Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence

Suspirian

The normalization of sex outside of marriage has devalued the act. While I don't want to claim this wasn't an issue before the 1960's (we can go back to the days of the silent era and find cases just like the ones being exposed now in Hollywood), I do wonder if there's a direct correlation between the sexual revolution and cases of sexual harassment. It's a pretty well accepted belief that taking in ****ography can lead to far worse actions such as adultery, assault, and other crimes due to its false version of sex and dominance being mistaken for reality. I think I might look into this a bit more, if anyone is interested.

Lets not

Pixieish

The normalization of sex outside of marriage has devalued the act. While I don't want to claim this wasn't an issue before the 1960's (we can go back to the days of the silent era and find cases just like the ones being exposed now in Hollywood), I do wonder if there's a direct correlation between the sexual revolution and cases of sexual harassment. It's a pretty well accepted belief that taking in ****ography can lead to far worse actions such as adultery, assault, and other crimes due to its false version of sex and dominance being mistaken for reality. I think I might look into this a bit more, if anyone is interested.

I would honestly surprised if there wasn't some direct evidence of things getting worse post-sexual revolution. The idea of "free love" has ironically cost us way more than anyone could have ever predicted.

Oh I'm sure it goes waaaaaay back further than that. It would make for an interesting read, without a doubt.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
This has been going on FOREVER...keep going back long before the sexual revolution - https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...s-mashers-and-stabbed-them-hatpins-180956816/

Women in the early 1900s called men who harassed them on the streets "Mashers" because they would literally mash up against the woman. Women used hat pins as weapons to get them to back off. This has nothing to do with marriage or sex outside of it. It has to do with people not respecting others.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Brief history of workplace sexual harassment in the US - http://time.com/4286575/sexual-harassment-before-anita-hill/

"For most of American history, women silently endured mistreatment in the workplace, with little protection or recourse. During the 18th and 19th centuries, sexual coercion was a fact of life for female slaves in the South, as well as a common experience among free domestic workers in the North. In the early 20th century, women employed in new manufacturing and clerical positions confronted physical and verbal assaults from male supervisors. Union leadership was successful in enacting protective legislation that shielded women from performing physically demanding labor, but not from the propositions of lecherous bosses. By the 1920s, working women were advised to simply quit their jobs if they could not handle the inevitable sexual advances.

For decades, there were few significant changes in the ways women were treated at work. Those who complained discovered that sexually predatory behavior on the job was dismissed as trivial and harmless. Women rarely talked openly about the issue, although the situation only became more pressing as their participation in the workforce increased throughout the 1960s and 1970s."

It just keeps going on from there...

Stevek

One of the most simple yet profound quotes I've ever heard is that, "the only reason sex sells, is because people keep buying it". It's a messy subject to get into given the way people feel about censoring vs freedom, and I think to an extent it does boil down the personal responsibility (another messy subject), but yeah. I hope this serves as a wake-up call to people. I mean, its eye-opening when you just sit down and watch television for an hour and count how many times you're exposed to either jokes about sex, innuendo, double entendre, or just flat out the act itself. I am NOT a prude, but the amount of it that has become "normalized" is startling.
It's absolutely been normalized...just spend 30 seconds on your daughters instagram or twitter account and see the pics 14-16 year old girls are posting so they can get attention from boys. My youngest daughter had a friend who in 7th grade was sending nude pics of herself to boys. Girls are being socialized to think that sexualizing themselves at a young age is the way to get boys...and boys are starting to expect that (and more) from girls. Parents are guilty of it too...I can't tell you how many times I've seen moms posting pic of their daughters in bikinis on FB or in clothing that "flaunts their assets" for everyone to see. I find it repulsive, they (parents and kids) do it thinking it's just normal and what everyone else does. I am blessed that both of my daughters have made smart "moral" decisions and kept clear of that nonsense.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

She said her manager kept her out of meetings where Lasseter would be present, telling her it would be best for her not to attend the intimate weekly reviews because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls.”
----------
She said he would walk up to women in the office and kiss them on the lips.

“I found it shocking,” she said. “That’s not a normal way of greeting a colleague.”

She said she also heard from co-workers who told her that they had to hide from Lasseter at wrap parties. She said she never reported these issues because the systems were not in place to address the problem.

DisneyDoctor

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

She said her manager kept her out of meetings where Lasseter would be present, telling her it would be best for her not to attend the intimate weekly reviews because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls.”
----------

“I found it shocking,” she said. “That’s not a normal way of greeting a colleague.”

She said she also heard from co-workers who told her that they had to hide from Lasseter at wrap parties. She said she never reported these issues because the systems were not in place to address the problem.
Wow. If, after a review of these claims, there aren't any systems in place to deal with these problems Pixar is going to be in a world of trouble. It won't be just John Lassater looking bad. Regardless, though, something needs to be said about the overall attitude towards these types of problems around the company. If this woman didn't feel comfortable coming forward, system in place or not, then Pixar failed it's employees.

flynnibus

Premium Member
giphy.gif

TP2000

----------

Oh my God. That makes it sound like 2017 Disney/Pixar is a seedier version of the sleazy Madison Avenue offices on Mad Men circa 1964.

I posted this over on the Pixar Pier thread, but a quick Google search tells us that the top HR exec for Disney is a woman named Jayne Parker. Since 2009 she has been the Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer for the Walt Disney Company (Phew!). Her official Disney corporate bio is glowing about all the fabulous work she has done in the last decade to make Disney "more inclusive". (That's a smarmy corporate buzzword that always makes me throw up a little) https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/jayne-parker/

She also "launched a women's initiative", whatever that may mean.

Apparently Ms. Parker hasn't done that good of a job if the very top levels of Disney execs were behaving like John Lassetter behaved. And if his victims were never reporting the assaults and problems because systems were not in place to address them. Yikes. :eek:

Ismael Flores

Also, to use the fact that a "hug from a person or a simple kiss of affection" was commonly used for many years is just plain wrong. Times change, and with that cultural norms change. For hundreds of years it was okay to treat people of different color poorly, now it's not. So, if John Lassester was a racist, by your argument that's okay because it was done in the past.
I understand what you are saying but I find it interesting that in many cultures it is still a common thing to greet someone with a possible hug or kiss just seems that we here in the states have gotten more critical of some things. I have traveled to almost 49 countries and have encounter dozens of places wether it be Europe, Asia or Latin America where a simple hug, a kiss on either cheek or on the hand is simply I form of respect and hello.
Of course there will always be creepy people but that is when a person should be out spoken and at the moment say something.
Again not defending those that go to far but there is no denying that now a days everyone is way to fragile and everything or anything offends one person or another

DisneyDoctor

I understand what you are saying but I find it interesting that in many cultures it is still a common thing to greet someone with a possible hug or kiss just seems that we here in the states have gotten more critical of some things. I have traveled to almost 49 countries and have encounter dozens of places wether it be Europe, Asia or Latin America where a simple hug, a kiss on either cheek or on the hand is simply I form of respect and hello.
Of course there will always be creepy people but that is when a person should be out spoken and at the moment say something.
Again not defending those that go to far but there is no denying that now a days everyone is way to fragile and everything or anything offends one person or another
You're delusional. This fragility you speak of may be relevant in other situations, but with respect to women being taken advantage of by men of power, being "too fragile" should NEVER be an excuse. You are literally blaming the women working at Pixar who were taken advantage of for being too fragile. It's people like you that allow this perverted culture to live on. Telling someone who's been taken advantage of that they're "too fragile." Get out of here with that bs. That's ridiculous.

DisneyDoctor

Also, this is the USA, not one of your European countries that you've been to. What's culturally normal in Europe has absolutely no bearing on unsolicited workplace creepiness. Literally none! Please, if you're going to rebuttal to this problem THAT IS OCCURRING IN THE USA don't cite your experiences in a foreign country.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
When I lived in Mexico, yes people greet each other with a quick kiss. I don't think anyone except some elderly ladies ever actually kissed me thought most just put their cheek near yours and you do a quick air kiss. That is part of Mexican culture. But this is the US not a foreign country. Americans greet with handshakes for formal occasions and hugs and kisses for family and friends not bosses to their employees. I would also like to know the country where it is acceptible to greet your employees by kissing them on the lips? Lasseter was born and raised int he US he should be well aware of what is acceptable in US culture.

Pixieish

Also, this is the USA, not one of your European countries that you've been to. What's culturally normal in Europe has absolutely no bearing on unsolicited workplace creepiness. Literally none! Please, if you're going to rebuttal to this problem THAT IS OCCURRING IN THE USA don't cite your experiences in a foreign country.
This has nothing to do with hugs and cheek-kissing. This has everything to do with a man in power pushing boundaries and being a flat-out handsy creep.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you, lol...hit reply on the wrong post.

Pixieish

You're talking about something totally different. This is NOT hugs and cheek kisses as a greeting. This guy has behaved like a handsy creep. When women are advised not to attend meetings because he may not be able to control himself or a defensive move is designed to keep his hands from riding up your leg, there's a major issue going on.

D

Deleted member 107043

I have traveled to almost 49 countries and have encounter dozens of places wether it be Europe, Asia or Latin America where a simple hug, a kiss on either cheek or on the hand is simply I form of respect and hello.

At work? Between opposite sexes? I've traveled a ton from Europe to Australia to Asia for both business and pleasure and Ive never been anyplace where.it was proper to touch, hug or/and kiss people you were unfamiliar with, or do so in a work setting. Especially not with a senior executive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom