News Lasseter taking leave of absence

the.dreamfinder

I'm sure it was but the fact that Disney didn't just pulp the release or rerecord the audio may give some hints that they intend him to return.
One wonders if Disney is intentionally delaying the opening of Toy Story Land so he can attend the grand opening. His “sabbatical”, read suspension, expires at the end of May.

FrankLapidus

We expect him to not come back. Nothing is official and Disney won’t even comment on the company investigating misconduct. Iger might think they could get away with a suspension and a slap on the wrist.

(FWIW, I don’t think he’s coming back)

If Iger does think that, in this climate of change that the actions carried out by the likes of Lasseter has brought about, he's crazy.

Disney fought the fire, they shunted Lasseter out of the public eye in an effort to contain the story and they'll have spent the time since then figuring out how to move forward without him. If Lasseter does come back, more stories will come out - Disney won't want that. Lasseter is done and will now more than likely slide away into "retirement".

punkabella

If Lasseter doesn't come back (which is plausible), is there another at Pixar that would help take the lead for all things Pixar related? I know they took turns directing movies, but wasn't sure if someone has step forward a bit more to help become a figurehead of Pixar stuff with Lasseter being gone.

FrankLapidus

If Lasseter doesn't come back (which is plausible), is there another at Pixar that would help take the lead for all things Pixar related? I know they took turns directing movies, but wasn't sure if someone has step forward a bit more to help become a figurehead of Pixar stuff with Lasseter being gone.

Pete Docter would be among the frontrunners, and most fans' choice I'd wager. Andrew Stanton would more than likely be in the equation as well.

It has been reported that neither WDAS and Pixar will have a single head of studio and instead there will be two or three people in charge.

CJR

I think Lasseter is done as a leader. BUT it's pretty obvious he isn't be scrubbed from company history. They would have removed his name and clips already if they were going to do that.

I think he might make future appearances, like being present at the Toy Story Land opening, but won't be running the show anymore. He'll be one of those who will pop in and say hi every so often while he enjoys his "retirement". They'll protect his legacy at Pixar while sweeping the bad PR under the rug. If someone does ask about anything, they'll deflect it... "nothing to see here folks".

Whatever they end up doing, they'll make it seem as though everyone involved had control over it and made the decision themselves. Disney is great at make believe, even to the point where I think they actually believe the stuff they sometimes make up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's an unspoken detente with JL accusers. They just don't want him in a position of power where he can abuse more people. As long as he's out, they won't kick up a fuss about his legacy. So, need need to scrub history. But if Disney ever put him back, the lawsuits would fly. He ain't coming back.

FrankLapidus

I think Lasseter is done as a leader. BUT it's pretty obvious he isn't be scrubbed from company history. They would have removed his name and clips already if they were going to do that.

I think he might make future appearances, like being present at the Toy Story Land opening, but won't be running the show anymore. He'll be one of those who will pop in and say hi every so often while he enjoys his "retirement". They'll protect his legacy at Pixar while sweeping the bad PR under the rug. If someone does ask about anything, they'll deflect it... "nothing to see here folks".

Whatever they end up doing, they'll make it seem as though everyone involved had control over it and made the decision themselves. Disney is great at make believe, even to the point where I think they actually believe the stuff they sometimes make up.

Trying to scrub him from history just brings him more fully into the limelight; the Pixar story cannot be told without acknowledging Lasseter's pivotal part in it, properties he created like Toy Story and Cars are among the most popular, and lucrative, in TWDC's portfolio. He can't be scrubbed from history.

But the idea of him being brought out for public appearances, like the opening of Toy Story Land, makes absolutely no sense to me; why would Disney overshadow something like that by having John Lasseter present? It's akin to self-sabotage - the man's reputation is in tatters, there are some very damning questions still to be asked of the extent to which the most prominent figures within TWDC were aware of his behaviour and sought to cover it up. What is going to get more traction in the media in the current climate, the opening of TSL or the appearance of man who has abused his position of power in such ways as Lasseter has?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There's an unspoken detente with JL accusers. They just don't want him in a position of power where he can abuse more people. As long as he's out, they won't kick up a fuss about his legacy. So, need need to scrub history. But if Disney ever put him back, the lawsuits would fly. He ain't coming back.
Except that his "abuse," such as it was, wasn't particularly damning. It sounds like some inappropriate behavior occurred, but he's not a Weinstein-level predator, at least from what we've heard so far.

Sped2424

Except that his "abuse," such as it was, wasn't particularly damning. It sounds like some inappropriate behavior occurred, but he's not a Weinstein-level predator, at least from what we've heard so far.
You need to remember what we've heard isn't all that occured. And that as others have stated many aren't saying anything on the condition he doesn't return. He doesn't have to be at Weinstein levels to lose his job over abuse of his station.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

A few articles I read indicating a few individuals had more specific damning stories to tell and JL's removal forestalled them going public. But, that's just hearsay.

FrankLapidus

We know that he put his hands on women in ways that violated personal and professional boundaries, and did so for a long time because his position within Disney meant that those who should have done something about it were prepared to turn a blind eye to his behaviour. It is damning, not simply in regards to Lasseter but also those who knew what he was doing and allowed him to get away with it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You need to remember what we've heard isn't all that occured. And that as others have stated many aren't saying anything on the condition he doesn't return. He doesn't have to be at Weinstein levels to lose his job over abuse of his station.
Then why bother with the six month leave of absence in the first place? John Skipper at ESPN didn't get the same treatment, he was out permanently right from the beginning.

We know that he put his hands on women in ways that violated personal and professional boundaries, and did so for a long time because his position within Disney meant that those who should have done something about it were prepared to turn a blind eye to his behaviour. It is damning, not simply in regards to Lasseter but also those who knew what he was doing and allowed him to get away with it.
Of course, I'm just saying I don't think it's legacy-defining. Thomas Jefferson, Henry Ford, Gandhi, FDR, etc. are all flawed men but they're still remembered for the great things that they brought to the world. We're complicated creatures and sometimes artistic genius is wrapped up in a sinful (even occasionally evil) package.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom