed. I mean the new tap things are cool, but the nostalgia factor is what makes me kind of sad. I'm just happy we were there for the last day of the old system.

FYI - if you still want to use a turnstile, Disney Quest hasn't been converted yet...

Bairstow

To be honest I was never really a fan of these things.
They always seemed to glitch out when I tried to finger swipe them.

My experience with the new Magic Gates is that they're faster and (at least from what little I saw) more reliable. Far fewer people dropping/fumbling the flimsy paper tickets and having trouble with the finger scanners. This was especially nice at rope drop at MGM and EPCOT.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So does that mean (for the time being) we gotta go to a CM with one of those handheld card/ticket swipe machines?
No, it means you'll use the poles.

They work with the KTTW just as well as the band. CMs stand there with handhelds and monitor the gates.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Nothing.

And there have been numerous instances of people doing just that.
To staff the new entrances well for volume, I'd say they need at least 3 people per pole group.

2 to physically monitor the card / finger scan (right and left), and one in the back to monitor the handheld.

I also didn't see the handheld at every pole gate we used...not sure why.

Anyway, with the older gates, one CM could monitor two gates.

Labor...labor...labor...

gwhb75

Original Poster
Actually, the Disney Quest lobby is closed for refurbishment through mid-November.
I'm guessing they'll install the new readers then. I went to Disney Quest last week and the person in front of us had a Magic Band. A CM with a scanner and an IPOD came out to check them in.

PUSH

No, it means you'll use the poles.

They work with the KTTW just as well as the band. CMs stand there with handhelds and monitor the gates.
They didn't work with AAA tickets when I was there in June. They had to use the handheld scanners. I don't know if AAA has gotten new tickets since then, but that was my experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom