News Lasseter taking leave of absence

21stamps

I didn’t vote for Clinton or for Trump and I agree with you that Clinton should not get a free pass just because he was/is more supportive of women’s rights or was/is a more likeable person than Trump or whatever other reasons are out there that tries to justify why he isn’t lumped into the same group as the rest of the guilty.

Having said that, I don’t believe it is helpful to go after people who voted for either of them. People cast their votes for a plethora of reasons. The article that was posted in here that started this specific aspect of the conversation was about women who enable men to get away with continuing to sexually assault others, and some do this even when they know/suspect that their is truth to the allegations. Anyway, it is a complicated subject. Sometimes people have a really hard time believing that someone who has never harmed them could harm others. People are truly ignorant for many different reasons. But certainly when there is no ignorance and someone tries to cover up for someone they know is guilty, there is a serious issue and their should be real consequences for doing that...imo.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

21stamps

Maybe I don't watch enough news channels, I can't stomach much news anymore, but this didn't seem to really gain any media traction, IMO. No one's really talking about this aside from the Disney community and some articles.

I just had an almost 2 week break from being cut off from all news.. (except for one day checking college football scores ;) ) It was wonderful.
Then I come back to reality.. apparently a lot happened in my absence, but I wouldn’t expect any less in the year 2017.lol

the.dreamfinder

Maybe I don't watch enough news channels, I can't stomach much news anymore, but this didn't seem to really gain any media traction, IMO. No one's really talking about this aside from the Disney community and some articles.
When a report comes out with victims on the record, it will gain more traction. Zenia’s earning her salary right now trying to kill anything like that.

Kman101

I just had an almost 2 week break from being cut off from all news.. (except for one day checking college football scores ;) ) It was wonderful.
Then I come back to reality.. apparently a lot happened in my absence, but I wouldn’t expect any less in the year 2017.lol

I'm so beyond burned out at news. I used to really look forward to my local morning news and then I'd watch Good Morning America and now I just can't sit through it anymore lol. Just so sensationalized anymore. I scan social media so I get enough from there to keep up LOL.

Kman101

When a report comes out with victims on the record, it will gain more traction. Zenia’s earning her salary right now trying to kill anything like that.

That makes sense. I just happened to be thinking about this this morning and realized I hadn't seen the mass coverage like we are seeing with the others, but that's because accusers have come forward. And I admit I haven't read everything about Lasseter at the moment, I'm really REALLY behind on this thread, but it seems they've spun it as, basically he's got a drinking problem and he likes to grope women. So far we haven't gotten anything like we've heard from the other stories. Curious to see where this goes. Really sad though that these men (and I'm a man so it's sad to see so many men are messed up and disgusting animals) are doing this but I'm glad women (and men) feel empowered now to finally say something. I imagine there's SO many we haven't heard about yet.

It's disturbing the culture has been "shrug it off" and so many people have gotten away with this kind of behavior.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm so beyond burned out at news. I used to really look forward to my local morning news and then I'd watch Good Morning America and now I just can't sit through it anymore lol. Just so sensationalized anymore. I scan social media so I get enough from there to keep up LOL.

I tend to watch the BBC\NHK for my news as US press is beyond useless, theve become 'Politicians with Bylines'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That makes sense. I just happened to be thinking about this this morning and realized I hadn't seen the mass coverage like we are seeing with the others, but that's because accusers have come forward. And I admit I haven't read everything about Lasseter at the moment, I'm really REALLY behind on this thread, but it seems they've spun it as, basically he's got a drinking problem and he likes to grope women. So far we haven't gotten anything like we've heard from the other stories. Curious to see where this goes. Really sad though that these men (and I'm a man so it's sad to see so many men are messed up and disgusting animals) are doing this but I'm glad women (and men) feel empowered now to finally say something. I imagine there's SO many we haven't heard about yet.

It's disturbing the culture has been "shrug it off" and so many people have gotten away with this kind of behavior.

He's an alcoholic with wandering hands not that makes it right but he's not a predator like the others. If you have an alcoholic family member as I do one understands the Dr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde nature of the behavior.

It does not EXCUSE IT by any means. And Disney is indeed at fault for not INSISTING JL get the professional help he needed (as per D23 debacle).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Tread lightly on this topic here, lots of enablers who would support this piece of excrement no matter what he did or does.

And, unlike John Lasseter -- who isn't coming back, there isn't a family friendly, squeaky clean image to uphold with the WH resident. He never pretended to be anything other than what he was. The people who support him, support all sorts of repugnant activity. They probably think Roy Moore is just swell too!

Sad, but true!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I am very sorry. Clearly, you had a horrible incident in your family that I missed reading here.

I will only add that no one knows what it is like to be a victim until they are. I was the victim of violence, not the sexual type, and it really messed with my mind for years ... to some extent, it still does, as the police didn't believe me at first.

We love to blame victims in this country. But that also has to do with the fact the people have almost no say in what goes on (see: tonight's grotesque Senate side show). Human lives don't matter to our President and most of our politicians and that is ultimately our fault. They haven't been forced to do their jobs and work for us for a very, very long time. But I digressed. It takes a lot of courageous to place personal pain out on a forum, especially one where all minds are not created equal. You have my respect.

I'm really sorry to read you've been a victim of violence. Shocked the police didn't believe you initially. Our institutions are failing us, both as citizens and as a society. We need to fix ASAP.

the.dreamfinder

I've noticed a lot of people turning to the BBC news and I may give it a go. I can't stand how sensationalized our media is.
YMMV on this, but supporting news orgs with your $$$ is very important. UK citizens pay a licensing fee for the BBC. They may not be perfect, but I have no problem send the New York Times $15 each month for my digital subscription. Here in Philly, WHYY has a great local news service/radio show called NewsWorks that’s better than the junk plyed out by the ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates.

Last edited:

Sonconato

That is a shame. I know that with regards to my own daughter, we initially had her meet with a psychiatrist a couple times and then two different psychologists but she rejected counseling altogether. She just refused and we were basically told that the best thing for her, regarding professional counseling, would be to to just make sure she knew that it was available to her if she ever decided that she wanted it. We did report everything to the police, but that turned out to be a nightmare, and I think it may actually have something to do with why she has always refused counseling. Long story, but the normal people that dealt with sex crimes against children were not in the building at the time we were at the police station and the person that did interview my daughter made us wait in a different room while they did it, even though she was screaming bloody murder for us the whole time. That whole experience definitely made her fear the police station for a really long time. Fortunately we were able to easily get a restraining order to keep her attacker away, but then his family retaliated by trying to bring charges and a restraining order against me for supposedly making death threats against their son (which I did not do) and they managed to turn a bunch of my friends from church against us for a time until the guy publicly admitted everything. What a nightmare. Anyway, that is part of the reason I will ALWAYS give the victim the benefit of the doubt.
I'm so sorry for what your family went through. I can't even imagine how horrible it must of been. I agree give the victim the benefit of the doubt.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And yet all the accusers back off. Paid off, scared off? Without people following through in their allegations there will be no change. #Metoo

The accusers prefer being employed to life on the street. The predators do a good job of making victims who will not shut up 'unemployed and unemployable' its the power differential which facilitates this kind of abuse

bclane

I'm so sorry for what your family went through. I can't even imagine how horrible it must of been. I agree give the victim the benefit of the doubt.
Thank you Sonconato. I think people would be shocked to know how much their support or lack thereof can mean to a person who has been assaulted. Giving them the benefit of the doubt right from the start will actually help people get on the road to recovery sooner. When people make accusations that they are lying, delusional, or somehow culpable, it just tears them down even further, making their recovery that much harder.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm really sorry to read you've been a victim of violence. Shocked the police didn't believe you initially. Our institutions are failing us, both as citizens and as a society. We need to fix ASAP.

The problem is one of accountability where our so called public servants increasingly serve only themselves and are unanswerable to the public

21stamps

Thank you Sonconato. I think people would be shocked to know how much their support or lack thereof can mean to a person who has been assaulted. Giving them the benefit of the doubt right from the start will actually help people get on the road to recovery sooner. When people make accusations that they are lying, delusional, or somehow culpable, it just tears them down even further, making their recovery that much harder.

Yes, I agree.
However, I think events such as the Duke Lacrosse Team accusations should also make us pause to rush to conviction of everyone and anyone accused.

Believe the victim on their initial claims.. but react with due diligence in investigating at the same time.

Imo there should also be harsh punishments for those who make wrongful accusations aka- lies.. this would deter those kind of actions.

bclane

Yes, I agree.
However, I think events such as the Duke Lacrosse Team accusations should also make us pause to rush to conviction of everyone and anyone accused.

Believe the victim on their initial claims.. but react with due diligence in investigating at the same time.

Imo there should also be harsh punishments for those who make wrongful accusations aka- lies.. this would deter those kind of actions.
Yes there are those rare instances where a person has lied about being a victim of rape/sexual assault for whatever reason, and that is an especially heinous crime imo and should be prosecuted as such. However, the vast majority of victims are not lying and we would do well to remember that as a society. No one that claims to be a victim should be brushed aside. Yes, all claims should be fully investigated. But this is a very sensitive issue and the greatest care should be taken to insure that the victim feels supported throughout the process. There should always be follow through and support. Always.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom