News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Tavernacle12

Who the hell would want him? I can't imagine that whatever storytelling ability some believe he has is valued over his poor behavior by any competitor.

I could see him getting foreign work in developing animation industries. I don’t think they’d have an easy time getting US distribution with him attached, though.

I’m wondering if he’ll ever be on Disney property again outside of cleaning out his office. I doubt anyone there wants to see him. I’m imagining ‘consulting’ if it even is an actual gig is all email based.

the.dreamfinder

In a few years time, I would not be surprised if he shows up at events again. But now he would be in the role of a former Disney employee, like Baxter or Gurr. Everyone would know why he’s no longer an employee, but it won’t be the central issue of all things John Lasseter.
Don’t expect that so soon. His presence at these fan events can be a huge legal liability for the company. Some Disney fans have witnessed his misbehavior at those events.

britain

I could see him getting foreign work in developing animation industries. I don’t think they’d have an easy time getting US distribution with him attached, though.

I’m wondering if he’ll ever be on Disney property again outside of cleaning out his office. I doubt anyone there wants to see him. I’m imagining ‘consulting’ if it even is an actual gig is all email based.

I’m pretty sure his consulting is to give some oversight to toy story 4. The bo-peep storyline was really conceived as John’s love letter to his wife.

erasure fan1

Who the hell would want him? I can't imagine that whatever storytelling ability some believe he has is valued over his poor behavior by any competitor.
It would seem who would want him, but look no further than pro sports. Some of the lowest of low people get multiple chances. Why? Because they have talent and they think it will help them win. Lasseter was the apex of feature animation, give it some time and someone will take a chance on him because he could help them win.

V_L_Raptor

It would seem who would want him, but look no further than pro sports. Some of the lowest of low people get multiple chances. Why? Because they have talent and they think it will help them win. Lasseter was the apex of feature animation, give it some time and someone will take a chance on him because he could help them win.

Given the possibility that much of his fame in feature animation is the result of misappropriating others' work, it's possible that he could be in less demand than his prior accolades might suggest.

Sir_Cliff

Two words - Roman Polanski

I think Polanski would have had a harder time getting work producing big-budget family films, though.

It's going to be hard for any studio to market "From the genius behind Disney/Pixar's Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo!... who had to leave because of sexual harassment allegations"

MerlinTheGoat

Only if he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
As usual, Google Images did not disappoint-
0611_toystory3.jpg

CJR

This looks like the best possible outcome, and what I (albeit, rather poorly worded) said a few months back. John loses his real job, but Disney keeps him on contract, although, for a much shorter time than I thought.

He'll still be on Disney's payroll for over six more months, and probably will receiving royalty checks and other benefits for the rest of his life. For someone with such accusations, he has it pretty good going forward, especially when compared to others (although to be fair, pretty much all of them had victims go "on the record").

I don't see him being a leader anywhere else and he doesn't need to be, he's made enough money already and can be mostly retired while offering consulting services to Disney and other studios. He could get a bigger role than that or start his own company, but I don't see it. I don't imagine he wants that and I think there's some obvious challenges to that.

Consulting is probably his productive future, and we'll see a new generation of great leaders pop up. I think it could be an exciting time in animation.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
The Disney film facts guy on twitter said his Pixar animation contacts said that Pixar is in chaos right now. And that TS4 is in really bad shape. But that WDAS was coping fine.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lasseter loyalists were making life difficult at Pixar.

Would it be so bad if Disney up and canceled TS4? That'd be acceptable IMO. Or encouraged. lol

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Would it be so bad if Disney up an canceled TS4? That'd be acceptable IMO. Or encouraged. lol
I'm obviously saying this as someone who hasn't seen it yet, so my opinion could change when (or if) it releases. The movie could end up being good for all I know.

But yeah, I can't help but feel i'd be perfectly okay with the movie being canceled. I was actually irritated when they announced it, 3 was such a brilliant bookend to a perfect trilogy of movies. I feel making any more beyond that cheapens and even betrays that experience.

michmousefan

I'm obviously saying this as someone who hasn't seen it yet, so my opinion could change when (or if) it releases. The movie could end up being good for all I know.

But yeah, I can't help but feel i'd be perfectly okay with the movie being canceled. I was actually irritated when they announced it, 3 was such a brilliant bookend to a perfect trilogy of movies. I feel making any more beyond that cheapens and even betrays that experience.
Would be interesting if they delayed it and brought back Rashida Jones to write it as she was going to do in the first place. Assuming her initial vision was a good one...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom